It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Renowned war filmmaker killed in Libya Oscar-nominated documentary director dies in besieged city of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Renowned war filmmaker killed in Libya Oscar-nominated documentary director dies in besieged city of Misrata

www.msnbc.msn.com

British photojournalist Tim Hetherington, whose documentary film on the war in Afghanistan was nominated for an Oscar, was killed in the embattled western city of Misrata, his employer, Vanity Fair, confirmed on Wednesday.

Three others working beside him were wounded by fire from a rocket propelled grenade, according to media reports. Two of the photographers — Chris Hondros and Guy Martin — were reportedly in grave condition.

Hondros is an American working for the Getty photo service. He reportedly suffered a severe brain injury and was in extremely critical condition, The New York
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
photoblog .msnbc.msn.com
edit on 20/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: To change thread title

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well for anyone who has seen his work Restrepro this is a sad and unfortunate incident. I always wondered what compelled the Filmmakers and documentarians of War films to put their lives on the line. Fame? Money? A quest for the truth? To hear of a man who I believe was in it for the right reasons to die in such a manner is truly sad.

I for one found his work on the war in Afghanistan to be solid and interesting, and feel that those looking for an inside view of the worlds conflicts have lost a great set of eyes which brought that to us.

RIP MR. Hetherington

Trowa

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: Grammar

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Article doesn't say if it was government or rebels that attacked him. Anyone know?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

This just broke not even an hour or so ago, so I have no idea. I will post more as it comes to light.

Thanks

Trowa
edit on 20/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: Gave wrong time frame, sorry

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
One of the few real journalists. His almost "hands off" approach to Restrepo is what made that documentary what it is.

Rest in peace and thank you for Restrepo Mr. Hetherington.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Article doesn't say if it was government or rebels that attacked him. Anyone know?

They were still tracing the RPG fragments when I checked.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
CNN Link

A statement from the office said she condemned "the reported repeated use of cluster munitions and heavy weaponry by Libyan government forces in their attempt to regain control of the besieged city of Misrata, and said that such attacks on densely populated urban areas, resulting in substantial civilian casualties, could amount to international crimes."

Do not know if this is helpful it is near the middle of the article but that makes it sound like they are blaming/implying the Govt. forces

Trowa
edit on 20/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add text

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The implication that it was 'indiscriminate Ghaddafi shelling" was clear enough.

However, sad though this is, it seems that someone with such a chosen career was always at risk to end this way; particularly lingering among a group that is a target of combat forces.

May his courage inspire others to pursue the truth.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I doubt even if it was the "allies" they would admit it. They didnt admit to killing the Reuters journalist in Iraq, that had to be leaked.

War sucks. Im sorry he died, but Im sorry the others are dying too.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
RIP to Tim Hetherington and Chris Hondros

These men will be remembered for there great Photography Skills and bringing us up close and personal with the war in Afghanistan

www.chicagotribune.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Chris Hondros

Both in the hospital

civiliancontractors.files.wordpress.com...

Tim Hetherington

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Michael Christopher Brown and Guy Martin were gravely wounded in the attack

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

I was shocked and saddened to read this story on MSNBC as I opened my browser.

There is no doubt that the interconnected worlds of documentary film making and photojournalism have lost two of their brightest stars. Their passing is a loss to both art and honest reportage.

But that having been said, look closely at the photos of the victims in the article. These two are a casting directors' wet dream if he's looking for James Bond and his CIA associate Felix (last name escapes me atm).

Anyway, this being a conspiracy site and all...

I wonder. (Just saying...)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
The implication that it was 'indiscriminate Ghaddafi shelling" was clear enough.

Not really. I don't see how "indescriminate Ghaddafi shelling" equals attack by fighters armed with RPGs.

Opening article even describes that this guy published photos of civilians murdered by US troops in Iraq, so obviously he wasn't popular to the West.

new topics

top topics

join