It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A buried treasure in a man's back yard!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Can you believe that a man in Austria found a real, old lost treasury in his own backyard, literally?

The find is estimated to be 650 years old, with more than 200 rings and many other jewelries, some having fossilized coral on them!

"one of the qualitatively most significant discoveries of medieval treasure in Austria."

The man made the discovery in 2007, but put it aside for a while. When he noticed he had found numerous jewels he tried to sell them on the internet where people were actually honest in telling him he had a potential big find...

the finder was not interested in cashing in on the trove and was considering loaning the collection to one of Austria's museums.

But, isn't the idea of a loan to make a little cash?...

Link to Fairy Tale article

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Lucky bloke, all I find are weeds in my garden.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Wow, everyone's dream. I really wish I could come across something that amazing. I keep telling my wife that we're going to Alaska after we retire from the military and dredge/mine for gold, but she keeps telling me that it's ridiculous. One day I'll strike it rich

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

I had a neighbor, when a kid, who found an old metal coin from 300 hundred years ago on his land. The first inches of dirt had been brought by trucks, so it was a lonely find... Still!

It will be something incredible to leave to his children, if he has any. Putting it in a museum is the best move, I think.
Yep, he was at the feet of the rainbow, it seems!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Then I'll make a thread about it right here!

Now, don't go lickin' that frozen gold, now! I don't recall ever dreaming of finding a treasure, but if I do, I'll be just as happy, I promise!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
But, isn't the idea of a loan to make a little cash?...

Not necessarily. Greed is the 1st priority of some, but not of everyone. Apparently he is not entirely concerned with getting rich right now, but by loaning instead of giving, then the value will still officially belong to his family. So that maybe years down the line, if his family is desperately in need for some money, they will be able to sell some of it if they need to. The loan to a museum is just a safe way to share the unique/rare items with the public to view.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

wonderful ,,

all i find in my back acreage is Arrow-heads.. pottery... some kind of lead plates with unknown writing on them..

never anything good...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

You never know cobber you may find ancient aboriginal treasures in your yard! But then again Bligh or Gillard may take them off you!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
wow that is quite amazing, its not everyday you go out and find something like that in your backyard! i sure would love to make a find like that. and i thought i was lucky when i found 15 bucks on the ground at the ice cream parlor the other day! i gotta invest in a metal detector... as neurotic as that sounds, but hey you never know i could be showing this guy up one day

edit on 23-4-2011 by danamae23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

While he found the ornaments in 2007, Andreas K. did not report it to the memorials office until after rediscovering the dirt-encrusted objects in a basement box while packing up after selling his house two years ago, said Profil. The soil had dried and some had fallen off, revealing precious metal and jewels underneath.

WHAT? After finding them he puts them in his basement then forgets about them until cleaning his basement out?

Oh well, it's refreshing to see a man not hung up on treasure and greed, but holy ****! I might have to go and take a peek in my basement, maybe I forgot about a priceless medieval treasure trove I found while picnicking a few years back, I tell ya this Alzheimer's is a pain in the ***.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hello all and thanks for the comments!

The town in which the treasure was found was an important one at some point.

About the town

It was more than 500 km from where Leopold 1 and his knights were defeated by Swiss peasants helped by "White Knights"... It was roughly around the same time as the the Templar demise, and if I found correctly, the town's name translation means "Main Station". It was important as a cross road and could have served fleeing Templar?...

Knights fighting Austria?

Even if the town had to fight Mongols, I feel it was more someone leaving in a hurry that left it and never could come back... It will be interesting when other pieces are made available.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

This was found by a man with his metal detector in a field near his home:-

www.flickr.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

That is some find! The pyramid jewel is really nice!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It's amazing what can be found in ones own backyard. For the part of the world that the OP was talking about, I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Of course all I ever found in my back yard and woods, is spent casings, pull tops from beer cans and scrap iron. Oh well, not everyone can have a find like that LOL.

new topics

top topics

join