It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shaw may go ahead with usage-based Internet Billing (Canada)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - It's a plan that has drawn condemnation from web-surfers and online gamers all over BC. This morning, there is word Shaw Communications is going to move forward with usage-based billing.

OpenMedia.ca has posted a recording of a conference call between shareholders and top executives at Shaw that apparently took place April 13th.

The non-profit advocacy group says in the recording, Shaw admits it plans to go ahead with internet metering. "Our customers have said they are willing to pay more for a higher quality of service," says CEO Bradley S. Shaw.

One shareholder asked if this would happen this year. "We are certainly going to clarify our pricing and packaging plans probably in the late spring, probably late May or early June," he added.

Source

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I thought that we fought this down a few months ago with the petition but obviously Shaw isn't getting the message from Canadians.

I'm contacting Shaw tomorrow on behalf of my account and telling them that if they switch over to UBB I will immediately terminate my services. All Of Them.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Pay more for better quality? Yes.. Makes sense.
Define "better quality" tho SHAW. Charging 5$ a month for each GB?.. Might work for some.

I pay 45$ a month for 25mpbs Fiber Optik TELUS Internet. It works amazing.
I have the ability, with enough seeds, to download at 4.5/MBs and obtain a Blue-Ray DVD, 7.8gb, in the time it takes to have a shower. lol.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Same with my Aliant Fios internet.

And it's 30 up 30 down as well, it's incredibly fast. UBB billing will never work out for them with Telus and Aliant and soon Rogers providing house to house fiber.

There's no point in capping fiber on anybody, it's just silly.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
We need more competition up here. You can choose Shaw or Telus where I live. They both have identical price schemes, the only difference is whether you get a toaster or Ipod for signing up...Boy oh boy, decisions, decisions.
Can someone bi*ch-slap the CRTC, please? They don't know the meaning of the word free-market.
Don't even get me started on ICBC...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
"Better quality of service"? I still spend about an hour waiting to speak to a representative when my internet goes down with Shaw.

If all ISPs go UBB than I guess I will be camping out at my college for free WiFi.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
As I can understand it, this will have two main advantages for TPTB!

1. More profit for the IP companies.

2. Any individual who does not have much money is going to be severely mouth and mouse zipped because they will not be able to afford to use the internet.

This kind of decision coupled with this news article currently being aired on the BBC's News Page about Super Injunctions being enforced on the Internet as a way of forcing restrictions on information by legislation and the Courts, make for a very "controlled" internet in the future.

Is the web waging war on super-injunctions?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

"Our customers have said they are willing to pay more for a higher quality of service," says CEO Bradley S. Shaw.

And how many customers spoke against such a scheme?

ANyway, does this mean that usage will be capped, a la Rogers ($50 for 60GB plan)?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Check out Teksavvy been using them for years. No contracts or extra fees, unlimited internet Up to 5M/800k $39.95/Month or 640k/512k $24.95/Month .. unlimited bandwidth on both those packages. They're really up-front about all the charges and have great tech support. They also have random customer draws

Not only do they fight for their customers regarding issues of restricting the internet, they email their customers to let us know about issues that can effect us. Teksavvy News like TekSavvy vs. Bell on the Lang & O'Leary Exchange and TekSavvy Responds To CRTC Decision on Internet User Fees

I've never been with an ISP like this before, I think they're one of the best out there

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
As far as I can figure, Shaw doesn't offer its customers to have any sort of way to check your usage. How do I even know how much bandwidth I am consuming..?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I had a friend who was with Telus and she constantly went over her monthly allowed usage and would be bombarded with letters in the mail threatening additional charges if she didn't stop downloading so much. I've never had that experience with Shaw (yet) so they seem a little more lenient as of now with the usage. Maybe they believe they are hemorrhaging money.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Same with my Aliant Fios internet.

And it's 30 up 30 down as well, it's incredibly fast. UBB billing will never work out for them with Telus and Aliant and soon Rogers providing house to house fiber.

There's no point in capping fiber on anybody, it's just silly.

~Keeper

I got to check that out.
30 Mb duplex, holy crap batman.

25/2 right now with Telus, if I had a 30/30 connection I would upload unbelievable amounts.

I get in trouble month from either shaw or telus, they can't do anything though. I have done it for years...

Pred...
edit on 25-4-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Just goes to show. corporations are the same in every country, they wanna charge ya more for less. If that doesnt work then theyll buy your elected officials and get there pay hikes in through regulation.

Go free market capitalism woot!!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
WOW, i can't believe they're actually going with this... I was talking about data usage to a Shaw technician when he came to my house to replace my modem, and he said that they only give out warnings, or suggest to you to upgrade if you reach past your bandwidth level. that was about a month ago. i hope it doesn't take into effect for a while considering right now I have a 100gb monthly bandwidth, and I'm 50gb over it this month!! Netflix is a killer on bandwidth

edit on 4/26/2011 by blackhawk420 because: adding a sentence

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LS650

If you go to online customer care at secure.shaw.ca and setup an account you can check your bandwidth there i check it out all the time.

new topics

top topics

join