It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani court upholds gang-rape acquittals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Pakistani court upholds gang-rape acquittals

english.aljazeera.net

Five men accused of gang-raping a Pakistani woman in 2002 under orders from a village council have been acquitted by the supreme court of the country, their lawyer says.

Abdul Khalique, the sixth suspect in the case, had his life sentence upheld, Malik Saleem, the defence lawyer, said on Thursday.

The rape of Mukhtaran Mai in 2002 drew international attention after she decided to speak out about her ordeal, defying Pakistani norms.

She alleged that she had been gang-raped on the orders of a village council in the name of "honour" in Muzaffargarh district. The gang-rape was to be pun
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I apologise if this has been previously posted. A search has yielded no results thus far.
This however is trully sickening information. I am trully disgusted, however I will refrain from presenting my opinion untill all the facts come forth. I would like to adress this notion of rape in "honour". Anyone who rapes a woman in order to maintain "honour" is a savage and a coward. In-fact by doing so you are only being detremental to what little "honour" you have.
That is all.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
How can anyone think rape defends honour? It is the most despicable act any human can perform. What a sick world we live in.

Im not a fan of the death penalty and will not endorse it, however I would not bat an eyelid if someone took it upon themselves to ensure these rapists got a severe punishment.
edit on 21-4-2011 by lifeissacred because: spelling

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Lets see how many muslims add anything to this thread, my guess will be zero.
As ive stated before islam is nothing more than a sex cult.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget

And other religions are not???
Wonder why religions spend so much money on lawyers??

BTW, rape is one of the most heinous crimes IMO..
This is nothing to do with honor...
It's 6 guys that need a few bits removing...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
all rapists need their you know whats shot off.

aquittal? for gang rape what a freaking outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if there one thing i absolute hate just as much as religious zealots are rapists.

this is infuriating.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

This has nothing to do with a faith, this was a political act. You and anyone who thinks like you is carrying a torch and pitchfork against Islam (and any other faith) when it was the justice system that failed her. People, check your bias in at the door, because programmed replies (Muslim country + Rape (or any horrible act) = EVIL RELIGIONS' ARE TO BLAME!!) are getting tiresome.

FYI, I am not a Muslim.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

Great another anti-Islamic type with an agenda "pimping" this story just becuase it was carried out in a muslim country. This is about the justice system in Pakistan not their religous beliefs.
Thanks for de-railing the thread.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
reply to post by lestweforget

Great another anti-Islamic type with an agenda "pimping" this story just becuase it was carried out in a muslim country. This is about the justice system in Pakistan not their religous beliefs.
Thanks for de-railing the thread.

Was this Sharia law that the council was enacting??? If so, then it is a religious matter.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
All religions are bad.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Islam is their law. It's one and the same.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

well here i am going to add to this thread , and that is what these people are doing is against the laws of islam , these people over there know nothing about islam other than doing prayers and most of them do it the wrong way , yes i have seen them here in my country, so this has nothing to do with islam , islam never said anything about honor murder or rape , in fact its against the laws.

happy now ?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Here is what I've been able to find out about the backstory to this. All from the BBC in..

Mukhtar Mai - history of a rape case

Her brother was accused of relations with a woman of a powerful family. He was beaten and sodomized as a result. There is a separate criminal case as a result of that.

From there....

The village council suggests that Shakoor marry the girl he was seen with and Mai, a divorcee, be married to a Mastoi man.

The Mastois reportedly reject the deal, insisting that zina (adultery) must be settled with zina according to the eye-for-an-eye principle.

Mukhtar Mai is called to the council to apologise for her brother's conduct.

She appears and apologises but is dragged to a nearby hut and gang raped allegedly by four men.

The Mastois inform the police that the dispute has been settled and Shakoor is released.

28 June, 2002: During his weekly Friday sermon, the village imam (prayer leader) declares that a great sin has been committed and asks the villagers to report the matter to the police.

Apparently the rape happened due to the "offended family" rejecting the deal made by the council and demanding the old "eye for any eye" punishment (rape in this case). However, it was an imam that decried the action and urged the villagers to contact police.

Maybe its a case of one family that warped a religion to commit a crime and another man with more true view of the same religion that said, "This is wrong." ?

Religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc) often get twisted by men to justify the acts of evil they commit.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't think we can blame Islam solely on this case. This sort of behavior stems more from the culture of that region...but I wouldn't leave Islam entirely out of it either since that is what the -tribal- folks claim they operate under the guide of. It may seem irrational and primitive to people on the west, but this sort of thing happens all the time in Islamic countries.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
And slowly but surely humanity still continues its regression. You will be your own downfall, take note.

It shant be long until your base animal urges rule you again and remove your status as 'highly evolved'

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I read that the "brother" was only 12 yrs old at the time that he "offended" the family. How on earth could it be construed that his older sister should be made to suffer for his actions? Apparently individual responsibility is not enough, whole families have to pay for one member's wrong doing.

I know that tribal and familial affiliation is a much stronger concern in those countries than it is in the west, but maybe its time they caught up with a more modern sense of individual responsibility and justice. Of course, when women are taken to be somewhat less than human; more like property, then I guess they have a really long way to go to catch up to the 21st century.

top topics

join