It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Interplanetary Phenomenon Unit (IPU)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Not sure how many have heard of this, but this is still one group that is really intriguing.

For starters, the group name first popped up in the controversial Majestic 12 documents that surfaced back in the 80's and 90's.

Now, ok, I know many feel the majority, if not all, of the docs could be fake, but the IPU is not.

The IPU (according to the MJ-12 docs) appears to be the pre-cursor to Majestic or MJ 12. Now, while sensational enough, it's easy to simply dismiss it as bunk.

However, when researchers tried to get info on it through FOIA, the officials did something really surprising. THEY CONFIRMED THE IPU DID EXIST. (but that records were now with the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations.

So, this raises important questions.....

1) What did the group really do (especially to warrant the name)>
and
2) Why is it still under wraps after so many decades?
and
3) Who was in it (and if the names match)?
and
4) How did hoaxers know enough that the unit even existed? (if it is indeed hoaxed...the document)

Anyhow, here's a link to an AFOSI page for requesting FOIA info

www.osi.andrews.af.mil...

And here's a link for the first form to fill out.

www.osi.andrews.af.mil...

I know I'll be doing so, but figured heck, the more the merrier. Maybe they'll actually give us something (doubt it, but only one way to find out)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It was nice knowing you, I'll tell your loved ones the "accident" wasn't your fault, no matter what they read in the paper....

Kidding, great find and looking forward to see what you get back.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I would sign it but, The last time I signed something I was legally obligated not to "open my trap" for 10 years. Awesome find though!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I know Stanford University had a parapsychology school going for a few years back around / before then. It ended up getting shut down and sounds like the military and banks took over some of the research as progress was getting made and some stuff was starting to get pretty weird. Read a really good book on it put together by the director of the school, has been a while and not sure of the names. Don't know if they are connected.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Great find.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hey Gaz...

I thought the IPU was an RA unit (Regular Army) - US Army - not an Air Force unit. Hmmm... time to ope some of the archives and take a look-see...

In the meantime, if they were under the Army's "wings" rather than USAF, you may want to post FOIA doc request links/procedures for them rather than our boys in-Blue...

And the hunt begins (continues)...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Fun stuff! I had to go out and do some digging. I could be way off base but here's what I found.

Interplanetary could refer to the interplanetary medium.

The interplanetary medium is the material which fills the solar system and through which all the larger solar system bodies such as planets, asteroids and comets move.

source

I also found on that page:

The notion that space is considered to be a vacuum filled with an "aether", or just a cold, dark vacuum continued up until the 1950s (see below).

And Akasofu recounted that: "The view that interplanetary space is a vacuum into which the Sun intermittently emitted corpuscular streams was changed radically by Ludwig Biermann (1951, 1953) who proposed on the basis of comet tails, that the Sun continuously blows its atmosphere out in all directions at supersonic speed" (Syun-Ichi Akasofu, Exploring the Secrets of the Aurora, 2002)

source

I also found the site that archives deleted wiki pages. On that site it is stated:

In March 1987, British UFO researcher Timothy Good also wrote the Army Directorate of Counterintelligence and again received a letter confirming the existence of the IPU from a Colonel William Guild. Guild was more definitive about the existence of IPU records and that they had been turned over to the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI), the USAF counterintelligence unit, and the Air Force's Project Blue Book:
"...the aforementioned Army unit was disestablished during the late 1950's and never reactivated. All records pertaining to this unit were surrendered to the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations in conjunction with operation BLUEBOOK." [7]

source

So in my quirky mind, Interplanetary Phenomenon Unit could have been the precursor to the Air Force's Space Weather Operations. Could be that after Ludwig Biermann's work the IPU was established to study the threat of solar flares on the planet then integrated with the Air Force's Air Weather Service to give it a better cover.

Don't know, but that was fun!
edit on 20-4-2011 by OneisOne because: derr... TYPO!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
4) How did hoaxers know enough that the unit even existed? (if it is indeed hoaxed...the document)

I'd love to know the answer to this question too.

I have never been completely convinced that all of the MJ-12 documents were fakes. It would be a great cover to release a pile of fake documents as food for debunking and to discredit the real ones.

Originally posted by OneisOne
So in my quirky mind, Interplanetary Phenomenon Unit could have been the precursor to the Air Force's Space Weather Operations.

I disagree with you completely on this mate. The prefix inter- is defined below.

inter- (prefix): used to form adjectives meaning 'between or among the stated people, things or places'
international
an interdepartmental meeting
intercontinental missiles
dictionary.cambridge.org...

Compare interplanetary with international!
Compare interplanetary with intercontinental!

Now what does interplanetary mean?

The other reason I disagree is that there seems to be little reason for the secrecy if it was just weather operations.
edit on 26/4/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Are the IPU recruiting soon ????

If they want someone to skip through a stargate and collect a few samples then I'm up for it....

PDUK

new topics

top topics

join