It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Alert this post message

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
So i went to alert a post and i noticed the description underneath now says "alert is not for offtopic or one line posts". I was pretty surprised as almost every time there's been a Moderator thread about dealing with trolls and offtopic replies the go to answer has been to not respond to the post and instead alert it. has this suddenly changed? and if so why?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Hmmmm

I hadn't noticed that

We encourage members to alert us to posts that might be a potential problem. However, please be aware that this feature is intended for flagrant violations of our Terms & Conditions such as trouble makers, insults, inappropriate content, and potential copyright violations. This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

So what are you supposed to do about off topic posts now?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

You're right..
I was told by mods not to reply to off topic posts but use the alert feature instead..

Hope a mod comes along and clarifies..
I agree with the one liners but off topic posts are often a derailing attempt and need to be addressed..
The mods can not possibly see all posts so we are there to help..
edit on 21-4-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Yes, the automated message does say it. It's been like that ever since the alert function has been around.

I think it was just intended as an encouragement for members NOT to abuse the alert system. We get alerts ranging from 1-liners, to off-topic, to rude posts, to ridiculous alerts such as "Pete doesn't want me to play with the rest of the group", to extreme T&C violations.

Some members do abuse the Alert function and we usually tell them when they cross the line. We do however review all alerts, and we've never told anyone off for alerting us for a 1-liner or an off-topic post. As a matter of fact I'd guess that the most alerts we receive are for off-topic posts.

Hope that helps.

edit on 22-4-2011 by Gemwolf because: Sp

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Thanks Gemwolf..
Yes it does clarify it for me.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have only rarely used the alert feature; reserving it usually for posts that blatantly promote violence.

I have been tempted several times however, to alert a poster who quotes a huge, 1/2 page comment someone else made only to add just a couple words of their own.

For some reason that really ticks me off. They are too lazy to highlight and copy only the important part, so they quote the whole thing, embedded clips and all, in spite of how long it is. Then are those who quote someone else' entire post and add nothing of their own. I could never figure those out.
edit on 4/22/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Huh.. Gemwolf, All of the reports you described seem to be appropriate for clicking the alert button.. Perhaps the mods need to do a better job at keeping up with the growing members.. Or maybe it's time for more mods..

Otherwise if you can't please, and make the members feel comfortable, Well then the staff fails, And the site go's down hill.. Enough said..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
NM
edit on 4/22/2011 by mblahnikluver because: brain fart

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I don't understand what you're trying to say...?
I said - we don't mind alerts, as long as members don't abuse the alert function. We look into ALL alerts. I don't see how your response is a response to that?

Sometimes no action is needed, i.e. a member may feel that a post is off-topic, the staff review the post and find that it's stillin line with the discussion, so no action is taken...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

weird. i guess i just never noticed it before. thank you for answering.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Yes, the automated message does say it. It's been like that ever since the alert function has been around.

I think it was just intended as an encouragement for members NOT to abuse the alert system. We get alerts ranging from 1-liners, to off-topic, to rude posts, to ridiculous alerts such as "Pete doesn't want me to play with the rest of the group", to extreme T&C violations.

Some members do abuse the Alert function and we usually tell them when they cross the line.

If a member is having a issue, And they alert it.. How is this abusing the alert function ? Because the biased staff disagrees with the complaint?

I'm not even going to waste my time, and get into it with you.. But I have known quite a few members, who have left ATS staff being the reason.. Me included.. I hardly ever post on the forum anymore.. Mostly due to the fact that the staff is very biased.

On a site that's motto is to "deny ignorance".. Funny thing is, I find nothing but ignorance on the boards, And not from the members, It comes from the staff for the most part, And i know for a fact i'm not the only one with this complaint..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

It's obvious that your issue is completely unrelated to this topic, so I suggest you take it up with the staff elsewhere.

When I say "abuse the alert function" I'm specifically referring to people that spam the complaints forum by alerting every other post they don't agree with. Then there are those that just got their posts removed and then go look for hundreds of other posts that are slightly similar. Cases where members actually abuse the alert function are so few and far inbetween that I can't even recall an example at this moment.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

It's obvious that your issue is completely unrelated to this topic, so I suggest you take it up with the staff elsewhere.

When I say "abuse the alert function" I'm specifically referring to people that spam the complaints forum by alerting every other post they don't agree with. Then there are those that just got their posts removed and then go look for hundreds of other posts that are slightly similar. Cases where members actually abuse the alert function are so few and far inbetween that I can't even recall an example at this moment.

None of that sounds like abuse to me.. And my issue is valid, I am informing you as to why members are "over using" the alert button.. It's simple..

The staff obviously can't keep up with the growing numbers of users, troll's, etc.. So the Members do there part and click the alert button..

I don't care what it is they are alerting a mod too.. If the alert button is pressed it is the STAFF's responsibly to handle the work load..

If the staff can't keep up with the growing demand of alerts.. Then There will be no choice then to get more mod's.. The members have a right to alert anything they feel is "unjust" or offensive..

This is a staff problem, Not a member problem.. SO if YOU have a issue.. I would suggest YOU take it up with the site Administrator, and perhaps get a few new mods..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre

I don't care what it is they are alerting a mod too..

I care. Each complaint requires a decision according to the T&C. That means a process called 'group thinking' and a resulting decision via consensus.

If the alert button is pressed it is the STAFF's responsibly to handle the work load..

Responsibility? As volunteers, staff act because they choose to, not because they have to. When we discuss an alert and what action (if any) to take, we do so with an eye to the T&C's.

If the staff can't keep up with the growing demand of alerts.. Then There will be no choice then to get more mod's..

In case you haven't noticed, we take on new staffers when staffers feel the need and discuss it over a few e-beers.

take it up with the site Administrator, and perhaps get a few new mods..

Count on it... if we feel the need, we will. That's a guarantee borne out through the history of ATS

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Like i said in a previous thread.. Arguing with the staff never get's sought after results, They will all team up on you with there biased views..

ATS what a joke this site has become..

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

This thread is in Board Business and Questions... what do you expect?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I hate posts that are like so:

Some short blurb blah blah.
second line.

Do they really think typing "second line" is helping?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Like i said in a previous thread.. Arguing with the staff never get's sought after results, They will all team up on you with there biased views..

ATS what a joke this site has become..

Isn't a unified staff a good thing?

If all the staff is saying the same thing, in line with what Admins and owners want, and it is laid out in the Terms and Conditions, then it sounds like a well-oiled machine to me. Too bad our government isn't run like ATS!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Just wanted to give the mods a pat on the back. A thread was opened a bit ago with the headline saying that a 9.8 had hit Japan. It was quickly determined to be a sick hoax and SLAMMED shut. Good job guys.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

And thank you to the members. Several members posted factual data that made it easy to determine the thread was false, and a handful of members alerted to the thread, so we were quick to notice and act.

Nice job everyone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join