It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lady Gaga’s new single ‘Judas’ outrages Catholic community

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The song, which has racked up more than 4 million YouTube hits, has angered The Catholic League and many others for including lyrics such as, “When he comes to me, I am ready/ I’ll wash his feet with my hair if he needs/ Forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain/ Even after three times, he betrays me/ I’ll bring him down, a king with no crown…”

In the “Judas” music video, Lady Gaga is set to portray Mary Magdalene, causing some to wonder if she’s provoking the religious population or just sacrilegious.

news.yahoo.com...

So someone has come out with material that a major religion could consider sacrilegious. This time it is Lady GAGA, and she is outraging Catholics and Christians alike. I want to know how long until the pope issues a "death warrant", how long until the Catholic "homicide bombers" are unleashed, how long until angry Catholics and Christians attack unrelated UN outposts? Surely such an outpouring of rage is to be expected from members of religions, right? Or do these reactions come from only one "religion"?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I find it humorous. She obviously doenst understand that Judas didn't betray or " deny " Jesus 3 times, that was Simon. ( I think )

Anyhow....its lady ga ga were talkin about, not the brightest bulb in the box!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Your attempt to bash Islam has been noted. It wasn't clever. It was rude, much like those precious little easter eggs filled with white supremacist rhetoric found all over my University's campus on Wednesday morning.

Seriously, drop the hate.

Gaga's song is about a woman loving the bad boy over the good man even though she knows she shouldn't.
Or its about that inner conflict that we all face in balancing the dark and the light.
She did use Jesus and Judas for allegorical purposes so that the song would catch flak for popularity, but that's neither here nor there with the meaning of the song.

EDIT: And like the previous poster said above, its Peter who betrayed Christ thrice...not Judas. Judas was the lynchpin for the whole death and resurrection to take place.
edit on 21-4-2011 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Wow...In light of the Crusades and the Inquisition, this song is a horror!

Oh and molesting boys

Almost forgot that one.
edit on 21-4-2011 by BioStatistic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Nice attempt at trying to bash Islam, implying catholics haven't had psychos in their midst or a history of perpetual warfare and genocide...
On the topic though, I couldn't care less about pop music, it's all garbage lyrically and musically to me anyhow. Lady Gaga thrives on controversy, like all other celebrities it's the only way they can get attention and make their millions nowadays.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Personally, I think Judas gets a bad rap. The whole story of him betraying the Christ is a lie. The meeting Jesus had with Judas before he turned him in, the nervousness of Judas after that meeting. Jesus knew he needed to be a martyr to stab the point home. He told Judas to turn him in, his friend, so that the Jews would understand the measure of his resolve. Judas may have taken payment, but to not take the money would have seemed fishy. He did kill himself out of guilt, but it makes the guilt that much more if you understand that they truly were friends and what he was asked to do was unspeakable.

Sorry. Didn't mean to turn this into a religious debate, but keeping on topic:

Individual Christians may get angry, but like the violence that Islamic fundamentalists unleash on the innocent, they aren't a reflection of the true nature of their faith.

In short: Gaga rocks, and the Pope, I don't think, will get into too much of a tiff over this. He is the same Pope that declared "Aliens are real, and Stem Research is Good", so... I think he's a pretty laid back free thinker. His past still scares the $h!t out of me though.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I find it interesting that, even with no mention of islam in my original post, the usual suspects come out in their defense. IMO, the reason for this is that we all know islam is a hate filled death cult. Yet I am accused of being hte "hater" because I dare point out the truth. THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES. Accept it. Truth is truth whether we like it or not. We cannot change reality without accepting the truth of that reality. Catholics and Christians will not react as the muslims do, and there is a reason for it.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Anyone old enough to remember Madonna's "Like a Prayer" video?

Whew ! I thought the Pope was gonna blow a gasket!

Anytime the Catholic church condemns a movie, song, book, etc... it's guaranteed to be a hit....

edit on 21-4-2011 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
Personally, I think Judas gets a bad rap. The whole story of him betraying the Christ is a lie. The meeting Jesus had with Judas before he turned him in, the nervousness of Judas after that meeting. Jesus knew he needed to be a martyr to stab the point home. He told Judas to turn him in, his friend, so that the Jews would understand the measure of his resolve. Judas may have taken payment, but to not take the money would have seemed fishy. He did kill himself out of guilt, but it makes the guilt that much more if you understand that they truly were friends and what he was asked to do was unspeakable.

Sorry. Didn't mean to turn this into a religious debate, but keeping on topic:

Individual Christians may get angry, but like the violence that Islamic fundamentalists unleash on the innocent, they aren't a reflection of the true nature of their faith.

In short: Gaga rocks, and the Pope, I don't think, will get into too much of a tiff over this. He is the same Pope that declared "Aliens are real, and Stem Research is Good", so... I think he's a pretty laid back free thinker. His past still scares the $h!t out of me though.

I think you're right.... The scripture says that the devil entered Judas just after the last supper. He was possesed, and without the betrayal, the crucifiction might not have ever occured. All part of God's plan really... we all have a role to play.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You guys know the day before this song came out a really high preist came out and admited being a pedobear and touching little children? And the catholic church is mad over this.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
OK. I do not listen to this type of music and never heard the song. So I checked out the lyrics on line.

The lyrics make zero sense. There is no cogent theme or idea. I suppose that is why it is a pop song versus a famous piece of literature. Anybody can read whatever they want to read into this and who is to argue it?

It sounds like some folks are just looking to get offended.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I think the record companies have come to the (wrong) conclusion that the purpose of rock music is to irritate the older generations as was believed by my parents when I was growing up in the '50s and '60s.

As time goes on, and generations change, it's getting harder and harder to irritate the older folks. Hence music like rap and this song by Lady GaGa (latest pop-slut-type).

Hate, murder and mayhem expressed in lyrics are even getting old and losing their shock value. Blasphemy is just the latest plot to cause a little outrage and publicity.

Remember the old Hollywood maxims? "There's no such thing as bad publicity" and "Nobody has ever lost money underestimating the taste of the American public".

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The Catholics church's protection of child rapists outrages the rest of the normal world.

well, that and their insistence that a giant zombie lives in the sky and has everything all planned out

Does anyone seriously care what catholics think?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You're aware that catholics are christians, right?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Shes a gnostic. I wrote this in another thread

Look at her name. Lady - a mature, developed woman, and Gaga - an ignorant baby. Hence also the rumors of her being a hermaphrodite. A man and a woman - a duality.

Gnostics always emphasize the paradoxical unity between things which contradict and oppose one another. Good vs. Evil, Youth vs. Maturity, Male vs. Female, all these things refer to the same underlying concept. A duality

Look at this verse later in the song

"Jesus is my virtue,
but Judas is the demon that i cling to"

Jesus represents the quality of Good. And she calls him a "virtue" - something one has to actively, consciously do. It is Virtuous, because it takes proper thinking to accomplish. On the other hand, Judas represents that quality which betrays the soul. It "clings" to the physical, carnal, and evil. It clings the our way our animalistic drives cling to us, and hold us under its grip....

---------------------

She could argue, quite legitimately, that she has a right to interpret scripture in whatever way she pleases. If you subscribe to "freedom of speech" than you have to keep quiet and allow her sacrelige. But in anycase every one of her songs has these elements to it. Only in this song she comes right out (it should also be mentioned that she was raised catholic and attended an all girl catholic school) and says explicitly in religious terms what her beliefs are.

This is not only for the purpose of causing a raucous, but a legitimate expression of her religious beliefs, which ironically enough go to the very heart of the christian tradition.
edit on 21-4-2011 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Blah, blah, blah, Madonna did it already. Why is everyone giving this woman so much attention?

She's mocking a fictional story, and a bunch old child molesting rapists are worried about it. Who cares? Not me. Neither one is worth my time...

Pred...
edit on 21-4-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

As religions murders go your wrong their too; most abortion murderers are Christian. Then there’s Jim Jones, a Christian and Dave Koresh, a Christian, so no . . . there are fanatic murderers in ALL religions. And if we went back in history and counted all the dead witches, Indians, black slaves, inquisition victims murdered in the name of Jesus we would need an advanced computer to count them.

There is no comparison

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid

You're aware that catholics are christians, right?
No, they are not. They are "papists". They worship the pope as "the vicar of Christ on earth". They worship Mary. They worship idols. No, they are not Christians. That would be a whole other thread though, if you really want to discuss that begin an appropriate thread and we can do so.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
But this is exactly the reaction she (and her manager) want. "Lady Gaga" type of artist needs to be in center of attention to sell. Bad publicity is still a publicity.
Dan Brown incident clearly did not teach those guys anything.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
If irking Christians or the Catholic church* took creativity, intelligence, or unique talent then this would be very interesting.
But it seems these two groups are always riled up about SOMETHING so this will pass as quick as it takes two men to kiss each other.

*my husband and his family are all Catholic and they swear there is a difference between Catholicism and Christianity. I can't see the difference, but I'm neither so what do I know?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join