It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Lisence in Aus...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So.. I've been putting together my BOB... and ive decided i want a crossbow, as id most likely shoot my eye out or the such if i tried using a slingshot or anything that did not have an aiming aid, or i'd starve while learning.

However, for some reason, im in 1 of the only 2 states in Australia that have a restriction on them, Meaning i need a lisence to buy and own one.

For someone like myself, who wants the thing purely for a SHTF situation and has no intent whatsoever of using it (apart from maybe now and then at a range when learning how to use it and aim) untill this SHTF senario...

I have an idea getting/applying for a lisence would be impratcle, as id instantly be on a list of people whom own a weapon, and i'd probably have to come across as a convincing crossbow enthusiast with intents of praticing on a regular basis....

How do we get one?

Ideas? Suggestions? Ty!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Make your own? There are books and videos on doing it, and the knowledge would do you well in a true shtf situation since you would have a VERY VALUABLE skill.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
They also control taser guns (banned) and firearms. Why not become an archery enthusiast? While not as deadly as a crossbow modern boys are extremely accurate using aluminium or composite arrows out to 200 yards or so. Some of the best cavalry in the history of the world used bows and very effectively. Follow the old adage if you can't beat them join them. My best,

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TigaHawk
So.. I've been putting together my BOB... and ive decided i want a crossbow, as id most likely shoot my eye out or the such if i tried using a slingshot or anything that did not have an aiming aid, or i'd starve while learning.

However, for some reason, im in 1 of the only 2 states in Australia that have a restriction on them, Meaning i need a lisence to buy and own one.

For someone like myself, who wants the thing purely for a SHTF situation and has no intent whatsoever of using it (apart from maybe now and then at a range when learning how to use it and aim) untill this SHTF senario...

I have an idea getting/applying for a lisence would be impratcle, as id instantly be on a list of people whom own a weapon, and i'd probably have to come across as a convincing crossbow enthusiast with intents of praticing on a regular basis....

How do we get one?

Ideas? Suggestions? Ty!
[/quotYou obviously don't have a sefurity offic

isgh lets see how this goes'

2. you are a personal protection officer
3. ypu protect your own guv in some capacity
You can not have a gun license unless 1. you are mentally fit to possess a firearm ( your guv is a good indicatiomn)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry delayed,

Website is great aint it?

1, prmary producers can only have firearms outside:

Personal protection operatives ( Bodyguards)
Or military.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TigaHawk

How do we get one?

Ideas? Suggestions? Ty!

Try your local biker bar
.Secondline

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
instead of a crossbow try just a bow im an Aussie as well(West Australian) im in one of those states i own a bow not a crossbow they may not be as good but it is a descent skill

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianMentat

I wouldn't blame the website

and for the OP, If you try hard enough you should be able to get one although it will probably just cost alot more. You could also try ordering the thing in seperate parts to different places and get a good instruction manual and a techy machenic to help you put it together.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Oh and also out of curiousity what state do you live in?? Im from Australia and I have seen a few awsome looking crossbow's and I wasnt aware the owners had to carry a license.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
A crossbow is good for game for food but not so good for protection from an attacker. If you shoot and miss, you may not be able to reload a bolt fast enough to have another shot.

I'm in the U.S. but I have a handgun and a rifle. - both 22's. I don't have to register them. Anything over 22 where I live you have to register.

People say the small hand gun wont stop an attacker but I believe it will. It shoots 22 Longs and have a very long rifled barrel. It's a semi automatic and with it's magazine of 12 bullets can shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger.

I think after I pop 6 or so bullets into a person in the space of 6 seconds they will think twice.

It shoots as well and almost as far as my 22 rifle. For a small gun, I Love this gun. No need to have larger bullets unless you plan to be the aggressor and go around killing people. This will work for protection.( and small to medium size game)

But if you do get a gun, learn One Thing. Never point it at someone if you do not plan to pull the trigger. Be sure you CAN shoot if you need to. Lots of people freeze up , even cops and people who are military trained when faced with actually having to kill someone. If you life is threatened, point and shoot. You don't have to aim for the head, you can aim to stop an attacker but make sure you can put enough bullets into a body to stop him from killing you.

If you do not think you could ever do that, don't get a gun. It can be taken from you and used against you.
Also if you get a gun, get some range training with it.
edit on 23-4-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Been thinking along similar lines.. Gun laws too strict in OZ.

My Advice - Don't get a crossbow! In a true SHTF scenario, what happens when you run out of arrows. All well and good when you have arrows for it but you can't make your own. Reason being is the crossbow AND Compound Bow shoot with so much force that it would force the arrow off target or break any home made arrow.

The only choice for Bows that will suit the WTSHTF scenario is a Re-curve or Longbow. Got mine on Ebay!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Just been through my archives, this might help, 'build a hunters crossbow' looks like the site is 'modern mechanix'
sorry I don't have any more details, but its a start.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
why not get a permit??? then you would be legal,and you could copy your store bought crossbow, and hide the copy.you also could get plenty or practise in,and do some small game hunting in also,their is no subsitute for the real thing, if you will be hunting in a SHTF then get some real world experience in now,who knows maybe the permit isnt hard to get?? go to your local gun shop and ask.and yes crossbows can be reloaded quickly, most have a foot stirip at the front, and with practise can be reloaded in 2-3 seconds.have some home made spears handy to throw just in case.good luck.

top topics

join