It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just harvested my own

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Home grown Mustard greens and Radishes and I must say, they are the juiceiest, best tasting, veggies I've ever had. Not to mention the satisfaction i had of growing my own plants.

I can't wait till my peppers and potatoes are done, yum! If you have the means and the space to grow something I say go for it. It's a skill that cant be taken away and its very rewarding.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Nice job! I got lazy on my garden last year. I'd like to plant one this year but I'm possibly moving and we are also expecting our first child in June/July so I might have to skip this year too. One of my favorites to plant is green beans. The amount of beans a few small plants can yield is astounding. I've also had good luck with heirloom cherry tomato plants. I'm hoping to find a new house with a nice size yard and possibly even room to put in a small indoor greenhouse so I can grow some small stuff all year around. I feel self sustainability is going to be key in the near future.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Congrats on your first crop. Another fun thing to grow is herbs like rosemary and thyme. They make great edible indoor plants, and they smell good.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
We didn't know anything about gardening and it is wet here, not a lot of sun we built a greenhouse for a few bucks from that pvc pipe made a dome fastened to 2x4s a lot of online plans for PVC greenhouse free online...

we grew every bit of our lettice spinach and greens all winter, we are vegetarian and eat a lot of greens. It has been great! Unfortunatly all tomatoes have failed due to mold or whatever it is, trying another this time a resistant organic, with hope!!
I planted Egyptian walking onions not those are cool they grow outside with no care they lived through freezings and tons of rain and hardly no sun.., the top is a green onion but a little hot, the top sprouts look like a garlic are like a garlic onion and the bottom is a large regular onion you can eat all 3 parts!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I planted Egyptian walking onions not those are cool they grow outside with no care they lived through freezings and tons of rain and hardly no sun.., the top is a green onion but a little hot, the top sprouts look like a garlic are like a garlic onion and the bottom is a large regular onion you can eat all 3 parts!

All onions do that of course, as do garlic but I have never heard of an Egyptian walking onion. Maybe this is were the song comes from!! "Walk like an Egyptian Onion"

Mm, looked them up. www.craftygardener.ca...

As i said most onions will set bulblets at the top as do garlic as well and these can be planted for the next year but it is a slow process. I like the idea of one that is frost resistant, survives tons of rain and no sun. Sounds like you live in Ireland!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by smokeythabear

Great! I'm glad you have had a good crop. I just had flowers last year, but I liked them.

Hanging baskets, very pretty.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Fair play, I donmmt grow much but the firt plant I wa givenm wa a chive one after a chef friend of mine put chive in with scrambled eggs. I havent grown much but it always tastes better fresh from the garden as oppoe to from a upermarket where they have traveled half way around the world

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Egyptian walking onions, sounds interesting, haha im gonna have to try some of those. But I do plan on expanding my garden in my back yard. If things go right I'm gonna get a nice piece of land in Georgia soon that will be mostly used for food crops.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

I agree, thats why I've been trying to gain as many skills as possible recently. I've been meaning to plant some green beans though but I think you've talked me into definately doing it, but I've got an Heirloom plant and I've only got 1 tomato on there so far, but the plant itself has gotten huge! Definately surprised me.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I grow mini watermelons every year and they are top tier. I feel I should really learn to grow more and different things before tshtf.

Trowa

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

Ooh yea my dad was gonna plant some of those. Are they any good? Never had a mini watermelon.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yeah they are pretty awesome. A little different tasting than a normal watermelon but well wroth it.

Trowa

new topics

top topics

join