It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stokes Croft Tesco riots.Bristol UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

At something like 10PM a huge crowd landed on the front of stokes croft drawn by the lowflying helicopter with spotlight and the army of police emerging from 12+ riot vans dressed for combat. Pretty soon tension peaked as no explanation would be given for the roadblocks and there was intimidation on both sides.

neurobonkers.com...

People in the Bristol Town of Stokes croft have been rioting over a ne Tesco shop in the town. I believe the protests have been going on for some years, but these are the first riots. residents have been protesting the building of a new Tesco because they are campaigning that people should use local stores rather than the supermarkets.

Stokes Croft is an area of the City that aspires to question the status quo and to promote ideas and to create an alternative vision. It is increasingly clear that the kind of food and general retail distribution system offered by the likes of Tesco PLC is disastrous for local community, and threatens the sustanability of our fragile planet.

notesco.wordpress.com...
edit on 22-4-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-4-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Strange???

The BBC says something slightly different occurred;

Scuffles broke out and windows were smashed after police forced their way into a council-owned property being used by squatters in the Stokes Croft area. Officers seized items including what were described as "possible petrol bombs". Police had closed Cheltenham Road at about 2100 BST on Thursday. However, violence erupted during the operation and eyewitnesses said some people had rampaged along Cheltenham Road smashing windows. Supt Ian Wylie said that following the operation it was "unfortunate a small minority gathered and began attacking officers with bottles and other items". He added: "There have been several significant incidents in this building during the past few days, which have caused serious concerns to police and local residents.
\
www.bbc.co.uk...

The video clearly shows more than a "small minority" and does not really show a "rampage" but of course this video is not the full length of the event..
Something's not quite right here.. .

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Yeah Im not 100% sure what happened, but it seems like its been going on for a few years. The blogs I posted provide some good information on the issues involved, but what happened on the night is not so clear. I came across it on twitter, but now I hear its in the msm.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
i always thought the UK was gna go like this soon, theres only so much sh*t the public can take from this outrageous government.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Good post WWjnr

I was never aware of this 'civil disturbance'.......I think the MSM do not really know what it was about because, as you can see there is an absence of the general Press, camera crews etc etc......... they are all sipping their frothy coffee's in some trendy london Cafe on expenses !!!! ( a little sarcastic but I am starting to really despise the MSM)..
On the disturbance............... My take is that it was probably a UK Uncut 'action' which happened because of the social annoyance with a larger Corporation 'doing whatever it wants'......... The 'rioters' though don't really seem the type to be worried about consumerism and the ever increasing control on society.....................
I mean, they even produced video's and 'evidence on their smartphones and other assorted consumerism crap for the Police to sift through later.......... clever that !!??

Regards

PDUK

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanishr
i always thought the UK was gna go like this soon, theres only so much sh*t the public can take from this outrageous government.

Boring !!!!!!!!!!

The problems come from the lot before you moron !

This coalition lot obviously don't seem to be able to communicate or explain itself either...but that's a different story.......

Don't forget where the problems started, it's easy to blame without offering any solutions ...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Seems to me that Tesco want this kept out of the msm in order to avoid bad publicity.
We kinda already know that many people in the UK are rather upset about these types of supermarkets cropping up everywhere..

If I remember correctly.. Tesco's, and the like, are even building new houses right next to the new supermarkets they are building in order to keep people going too far away from their 'weekly' shopping.

Fabricating an environment where there is no choice, no 'freedom' to choose, is outright wrong.

The sad thing is that many kids will grow up knowing no difference and will remain almost completely dependent on these types of companies.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I think he/she meant the government as whole, not who is actually in power.
We are all aware as to just how wrong many governments are and that the strings of power are pulled from behind closed doors...

Oh, the bravery of being out of range...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

EA

Fair point......... I just get really tired of people criticizing the Coalition Government who have been landed with one almighty problem, which to be frank has still yet to hit us !!!

In the media yesterday, they were cock a hoop with the growth (0.2%) in retail sales....... MASSIVE.........People still don't get it (perhaps except some on ATS)...............and WWJnr's video demonstrates what happens when the Ba Ba Sheeple get a little frustrated or annoyed.... they don't realise they have been blindly seduced and sleep walked into where we are now because they all like to 'have it all' when it WAS available....

I do worry about where our society is going........ what is next and how soon will we get there ????

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
New supermarkets, especially Tesco, very often cause anger and resentment in the communities that they are built.

It looks like the are of Bristol, where this Tesco Express opened last week, is home to a number of new-age, neo-hippie types.

They decided to squat in a building opposite the Tesco, and the police finally evicted them last night. After they had been evicted, a couple of them smashed the windows of the Tesco Express.

That is what appears to have happened, but I don't think it's being 'covered-up' by the media. It's just not that newsworthy a story, other than locally.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

And the previous government was trying to pick up the pieces up from the one that preceded it.

The truth is that no one government or political party is to blame for the mess this country is in now; a sucession of governments and parties have consistently failed to look after our best interests and have put personal advancement, political dogma and expediency and the wealth of an elite first.

The blame lies with the electoral and parliamentary system that fails to deliver true and accountable representation and we ourselves for allowing it to continue.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

And the previous government was trying to pick up the pieces up from the one that preceded it.

The truth is that no one government or political party is to blame for the mess this country is in now; a sucession of governments and parties have consistently failed to look after our best interests and have put personal advancement, political dogma and expediency and the wealth of an elite first.

The blame lies with the electoral and parliamentary system that fails to deliver true and accountable representation and we ourselves for allowing it to continue.

So you are saying the individuals involved, who knowingly and willingly have abused their position and corrupted the law and the system in order to protect themselves and those who they serve, are not to blame?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Actually Freeborn.... I do tend to agree with your comments..........and the pathetic referendum on AV in a few weeks does NOTHING to make ammends and change the system for the better.......

Politicians are scared of REAL change and those whom have 'interests' in keeping the current staus Quo in society have very little feeling for their fellow man......IMO................ BUT where is this leading ? Where are we going as a society ? It takes leadership (firm sometimes and also unpopular) to get to where you are going and what causes me frustration is the EASE at which most complain and whine without offering a solution or 'working together' for the greater cause because they are off doing 'more important and probably self centred things'..

I know on ATS we see things slightly different on the wholeBUT i can't stand whiners !!

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The sort of people who object to Tesco supermarkets are more likely to bake some cakes and invite their MP round for a coffee morning than riot.

The sort of people who riot don't care about Tesco, the local residents, the price or oil or who the PM is. They care only about themselves and rioting is simply their idea of a fun night out.

This particular incident clearly had nothing to do with Tesco, it just happened to be the nearest shop for the useless, selfish, social scroungers to attack after their drug dealing mates had been rightly evicted from their illegal squat.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Aye

And it's why I refuse to partake in the farce we call 'democracy'. As the system currently stands, I cannot morally cast a vote in favour of anyone who wants to be an MP. Unless it were a vote to have them all cast adrift in a very leaky boat in a hurricane

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

The thing is the last Labour government wasn't really labour and the current Conservative party is not really Conservative. what we have now is just an amalgamation of individuals whom have all gone to the same schools all studied the same subjects and now just represent a political class. A class that only cares for its comfy positions in westminster and not those whom they are meant to represent.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Of course they are to blame but we are helping perpetuare the cycle by pointing a finger at any one party or administration.

As PurpleDog rightly points out, we have become a nation of whingers and moaners who do very little about the things which we whinge and moan about.
Far too many people play at being a bar room politician or internet warrior yet do very little of any note or effect.

It is up to us to bring about the change and reform that we need if we are to get the type of representation and government we desperately need.

These people in Bristol appear to be trying to stand up for something they believe in and which affects them on an everyday basis and fair play to them says I, yet it will take something far more structured, ordered and cohesive allied with inspirational leadership if real change is to occur.

Unfortunately I very much doubt that I will live to see the day.
edit on 22/4/11 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I'm sorry but ..You don't like a new Tesco being built because you think people should shop at the local shops... because YOU think...

If nobody in the town wants it, they wont shop there and it will soon close as it wouldn't be makin any money for Tesco. The simple fact is however they can stay open because people choose to shop there, nobody forces them. They CHOOSE to shop there.

Personally I don't think these Tesco expresses etc should keep popping up in small towns and I think it shows what kind of cold uncaring people own such companies; they simply don't care about the local shop owners.

But I want my choice, to hell with anyone who wants to take that away like these rioters wanted. One of the few riots I wouldn't side with the rioters and supporters. This wasn't to gain freedom, but to remove it.
edit on 22-4-2011 by StevenDye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

This particular incident clearly had nothing to do with Tesco, it just happened to be the nearest shop for the useless, selfish, social scroungers to attack after their drug dealing mates had been rightly evicted from their illegal squat.

Any links or evidence please?

Or is this merely your imagination?

--

From what i KNOW (from people on the festival scene, friends and people i've met)

Bristol has a large number of left wing activists in many areas from animal rights, anti-globalists and anarchists. I believe many of the squats in Bristol (according to friends) have been going a long time and pose no real threat to the community - many of the occupiers DO work and are employed and even have bills delivered to the squats!

I also know that many of these people are anti-corporate types and actively challenge consumerism especially when stores likes TESCO decide to seed more and more stores into the area, which in turn become drains on local businesses - forcing bakers, butchers, local stores and other such places to slowly lose business to the corporate giants.

Reading the BBC link and watching the video - it seems some sort of action may have been planned against Tesco and the police stepped in to intercept and defend the tesco store, which resulted in clashes and a minor street battle.

The journalist also asks why innocent people were shoved and pushed and why the police chose a time of night to engage, considering so many people were drinking.

edit on 22-4-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The current administration are more closely aligned with the back room Hooray Rifles who really run the country.

The previous administration at least attempted to open up senior civil service posts to more diverse incumbants but the process proved that the old boys network is fully entrenched and that the glass ceiling has not been penetrated.

That aside, rioting at Tesco's is a riot! Bring it on! I do not care what hue and cry rises up against the creeping saturation of big corp interests, only that people are asserting their democratic muscles and this can only be a good thing as it raises awareness of just how subjugated we all really are and that freedom and choice are just words that have no bearing on reality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join