It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism starts with an illogical premise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Atheism is truly illogical and doesn't make any sense. An Atheist will say they lack a belief in God or gods but this position doesn't make any sense.

You don't have a lack of belief in Santa Claus or a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy. Why do you need to have a lack of belief in an entity that you say doesn't exist? You don't see Toothfairiest who have a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy.

You can have a lack of belief in Islam or Christianity but not a lack of belief in God because there's no need to have a lack of belief in an entity you say doesn't exist.

In order for Atheist to say they have a lack of belief in God they implicitly acknowledge God's existence. Your lack of belief in God has to be predicated on his existence or it's just illogical.

Again, there's no need to have a lack of belief in Tinkerbell or The Wicked Witch of the West if you say they don't exist. So Atheism is built on an illogical premise.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
What can be asserted without proof can be disproven without proof.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Many atheists never mention a belief. They simply say God doesn't exist so your whole post in not valid.
Sorry.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
To the OP.
You have applied all the logicof a truculent child.
I actually enjoyed reading your post.

edit on 22-4-2011 by BrianDamage because: to do editing type stuff

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Here is a better definition. Atheism: The acceptance of the non-existence of imaginary entities such as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Bronze Age sky ghosts.

Does sound so illogical anymore, does it?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

The belief in God isn't logical either.

Some knowledge transcends "logic."

Ultimately, all of existence is based on belief. That's all that holds it together.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
In order for Atheist to say they have a lack of belief in God they implicitly acknowledge God's existence.

I think your thread is illogical. Let's look at another example: if I say there are no rocks in my empty hand, then there are no rocks in my hand. Athiests say there is no god and that one never existed.

I find it hilarious to think that you are implying when somebody says that something doesn't exist, they are really saying that something does exist but don't believe it exists. What kind of logic-salad is this?

I'm agnostic, by the way.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I have a lack of belief in Santa clause. Seeing that I pay for everything that the idea takes credit for

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Stars for everyone.......
Except the OP.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Last I checked, people aren't trying to get laws passed based on their belief in Santa Claus, half the political spectrum hasn't been taken over by followers of the Tooth Fairy, and politicians don't have to profess their belief in Tinkerbell or the Wicked Witch to be president.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

In order for Atheist to say they have a lack of belief in God they implicitly acknowledge God's existence. Your lack of belief in God has to be predicated on his existence or it's just illogical.

To be honest, I don't quite follow your own logic. I think atheists have an explicit belief that God is a fabrication of the human imagination. They acknowledge that God exists as a creation of the mind, but they do not believe that God exists as an actual being beyond the realm of imagination.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Again, Atheism is illogical.

How can you have a lack of belief in an entity that you say doesn't exist? The reason you don't say you have a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy or Santa is because you don't believe they exist and to have a lack of belief in a non existent entity would be illogical.

You can say you have a lack of belief in Christianity or Islam because you don't question the existence of the religions. In order for you to say you have a lack of belief in God, you would first have to acknowledge His Existence or you would be standing on illogical grounds.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

In order for you to say you have a lack of belief in God, you would first have to acknowledge His Existence or you would be standing on illogical grounds

As I pointed out previously, atheists do acknowledge the existence of God, but only as an imaginary construct of the human mind, hence their lack of belief in God as a real being existing independently of the human imagination satisfies the demands of logic.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I think we all have a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus, after all the only alternative would be that we DO have a belief in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
Here is a better definition. Atheism: The acceptance of the non-existence of imaginary entities such as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Bronze Age sky ghosts.

Does sound so illogical anymore, does it?

Atheists may believe in Santa and the tooth fairy when they are very young and susseptiblle (the perfect time to indoctrinate children with religion). When we get a little older we realise that fairies dont exist and unfortunately neither does Santa.
We may still believe in God, because to question his existence goes against the grain in society. It's only when you get a little older and look behind the blatant lies within the bible, you start to question more. Then you look at it from a scientific perspective and realize the bible is a bunch of stories based upon scientifically impossible events. Then you question the existence of god, you also realize the God people talk about is made up, then your happy with your choice to be an atheist. That was my journey anyhow

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Having a lack of belief/not believing in Santa Claus is like not believing in Martin Luther King Jr.

Santa Claus was actually know as Saint Nikolaus and was once a living breathing man like you and me.

To say Santa Claus doesn't exist is a lie.

To say Santa Claus doesn't put presents under a tree though...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Again, Atheism is illogical.

How can you have a lack of belief in an entity that you say doesn't exist? The reason you don't say you have a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy or Santa is because you don't believe they exist and to have a lack of belief in a non existent entity would be illogical.

You can say you have a lack of belief in Christianity or Islam because you don't question the existence of the religions. In order for you to say you have a lack of belief in God, you would first have to acknowledge His Existence or you would be standing on illogical grounds.

dude... lay off the meth

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

Nope, the Tooth Fairy is an imaginary construct of the human mind and so is Santa and Tinkerbell, yet you don't hear them saying they have a lack of belief in Tinkerbell or Santa.

This is because it's illogical to have a lack of belief in an entity that you say doesn't exist. You can have a lack of belief in a religion because you don't question the religions existence.

So, it makes no sense for Atheist to have a lack of belief in God who they say doesn't exist.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Atheism is truly illogical and doesn't make any sense. An Atheist will say they lack a belief in God or gods but this position doesn't make any sense.

You don't have a lack of belief in Santa Claus or a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy. Why do you need to have a lack of belief in an entity that you say doesn't exist? You don't see Toothfairiest who have a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy.

You can have a lack of belief in Islam or Christianity but not a lack of belief in God because there's no need to have a lack of belief in an entity you say doesn't exist.

Again, there's no need to have a lack of belief in Tinkerbell or The Wicked Witch of the West if you say they don't exist. So Atheism is built on an illogical premise.

I'm an atheist.
I can't but agree with your statement. I wouldn't call it "illogical" though. This inherent contradiction in the label we use to talk about ourselves (atheists) kept me thinking until I decided "yeah, well, what the f*ck, it's just that: a label.
(while i write this, more thoughts are coming up, trying to explain where the contradiction comes from. As I don't have the time to elaborate on that, let's put it this way: the label we use reflects the fact that basically we are being confronted with a concept introduced by others (theism) and that we as a consequence reject (a). Doesn't sound too convincing, it's the best I can come up with now.)
I'm still an atheist. A bad one.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Again, where are all the toothfairiest or tinkerbellist that have a lack of belief in the Tooth Fairy or Tinkerbell?

Why do you need to have a lack of belief in a being you say doesn't exist?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join