It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEC launches an audit of President Obama’s 2008 campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
"for some reason", it's difficult - so far - to find much on this story in the MSM as they keep trying to protect this administration from any hint of scandal.

source

My underlining for emphasis.

President Obama just formally launched his 2012 bid for re-election, but his campaign is still under scrutiny for its operations during the last presidential cycle.
Sources tell Roll Call's Alex Knott the Federal Election Commission has launched a formal audit of Obama's 2008 campaign committee. The probe, which the campaign describes as a "review," comes after GOP allegations of illegal campaign contributions and other unusual transations.
It's not unusual for the FEC to launch a formal audit of a presidential campaign after the fact. The agency investigated John McCain's 2008 campaign committee. But the difference is that McCain took federal funds for his committee--automatically triggering an audit--while Obama's campaign did not.

So, there's some "smoke" on this issue. Remains to be seen what "fire" is causing The FEC to run the investigation.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

In a statement given to Roll Call, Katie Hogan, deputy press secretary for the president’s re-election campaign, called the audit a “review” saying, “The FEC is conducting a routine review – as is true with the McCain campaign, the Romney campaign and many others – to determine if they have any questions with the information reported.”

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

It appears that many of the 2008 contenders are currently under "routine review". I don't know that I would go as far as to say there is "smoke" here, let alone fire. However, it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

You must have missed the earlier point that while it is routine to investigate a candidate that takes federal campaign money, it is NOT routine to investigate a candidate who does not use federal campaign money - as was the case with obama's campaign.

That's the "smoke" ...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Well, in that case, there must be some "smoke" revolving around Romney's campaign too, as his campaign is being audited and he didn't accepted public funds either.

Still, McCain's audit is mandatory because he accepted public funds; however, that doesn't automatically mean that it is not routine to audit those that don't require public assistance. Especially those that win.

Either way, I welcome the audit. I think every candidate should undergo the process.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

in addition to showing their birth certificate as well...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

dude i watched a snippet of this issue last nite obama campaign fiances have been under investigation for the past 2 years.

he opted out of public disclosure for private and has paid over $3 million in legal fees so far

the investigate continues however i am not holding my breath

but something is off a illinois senator raised $750 million dollars from the so called public sector.

edit on 20-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
They will never be able to trace all of the money. Obama's campaign was masterfully executed and the money was well laundered. $750 million! that's a lot of single anonymous $10 donations. Amazing what you can do with a computer nowadays.

Good luck to the auditors. Just hope that this administration does not cut their funding and staffing before they are able to finish investigating in 2014.

top topics

join