It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koran-burning pastor Terry Jones jailed for refusing to pay a $1 'peace' bond

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

WOW you have it backward. Are you suggesting that those people who crashed into buildings killing many innocent people, ARE HERO'S? standing up for their rights? Those same people who torture and kill innocent men, women and children of their own people for having differing views? Those are your hero's?

I answered that in the next paragraph; stop putting words in my mouth.
Your example does fail because you fail to understand WHY it happened. Again, I do not condone their actions but you have to be blind if you don't see how the US are being bullies. Just look at how long the embargo on Cuba has lasted, and do you even know why?

Embargos are definitely one of their main tools.

When they can't control a government they prevent any goods from reaching their country or enter theirs and then they try and sway the global community to do the same with economic and political tactics and when one of them doesn't comply they change the name French Fries to Freedom Fries.

Of course war is another tool which the US uses to bully countries into doing what they want. You seriously think that the US cares about people overseas? They're in it for the profit, from corporations raking in profit from rebuilding to stealing their ressources. If Africa had any ressources, they'd be setting up puppet governement there as well but it seems that the warlords, that chop off young children's arms off for stealing the chocolate and diamonds you so love, are really good friends with the US. Inviting Suharto to their country and treating him like a king and Canada doing the same and giving him a free five star ski vacation at our top resorts while he was brutally killing his people... but that's cool because he let the US and Canada dipped into his oil supplies off the shores of indonesia. Who cares if the army forced the women, some of the children, to have depo-provera just so they could rape them without worry.

But if you cut off the US from that supply, then it's all out war.

I could go on for a while but fortunately for me, I have real life to attend too... I can't wait to hear your examples of how the US are being bullied, though.

Most of what happens to America and all the hostility and resentment towards its resident is a direct result of US bullying and US pride. To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. As a Canadian, I'm sick of your American narcissism but if my country was being oppressed and dictated by yours, I'd hate your country as well.

What you lack is the ability to see things from their point of view.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Cocasinpry because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watts
If it was toward anyone other than muslims, I believe his actions would be considered a hate crime. He's purposefully inciting violent reaction from a segment of people. What's the difference between what he did and burning a cross in someone's front yard? There's far less hateful ways to get his point point/ideas across

When the KKK burned crosses in people's yards it wasn't about hating Christianity. What you mentioned is race-related, not religion-related.

What about the Muslims in NYC that desecrate the American flag on the street corner and spew hatred against America and Americans at people walking by? Calling for "Islam to dominate all other Religions and the U.S."

Or the Muslims that burn the U.S. flag on the 9/11 anniversaries.

I really don't understand why you would want to limit the freedom of speech and expression of someone burning a book, but not limit those that burn the American flag, and step on it (accompanied with actual hate speech).

Freedom of speech for everyone!

edit on 4/25/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cocasinpry
reply to post by jfj123

The reality is, jones has the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to burn a book.
Is he an idiot? In my OPINION, YES. Does that mean I or anyone else can take away his rights? NO

This is a black and white issue.

edit on 25-4-2011 by jfj123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Meaningless.. "WE SHOULDNT" = YOU shouldn't - You do not speak for anyone else.

Of course, it's only my opinion. I can hardly enforce it on anyone else

There is no law, no crime, no problem other than a belief set.

BELIEF SET?? That causes innocents to die.

So just because one doesn't adhere to a belief set, it is acceptable for them to deliberately tread all over it, and insult those who hold to it? When someone kills over the burning of a Qur'an, the killer is the one who is guilty, but the crime was set in motion by the act of provocation itself. It's not a crime to burn a Qur'an, but it is a pretty stupid thing to do.

I wonder how many Americans would burn a Qur'an, yet get up in arms when the Bible or American flag are burned?

I hope you live over east, WA is nice and all, but not with that attitude.... stay in tasmania.

Victoria, actually. Don't worry, I'm not planning on leaving it soon

I stand by my previous post. I wouldn't oppose the burning of the Qur'an out of fear that people could die - people die all the time, the world is in a messed up state of conflict. I would oppose it solely because I respect the belief systems of others.

edit on 25/4/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: formatting fix

edit on 25/4/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: elaboration & clarification

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join