It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is “Portal 2″ Safe for the Christain Family? [Prepare for epic facepalm]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

As a Christian father, I choose not to allow video games into my household, but occasionally my boys will have sleep overs with other Christian families that might be more lax than ours. Imagine my surprise the other day when I overheard my second oldest boy talking about a video game he had played at a friend’s house. As soon as I heard the name “Portal 2”, my suspicions grew and I immediately found myself wondering which body part the game might be referring to.

I rushed to the computer that I keep locked away from my impressionable children, and what I found was truly disturbing. Just 10 minutes of Bing research produced so much evidence that this game was a homosexual recruitment tool that I have now forbidden it. You better believe that I called the other father and gave him a good talking to. As a devout Christian, he agreed with me and has now burned his Portal 2 DVD on his barbeque grill to make sure this threat to his family is gone for good.

Here are some of the things I have learned: This game is made by Valve software, a wholly owned subsidiary of NAMBLA – the people who invented child molestation. Just the name “valve” produces images in the mind of a Christian man that should not be there.

christwire.org...

Okay admittedly he's trolling. Either that or very stupid. But still.

edit on 4/24/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Is this the kid's mom?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e339d34cde0b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
All I can say is some people are retarded!!!

Im not bashing faith everyone has a right to spirituality but COME ON, if this actually happened then I feel so sorry for the children!

It is this sort of parenting that makes children rebel,

And as for the whole homosexual recruitment tool well I played all the Half Life games and portal one and I am still batting for the correct team!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Wow, this is hilarious. Thank you for sharing, I really *really* needed a good laugh.

S+F!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.
You should watch that new comedy called Paul with the Alien. It tries to destroy the christian/catholic belief calling it a mockery.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Wow, this is hilarious. Thank you for sharing, I really *really* needed a good laugh.

S+F!

You're welcome. Anytime

Have a good Easter.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
All I can say is some people are retarded!!!

Im not bashing faith everyone has a right to spirituality but COME ON, if this actually happened then I feel so sorry for the children!

It is this sort of parenting that makes children rebel,

And as for the whole homosexual recruitment tool well I played all the Half Life games and portal one and I am still batting for the correct team!

It's a satire website. So it is trolling. But I'd imagine some people think similar to this. Luckily MOST Christians don't.

Edit: That pic scares me...what is it? lol
edit on 4/24/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Is this the kid's mom?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e339d34cde0b.jpg[/atsimg]

Yes.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
This is ridiculous.
You should watch that new comedy called Paul with the Alien. It tries to destroy the christian/catholic belief calling it a mockery.

List of Movies to not watch:

. Paul

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
That was very amusing.

That guy is definitely trolling though,imo

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I don't think he's trolling and it doesn't have anything to do with christianity.

There are a lot of people who generally think, that video games are bad and need to be banned, burned and whatnot. They're mostly older people...it's evident once you live for 5 minutes here in Germany: The politicians despise video games and want them banned (and not only that, but want to forbid all to produce 'violent' video games) - a lot of games are either banned or censored, it's a farce really.
And it's mostly older people who never played a game in their life who think the same way. I guess that father is such an example: Never played a game in his life, only heard or read about how 'bad' they are and jump to the conclussion. Judging a game by it's title is stupid...the whole story is epically stupid, but something like that happens all the time. (A fine example would be our biggest newspaper in germany, that basically went on a witchhunt against video games after the massacre in erfurt in 2003 (that hadn't anything to do with video games), telling lies about video games (like 'you kill old people and mothers with children in Counter-Strike) and a lot of people believed it....without ever taking a look at CS. .

Video Games just have a very bad reputation. I guess it takes 10-20 more years, until the older generations died out, the planet will be ruled by people growing up with video games and then it will be a whole lot better (Thinking about...even my fathers plays video games, even the violent ones, we had always so much fun kicking ass in Duke Nukem 3D
)

Back to christianity: There are christian review websites and i thought first "This will be fun", because i thought they will be on a crusade against games...they weren't. Actually they reviewed those games fairly normal and only in the end had a section where they talked about the stuff that isn't appropriate for christians (sex, too much violence, satanic symbols and all the stuff). I was quite surprised and never thought those people could be that objective...they even enjoyed Grand Theft Auto 4, albeit stating, that the violence can be a bit too much and a lot of people will be offended (which is true)
Of course there are troll-websites pretending to be christian-based, but they're are only a mockery

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i think South Park deserves credit.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

I don't think he's trolling and it doesn't have anything to do with christianity.

There are a lot of people who generally think, that video games are bad and need to be banned, burned and whatnot. They're mostly older people...it's evident once you live for 5 minutes here in Germany: The politicians despise video games and want them banned (and not only that, but want to forbid all to produce 'violent' video games) - a lot of games are either banned or censored, it's a farce really.
And it's mostly older people who never played a game in their life who think the same way. I guess that father is such an example: Never played a game in his life, only heard or read about how 'bad' they are and jump to the conclussion. Judging a game by it's title is stupid...the whole story is epically stupid, but something like that happens all the time. (A fine example would be our biggest newspaper in germany, that basically went on a witchhunt against video games after the massacre in erfurt in 2003 (that hadn't anything to do with video games), telling lies about video games (like 'you kill old people and mothers with children in Counter-Strike) and a lot of people believed it....without ever taking a look at CS. .

Video Games just have a very bad reputation. I guess it takes 10-20 more years, until the older generations died out, the planet will be ruled by people growing up with video games and then it will be a whole lot better (Thinking about...even my fathers plays video games, even the violent ones, we had always so much fun kicking ass in Duke Nukem 3D
)

Back to christianity: There are christian review websites and i thought first "This will be fun", because i thought they will be on a crusade against games...they weren't. Actually they reviewed those games fairly normal and only in the end had a section where they talked about the stuff that isn't appropriate for christians (sex, too much violence, satanic symbols and all the stuff). I was quite surprised and never thought those people could be that objective...they even enjoyed Grand Theft Auto 4, albeit stating, that the violence can be a bit too much and a lot of people will be offended (which is true)
Of course there are troll-websites pretending to be christian-based, but they're are only a mockery

Thank you for writing up that explanation but I should point out the website is a satire website. Just like the Onion.

Although you have a point. Some people are like that.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by molecularstranding
i think South Park deserves credit.

I do not follow?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Also to add on your point about the Christian Review websites:

Well Obviously most Christians are cool people. I like to consider myself as one of those people.

Being Christian doesn't mean that you throw away fun. The people that think that make me sad. You just need to live to a standard. That Standard is really just to make you a better person. Even if you disagree with some of the rules.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

The picture is from a southpark episode about NAMBLA, which is referenced in the fake article

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
It is a satire site - the REALLY SKEERY part is when reality is so close to outlandish satire that it is hard to tell the difference. You go Christwire.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

An attempt at humor i take it, though it missed completely on the portal 2 game, in fact most of there stories are not that funny, and it's hard to know if there serious or joking. Now on to portal, played a little of the first game, and when I get a chance I will try part 2, it's really a good game, though I stopped playing puzzle type games for a while now, portal 2 should be a good game to get back into.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

I know somebody who went/lives sometimes in Germany and thats what he said as well, that they ban a lot of video games there and censor them. And not only violent and hardcore video games such as grand theft auto, but some of the more milder games as well. It's really outdated when it comes to video games over there, at least according to him.

But I never heard that they want to ban video games entirely, thats unsane # without video games I would probably go crazy from all the boredom. Because there is only so much other things you can do like read books or watch tv etc, before you seen all the shows on tv, and get bored with the books and stuff. Like you said It's just the old generation and there ways that really don't get it, I mean to much of anything is not good for you, but to ban something because of that and not understanding it, is just stupid.

top topics

join