It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Graphene material is Paper-Thin &10 Times Stronger Than Steel (amazing)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Researchers at the University of Technology Sydney have created a new material that is lighter, less dense, harder, and stronger than steel. But this material isn’t one of those breakthroughs that only sounds good on paper. It is paper, and it could be a game-changer for materials science if it can live up to researchers’ hopes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9dcc72489e8e.jpg[/atsimg]

This graphene paper is constructed of graphite reformed by chemical processes into monolayer hexagonal carbon lattices stacked as thin as a sheet of paper, and it is remarkably strong. To quote a press release from UTS: Compared to steel, the prepared GP is six times lighter, five to six times lower density, two times harder with 10 times higher tensile strength and 13 times higher bending rigidity.

That’s no incremental improvement on the qualities of steel, but a huge leap forward in terms of overall material strength (plus, like paper, it is flexible). And because it is graphene, it is also imbued with some interesting electrical, thermal, and mechanical properties.

Source: www.popsci.com...

Now this could definitely be a MAJOR game changer. For me, I first thought... Lighter Space Craft----less fuel needed to leave Earth etc. THen, from there- wow.

If this proves out, our world would change dramatically. IMO.

Any scientist from ATS able to check this claim out? I think they must be on to something. I can't wait ot see what they do with it first (major project like a car, plane etc). What else can you think of that could benifit from this discovery?

Good work people!!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

If it is flexible, wouldnt it better for buildings in earthquake prone areas? Just a thought but this exciting and if the price for it is good then it could be a great material for a variety of uses.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is the material I have been waiting for to start designing sustainable space stations.

We can't use rigid structures.
Collisions are bound to happen.
Materials of this kind can bounce back.

This is great news.

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

so cool!!! i want this stuff, i know what i would use it for

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

I can't wait ot see what they do with it first (major project like a car, plane etc).

Perhaps something like the Gina.

Can't wait to own one.

David Grouchy

edit on 22-4-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Are you sure that the picture is not just one of those mats you stick to the dashboard so you can put your Tom Tom there ??

Only joking.............If the properties of this material are, as they say then the implications are actually HUGE..............aircraft design, submarine design, body armour, human implants etc etc etc the list goes on..........

Do they want funding or will some big corporation 'snatch it up' ?

Maybe the general population can all chip in £20 each and 'BUY the Rights' for this material....?

Regards

PDUK

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Lighter and x10 stronger then steel eh?... And flexible?!?!?! HALO AMOUR HERE WE COME!

Jamie

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I highly doubt it maintains these properties when in a bent state. I could be wrong, but it just sounds too good to be true. Also we don't know exactly what this material is composed of. Judging by the photo, I doubt it's safe for human contact.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Judging by the photo, I doubt it's safe for human contact.

What do you mean by that statement?

I don't see how you draw that conclusion. (it's early here).

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Let's see how long it takes for this breakthrough material to find itself on a weapon system...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
Let's see how long it takes for this breakthrough material to find itself on a weapon system...

Haha, agreed!
S for you

Jamie

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This is what the USMC have been waiting for...now they can have their bulletproof underpants maybe?

Bet you could make great body armour out of this stuff,and like you said great for future space applications.
And cars/buildings maybe.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Heck, I would take a few pair myself. Couldn't hurt.... I think.

The more uses the better. It would truly revolutionize the way we live now.

(Good to see you-been awhile).

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Good article link. Do you know who is funding this research project at the Australian University?

I know there have been several such materials in study and research by several Aviation Sector companies.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Wow...

Amazing...

I am sure people will be going crazy with the implications of the stuff...

I wonder if anyone thought of gun implications yet, just saying....

It could very well revolutionize the weight of it....very interesting to say the least.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The world's first unshootdownable mega Zeppelin city dwelling.
I hereby patent the invention,using said graphene material as the double layer hull.

You could shoot it,but it would just bounce off.

Maybe if this material takes off,my idea could look meek in the face of marianas trench habitats,or Martian domes.

I hope that is the case.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Finally a safe and comfortable jock strap material, 'cause with the way they keep technology out of our reach we're sure to get our b...s busted.

GS

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
Also we don't know exactly what this material is composed of.

This new graphene material is made of (surprise surprise) graphene...
Graphene

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

the OP's article says it is graphite molecularly restructured with the use of chemicals. So we do know what it is made of.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Exciting!!!!

This stuff could vastly improve current windmills. All they would need to do is build bigger, stronger, lighter windmill blades and they could possibly double or even triple the electrical output of one windmill.

If they could create this material with nano-filters built in, then they could possibly be used to de-salinate sea water in much greater quantities.

There are many positive advancements that await us with this new material. Let us just hope it does not get weaponized and taken away from us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join