It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans ignore the will of the people over taxes, again.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't know what the makeup of the senate and house is California, but the people that are in both were put there in the last election, via the will of the people. As was the governor. Just because you, the OP, don't agree with a certain vote doesn't mean that the will of the people is being circumvented.

Checks and balances work better than some people perceive, as does a dual party system. Both sides of the argument are usually presented. Look at the hi jinks that took place nationally when the Senate, House and Presidency is handed to one party. The two parties may be very similar all too often, but at least stuff isn't just crammed down ones throat without being properly debated.
edit on 25-4-2011 by croweboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Both sides ignore the will of the people........
Been that way forever......

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

We have a republic, not a democracy brother. No where does it state we have a democracy

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Taxes aren't going to fix what's wrong with any state, much less this country. I seriously, seriously doubt every one of those people are willing to pay higher taxes, and if they do, good for them, they can send their checks in directly to their nearest city hall or governmental structure.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Why hasn't anyone mentioned a flat tax? Flat tax doesn't punish the rich nor gives a break to the poor. EVERYONE pays their share. I think the problem with a flat tax is that, when the government wants to raise taxes everyone gets hit. So it becomes very clear that the government is screwing up. It puts a fixed income on government and a magnifying glass on the inefficiences of government and the liberal desire to consistently spend more than they take in.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Reply to post by Kaiju

A flat tax takes away the single most divisive political maneuvering tool this nation has.

Consequently nobody will ever let it come to be.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

60% favor?, have you looked at the polling data?

First off,
page 12 of the polling data, item 56......
Question: Pass a bill in the state legislature before June 30th to increase the income tax and extend the current rates for the sales tax and vehicle license fee that were raised in 2009 and are set to expire.

total favor..........42
total opposed..... 53

How does that translate to 60%, and does that not by definition mean, the "will of the people" IS no tax increases?

Second,
Page 15 of the polling data, item 71...
Question: Finally, i would like to ask you some questions for statistical purposes. Generally speaking, do you think of your self as a Republican, a Democrat or what?

Strong Democrat.......23
Weak Democrat.......20
Lean Democrat........11

Independent.............9

Lean Republican...........9
Weak Republican ...........12
Strong Republican ........15

total........53% Democrat, 9% Independent and 37% Republican

How is this a fair sampling of the population, why not poll evenly?

Polling data should not be used to determine what the "will of the people" is, because it can be swayed to prove or disprove what ever you want your message to be. Lastly, how does sampling 2,632 people giving their opinion represent all the other 33,000,000 residents of our state?

Looking at polls does not tell us the "will of the people", unless the poll includes "all" of the people. Or, am I wrong?

source:
gqrr.com...

LonexxWolf

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

This pole is flawed the people are not agreeing to a tax increase. What they are agreeing to is to keep a temporary tax increase all ready in effect since 2009. Given the choice of keeping current taxes or slashing services of course people say keep the taxes. The catch is even with current tax increase in place they are still in the red. So in reality it is no help to keep the temporary tax in place if the budget isnt cut. And this means the poll is well for lack of a better term stupid for even trying to make this an alternative to budget cuts!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
OK, a response from a Libertarian.

They may or may not be ignoring the will of the people. Obviously they were elected so the will of the people of the entire state is not their concern, nor should it be. They may very well be representing their constituents by opposing the moves since not all the people in Cali agree with higher taxes.

I don't expect my congressman to care one whit what the voters of Maryland or Texas want, only what we want. The linkage between an opinion poll and republican action doesn't necessarily exist.

As for how California operates, it's up to that state how to run themselves and how progressive or conservative to be. If conservatives, me among them, agree with State's rights, then any state may have a Universal Healthcare system itself in the same way that another may choose an all private and no public route. That is the beauty of the State's rights system.

I really question the conservative nature of many of my "conservative" brothers and sisters I've seen around of late.

Peace
KJ

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

It appears to be legit. A little reaserch of 2 minutes I found who ran the poll.
www.ppic.org...
They appear to be legit.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I would hazard to guess that most of the Californians who want higher taxes are on welfare or other government assistance programs. Otherwise there is nothing stopping people from donating money to local and state governments.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
California, like the US, cannot control its spending. There is more than enough money in the budget to handle all the costs needed to keep the State running well. Corruption in government results in people feeding money to their cronies as if there was no bottom to the barrel of money that can be taken from citizens.

Republicans are wrong, too. They should want to help the poor, and stop putting the burden on the people who are unable to work or take care of themselves, while at the same time failing to tax giant corporations.

The tax laws need to be rewritten by the people.

I propose a flat sales tax, and a flat tax on businesses. Level the playing field. It shouldn't depend on who can afford the best tax attorneys.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

This is how people feel all over the country. I posted a thread about a week ago about the budget debate, and I posted the results of a WSJ/NBC poll to illustrate the point that Washington politicians are completely out of touch with Americans on this issue of the budget. I'll post some of the results here again, because they are just as relevant, and basically prove your point but on a national level.

77% felt it was "mostly or totally unacceptable" to cut Social Security.
77% felt it was "mostly or totally unacceptable" to cut Education
76% felt it was"mostly or totally unacceptable" to cut Medicare
67% felt it was "mostly or totally unacceptable" to cut Medicaid

80% felt would be "mostly or totally acceptable" to tax millionaires
78% felt it would be "mostly or totally acceptable" to eliminate earmarks
76% felt it would be "mostly or totally acceptable" to eliminate necessary weapons systems from defense
74% felt it would be "mostly or totally acceptable" to eliminate tax credits for oil & gas companies
68% felt it would be "mostly or totally acceptable" to "phase out Bush tax cuts for those making over 250,000"

And since there are always people that want to scream "BIAS", well you can go to the poll and see how the questions were asked and they are pretty fair in that respect...and as far as respondents go, actually there were more people who call themselves "conservatives" in this poll than "liberals": 36% identified as "somewhat or very conservative", 38% as "moderate", and only 24% as "somewhat or very liberal" (with the rest being "not sure").

(Source)

Polls serve a purpose, and it's to gauge the general feelings of people, anyone who wants to go all extreme in either direction (i.e. dismissing polls altogether, or deferring too much to them) is totally missing the point.
edit on 26-4-2011 by meeneecat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Sometimes, higher taxes are the answer.

The OP was obviously trying to address the concept of one side ignoring 'the will of the people', did you all forget the polls from the health care debate? "Obama's ignoring the will of the people!"

Don't try to peddle this 'only people who don't pay taxes want to raise them' non-sense. 47% pay no taxes? I smell cow dung. That argument is so convoluted and shortsighted...Everyone pays taxes in one way or another. If you buy anything from a store, you pay sales tax. If you drive a car or truck and pay for gas, you pay gas tax. There's also the payroll taxes a lot of us pay.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join