It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Wedding Security 'Wouldn't Fly' in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So I saw this story and alot of the statements in it pissed me off.

“There’s a more mature acceptance in the U.K. of the tradeoff between civil liberties and security,” former CIA agent Mike Baker

I am sorry that people in the UK are forced to put up with this Orwelian surveilance system. But I think we here in the US are not far behind.

British authorities prepping for the nuptials of Prince William and Kate Middleton say they will likely use random stop-and-searches, closely monitored closed-circuit cameras spread throughout London and “pre-emptive policing,” which means police can arrest someone for a terror charge -- even planning or inciting a terror act -- before they have all the evidence related to it, to enforce order and maintain safety. Those “pre-charge” detentions can be based on a range of spying methods including phone taps, electronic surveillance and old-fashioned snooping.

Isn't that just feakin awesome? " Pre-emptive policing", Thought crime will be next.

I could pick someone up on the street in London and track them pretty much wherever they go. It’s a very impressive capability, and we’re nowhere near that.”
Baker said the main difference between U.S. and U.K. security isn’t necessarily what is done, but how it’s portrayed

“We’re not necessarily as bold about describing things, and we have a few more hurdles,” Baker said. “But our goals are still the same."

I know this is nothing new to the vast majority of people here, but this really got on my nerves this morning. Maybe I should have posted in the rant section.

This is going to be everywhere pretty soon, and I don't think anything is going to stop it.

Does anyone know of any devices that can disrupt CCTV cameras?

Here is the link, what are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hey there. Nice find. Yeah the total surveillance of all people is a goal of the NWO and we are heading down that path. It makes me sick and I will not go down quietly.

As for your question about the cameras, well I do some video production and have done a little research into disabling surveillance cameras out of curiosity. It seems that a directed light source aimed at the lens will overexpose the camera and white out the picture. I've tried it with a laser pointer and a camera and sure enough you can't see anything. There are vids and information on this if you search the net. The down side is it only lasts as long as you have the laser on and pointed into the lens.

Some folks even make their own "laser camera blinders". It consists of a laser device mounted on an adjustable base like a tripod and a cheap rifle scope or BB gun scope even. They use the scope to aim it at a camera's lens accurately and then it can be set to "blind" the camera and left in place while you do whatever.

Also of note, if you hae a strong enough laser pointed at a camera lens you could possibly permanently put it out of commission. The sensitive CCDs can be damaged by direct bright light. Not that you would ever want to do that

P.S. There are lasers powerful enough to do that sold all over on line. I happen to have one for "expiramentation purposes".
edit on 22-4-2011 by Redwookieaz because: Fat Fingers

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Awesome,
I didn't know lasers worked on cameras.

I read somewhere you can make a cheap crap laser fairly powerful by burning out the resister with a soldering iron.

I'll have to check that out.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I really do think that there is a massive misconception coming from our American cousins on ATS that Britain is some massive Orwellian police state. It’s just not true, yes we balance security and civil liberties differently form you guys over the pond do but that does not mean we feel in anyway hard done by. It’s just that we have a different system of law and order in the UK, I don’t mind that if I walk down a high street I am being watched by CCTV, in fact, if am on a night out I will often take the route home that has the most CCTV coverage.

I know that the UK users of ATS may give off the impression that we are living in a police state and that our media may even feed into this perception. However day to day, its something I never notice and most of my peers would agree. I don’t have police stopping me every time i drop litter, curse, drink, smoke, break traffic laws or whatever else you want to bring up. Yes I agree we have some really pointless laws, and that our CPS is a mess however we do not have a police state as I see it because it has no effect on me and those around me. If anything I would support more police powers and I would most defiantly seek tougher sentences.

With regards to the Royal wedding, they can stop and search all they want, if that stops the guy with the gun or the suicide bomber killing the innocent out celebrating who cares. And yes the type of security at the wedding would not fly in America, because Brittan is not America and we have different laws, traditions and so forth. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just that we’re are two very different countries and you and the other Americans who rant about how we in the UK are all slaves to the police state should respect that.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

That is a fair point.
I have never been to the UK so I can only go off my assumptions and what I hear, which is probably not wise.

But I definately do not like the idea of being recorded every where I go. The Govt.'s response to terrorism and crime is completely overboard. Treating everyone like a criminal is not the answer.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I agree with you as it pertains to watching us. The surveillance of U.S. citizens who are not suspects of a CRIME THAT HAS OCCURED is against the fundamental tenets of our free republic. This is OUR country not the government's. If anyone should have surveillance cameras watching them, it should be the politicians. They work for US.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Awesome,
I didn't know lasers worked on cameras.

I read somewhere you can make a cheap crap laser fairly powerful by burning out the resister with a soldering iron.

I'll have to check that out.

Around here people tend to just blow up the bits of public technology they dislike or feel has been forced on them.. (Southern England)

At the moment the humble parking meter has born the brunt of that approach.. (some 400 in the last few years) with the ones in the high street (main street) being blown up 26 times..

Given that no one in the last 4-6 years has been arrested for any of the explosions I think that demonstrates the impact (or lack of impact) CCTVs have in the UK.

I certainly would not recommend that approach to my American cousins since I suspect the response you would get from your police forces would be a lot worse than here (the police here use stickers and beer mats to warn people that shrapnel from blowing things up is dangerous)
edit on 22/4/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I am in the UK and depending on where you live, you may not obviously be effected by all the surveillance and prying, some areas are quieter than others on that front, so I think it depends where you live.

I would say though that the government are increasing many little infringements on our privacy and they start to add up. I have no doubt that eventually the people that live in smaller towns etc, will start to notice these infringements too.

The fact that police are going to arrest people before they commit a crime is scary indeed, as is the behavior of the police recently in dealing with people who exercise their right to protest.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I live in the UK and though surveillance is a fairly big thing here, with camera's pretty much on every corner it is not as bad as it is made out to be. Even though I don't agree with the amount of camera's there are I can see that some of them are a necessary evil. However, unlike the USA we would not allow government agents of any description to do an extreme pat down on us to board a plane, even less would we allow agents to pat down our kids. We would not allow police to strip search our women with male police in the same room and without an extremely good reason for the search in the first place. These are just some of the things Americans permit to be done to themselves and there families. I know which side of the ocean I would rather live.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I also thin the Bug Brother society is blown out of proportion here in the UK. It's true you can be filmed along most streets in London, but its not like there's a camera on every street in the UK. We still have many crimes that go unsolved, where they only have a tiny piece of video footage normally from a private establishment. Surely if things were as some described not a single crime would go on without being filmed on CCTV, unless it happened in the home,

new topics

top topics

join