It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The end of hate speech" needs to be clarified.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

How could it possibly be clarified when society itself is utterly incapable of clarifying the issue to begin with?

There will always be a gray area with this issue and there will always be somebody who is upset at too much or too little being done about it.

I think ATS generally does an excellent job of walking the thin line, so to speak.

It is my personal belief that that in an environment in which all information and discourse are permitted to flow as freely as possible, ignorance and hatred ultimately defeat themselves.

edit on 4/27/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

It is my personal belief that that in an environment in which all information and discourse are permitted to flow as freely as possible, ignorance and hatred ultimately defeat themselves.

I had to quote the above... It's the best, most intelligent thing I've read all month.

Absolutely SPOT ON!

Springer...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

How could it possibly be clarified when society itself is utterly incapable of clarifying the issue to begin with?

Then why does it say "hate speech, subtle or otherwise" is at an "end" in the site's policies? WHat do you mean how could that be clarified? How about adding what you just said to it?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

I had to quote the above... It's the best, most intelligent thing I've read all month.

Absolutely SPOT ON!

Springer...

Awesome. So why does the site's policy directly contradict this?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
You just flat-out contradicted this site's stated policy yourself. You said it: there's no way to proactively police this.

That's not at all what I said. I said it's impossible to proactively prevent it. Police does not equal prevent. I can't proactively prevent someone from posting something. I can, however, react when a violation occurs. Most people grasp this concept instinctively. When you have a way we can react to something before it occurs, please let us know. Our goal is a zero tolerance policy when it comes to hate speech. If you're looking for a place that can be sanitized for your specific sensibilities before you have a chance to read anything, this isn't it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join