It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was SPONGEBOB Emplaced to tell kids its OK to be GAY?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
reply to post by XelNaga

i watch it everyday with my daughter and i have noticed that a few times but then again i question a female cowboy squirrel too? she acts more manly than spongebob does...hes way more effectionent towards the male characters

THAT'S THE JOKE! they are playing around with traditional gender roles to get a laugh! simple as that. it's the same reason the Kids in the Hall were fond of cross-dressing; it's funny!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

i do have no problems with gay people and the way they live their lives i believe they can do what they want and its nobodys business but i cant look at the 2 being equal...if gay was the way then there woulda never been a human race to begin with for us to be talking about this...2 women or 2 men cant have childen without adoption or medical science...its just not the way that humans or any animal race was intended to be when intelligent lifeforms developed

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You gotta have some paranoid brain to see hidden gay messages in spongebob...

I said "I love you to my father" does that make me gay to ? I even hugged him

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

so its intended for people to laugh at gay people ways and lifestyles and say its funny? that seems fair right?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

there are hidden messages in shows and when you watch something everyday like i watch spongebob because my 4 year old cant go a day without then things start to pop out at you..and no,the love for a father is different
edit on 24-4-2011 by gdaub23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
In the immortal words of Margaret Cho... "Spongebob is a sponge..."

"Obviously transexual..." /rollseyes

Long live Spongebob!!!

www.youtube.com...

And besides...you can't trick someone into being gay anymore than you can trick someone into being straight. Maybe instead of looking for ways to critique everything and find fault in it, we should teach children to have confidence in themselves and bolster their self esteem.

edit on 24-4-2011 by BioStatistic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Vandalour

there are hidden messages in shows and when you watch something everyday like i watch spongebob because my 4 year old cant go a day without then things start to pop out at you..and no,the love for a father is different
edit on 24-4-2011 by gdaub23 because: (no reason given)

You say "there are hidden messages in shows"
yes I know there is.. but that dont mean there is in every show in the world

And the things you present as "gay" is not even close to the truth
he hugs and say I love you... is that gay, no

And small kids would not understand these small hidden messengers if there should be some... so please dont deny your kid spoongebob, I watch it myself with great joy, im 28.. and I NEVER seen any hidden messeges, im sure your kid is allright.

you should be more affraid of Disney productions...

edit on 24-4-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I was reading the arguement put forth of the fact that the cartoon is telling young children its ok to be gay and have come to the conclusion that it holds some weight.

There is no need to worry about this, i think its nice that the cartoon is reinforcing the self asteem in children that are hiding the fact that they are gay because they are afraid to tell their parents.

I believe that people should do what they feel like (apart from violent crimes).

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Spogebob couldn't be gay,
He had a squirrel girlfriend.
This proves 2 things actually, not only was he straight but he was cool with interracial relationships.
The only reason you do not see him getting it on with said squirrel is it's a kids show.
Hope it helps.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think the main difference: All of you are adults. You see those shows a different way then kids.
A good example i gave before was Masters of the Universe: It's a cheesy show, basically a 30 minute commercial for the toys. As a kid it was just fun and awesome. Back then we didn't think much about the story, about the characters or even that moral thing at the end, we just watched it, because it was fun, it was entertaining and some of us just wanted to see Skeletor win once.
As an adult i see it different: I see it as a trashy show, cheaply made, laughable (but therefore quite entertaining) and while as a kid i never thought much about the moral thingy, today i think that it wasn't a bad idea.

Same could be said about Spongebob and everything else: Adults see everything with different eyes, they analyze everything (over-analyze it even) and tend to see everything as 'dangerous' .
Like that Lion King thing: When you watch the movie, you don't see it and as a kid you don't even know what it would mean (If it indeed says Sex, the producers still say it's SFX). I saw Lion King in the Cinema with lots of other kids. NO ONE stould up and screamed Sex or immediately started asking what that 'subliminal' thingy is and the parents didn't notice it either. It wasn't until Youtube came up and, after slowing it down enough and saying "It's says SEX' enough people are suddenly shocked.
Does it even say Sex or is it just a 'play your record backwards and you hear satanic messages'-mind thing?

As for the characters again: I rather watch a show with an all male (or all female cast) then having one or two characters of the opposing gender, just so they don't offend anyone, same as having characters from all races and backgrounds in the show...has anyone ever seen the crap of a show called Extreme Ghostbusters? It must be the most political correct show on the planet with all those weird characters belonging all to a different race, belonging to different backgrounds and such....it was stupid and most of the time it doesn't even work out, they tried to hard to please everyone..
Like i said before: Looney Tunes never had a female character and it didn't hurt the show in any way, there wasn't just a need for it. But that doesn't mean that all the characters are gay, right?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Donald Duck & Mickey Mouse need to shed their overbearing girlfriends and become PLAYA'S! That way you'd have something to complain about for real. I don't think you've got anything to worry about with Spongebob.

"More than just neighbors" could easily mean friends and there is no context to suggest any differently. And guys hugging each other is just fine... not something people twist into perversions. That only leaves the clip where Spongebob says "I like Squidward" in a lofty romantic voice. And that is going to lead to someone trying a gay romance? Ummmm.... doubt it!

Your going to have to look for subliminal messaging if you want to find evidence of what you're saying because its never going to obvious on a channel like Nickelodeon. I mean ever notice that his last name is SQUARE PANTS. I'd say start with that and work from there.

Suppose the author of Spongebob is gay... something I've heard is the case. Without specifically ever trying to make any kind of suggestions to kids... its only natural that certain elements are going to come out of the woodwork(pun coincidental) without ever once meaning to implant any suggestions into children. The same 1 in 20 homosexuality statistic is going to apply to cartoon creators as it will apply to everyone else.

I wouldn't want my kids to be gay but Spongebob is funny and well worth the apparently non-existent risk!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

like i said before,sandi is more manly than spongebob so i question her too...shes a cowboy

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I don't know how you can say that heterosexuality is the way nature intended. There's more than enough straight couples to continue breeding. Also, homosexuality has always been present in nature as well. Google is your friend.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

do you trust everything you find while searching with google? i just dont see how you cant see that its the way nature intended us to be...lets say nature intended us all to be gay, then how would any species ever have survived?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Kali74

lets say nature intended us all to be gay, then how would any species ever have survived?

But not all of us are gay. There are gay people and straight people.

YOU watch SpongeBob and it didn't turn you gay.

Children see things different than adults. My brother (8 years old) and I used to watch SpongeBob and he never even thought about the characters sexual orientation, he just watched it because it was fun.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I didn't say nature intended us to be gay, I'm saying nature intended both.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

it comes down to being like a key"males" and the lock"females" it belongs to...the key is made to fit in the lock. its like taking a key to your car and trying to unlock your frontdoor with it...its not what it was intended for and therefore doesnt work...its just that males were meant for one lock"females" and vise versa and the key just doesnt work when you have 2 keys or 2 locks and shouldnt be tried knowing its not intended to be that way

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Another gay bashing thread....

I guess you dont let your child watch 'The Simpsons' either then? Smithers has been in love with Mr Burns since it started.
Marge had a lesbian affair...and there have been several 'gay' story lines in it.

Cant believe you have such narrow mindedness in this day and age !

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Kali74

it comes down to being like a key"males" and the lock"females" it belongs to...the key is made to fit in the lock. its like taking a key to your car and trying to unlock your frontdoor with it...its not what it was intended for and therefore doesnt work...its just that males were meant for one lock"females" and vise versa and the key just doesnt work when you have 2 keys or 2 locks and shouldnt be tried knowing its not intended to be that way

it comes down to oversimplification of very complex issues. men are not keys. women are not locks. the world is a big bad scary place and those subliminal gay spongebob messages really are the least of your worries. as someone else said, you watch SBSP and you have not been turned gay!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

I guess it helps if you WANT to open the lock. I get it though, you're one of those "I'm not gay, I support gays, but..." right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join