It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever walked around a large city?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I currently reside in the city of brotherly love. I walk to and from school almost on a daily basis. I have my Ipod on 99% of the time but, I always check people out. It just seems to me society today is stuck in this dumb downed daze. Does anybody else feel like this?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It's called aspartame, fluoride, drugs, television... etc. etc.

Create a world of zombies that will work but not think for themselves, that's what's going on.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Since you're walking around with your IPod stuck in your ears, you could be construed as one of those walking around in a "dumbed down daze".

I don't really understand what you are trying to say. Maybe you could clarify what exactly constitutes a dumbed down daze.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I am not understanding the connection with ipods and walking around in a big city.

Are big cities the only place people are being dumbed down?

Please enlighten me and we can discuss.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have walked in DC, New York, Philly, LA, Houston, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin(the wall was still up), and many other cities besides. I have to agree that the "zombification" of the general populace has gotten noticeably worse in the past 35 years. People were much more "alive" back in the 70s and 80s. Now, I agree there is a vitality missing.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I never saw it a zombification. It always appeared to be some sort of hostile indifference. Like the wrong eye contact with the wrong person was going to get you stabbed or something.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I understand what youre talking about. Its not that society is "dumbed down" per se, it seems to me that its in more of an auto pilot state. People act and react without any thought process, caused by routinely doing the same things day in and day out.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
I have walked in DC, New York, Philly, LA, Houston, London, Paris, Rome, Berlin(the wall was still up), and many other cities besides. I have to agree that the "zombification" of the general populace has gotten noticeably worse in the past 35 years. People were much more "alive" back in the 70s and 80s. Now, I agree there is a vitality missing.

you can add Boston, Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Orlando(kinda small but...) to that list.
Though i would attribute it to more factors than just the "dumbing down" of the public. Also take into account the division o fthe masses, and a desire by some to avoid conflict,and in turn other people in general.

But over all i would have to agree with you.
Got any ideas on how it can change?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I mentioned the Ipod for the simple fact I couldnt hear any of the conversations. I look at people in this city and I feel like this is it for them. They have no clue what's really going on and could careless. If something major were to happen in Philadelphia they would tottally be unprepared. This is coming from a Army Veteran who has a concealed carry permit.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcade425

Being an army vet, you know exactly what im talking about when I say, day in and day out am I right ? This is coming from a deployed soldier.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Thornography11

Day in day out battle. Somebody on here finally gets it. This is another reason why I carry a gun at all times.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have to say I completely agree with you on this one.
I see the same thing. And sometimes, I just want to cry when I look at someone and realize that they are completely oblivious to the world around them. And I know that if I ever tried to show them anything about the world outside of their box they would just laugh in my face and go about their day.
The scary thing to me is that more and more are becoming aware that something's wrong, but on a personal level, not a larger scale. I work in a customer service oriented profession and I hear people all the time talking about being in this sort of fog. They forget what they're saying mid-sentence. Their thoughts are jumbled or fuzzy. Seasonal allergies are accelerating this year into something we have never seen in this area. I'm really starting to wonder what it is we are breathing/eating that is causing so many physical and mental symptoms...........

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Thornography11

yeah, i think it is that to, the amount of times i have done things that are routine without even thinking about the job at hand is unbelievable. no concentration or alterness is needed, you just do it whilst thinking about other things, like working out bills in your head or planning what your going to do tomorrow.

i think the dumbed down persona comes across in what people say or talk about/think is important more than the way they walk around. i have had some hyper active alert people say some pretty dumb stuff to me before, so how people act whilst going from A to B does not mean anything really, but what they say and talk about can give you an idea.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I sometimes feel like we are in a Matrix type scenario. I'm just waiting for people to wake up. Seriously what the f*ck can we do without being thrown in jail? I would really like to get the message out without being violent about it. The problem is what the message is? Look and you'll find the truth?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcade425

We need to come up with something more specific to say to people. But yes, people need to be more enthusiastic about finding truth.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

People need to start questioning things in their life. Like why they do certain things and do things they do really affect their lives?

top topics

join