It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we sheeple for having bought into alternative news?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I used to be a big believer in alternative news but we're kind of told by alternative media that we should be thinking for ourselves but in reality what they want us to do is for them to think for us. They want us to not buy the normal reality and in order to accept their version of the truth and not what we think ourselves.

Thinking is going the way of dinosaurs, on its' way to extinction. It boggles the mind how many people rely on the government, or media, and take what they say as gospel. What ever happened to independent thought? Should we follow along like sheep, or is thinking out of the box what we really need to focus on.

The great thinkers, like Einstein, were decidedly alternative thinkers. Always light years ahead, on the cutting edge of forward, progressive thinking. My favorite quote from Einstein is, " Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances of survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

Being a vegetarian myself, this quote is inspiring for me. My choice to be a vegetarian was made at a young age and it was a combination of moral, social and a matter of food preference.

The choice to be a vegetarian could be a conscious decision though, with a thinking society. The pros to health alone, far outweigh the cons. Then, if you consider the environment, economy, animal rights, spirituality and benefits to the earth, the positive attributes jump exponentially. Keep in mind this is my opinion, oh... and that of Einstein as well.

Einstein was home schooled as well, because he was considered unruly and difficult to discipline.

ezinearticles.com...

It's just one way of looking at it. It''s a rather selfish way of thinking about things. I don't want you to think about the government's way of thinking about things nor do I want you to think about the media's way of looking at things, so, I will tell you how to think.

Independent thinking comes only after looking after facts and if the facts point out one way or another that's where they stand. Looking at "alternative media" does NOT make one an independent thinker. It in fact can make people quite the opposite.
edit on 4/19/2011 by yeahright because: Mod edit - Please use ex tags when quoting external sources

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Alternative media has been hijacked like the Tea Party idea was. The best way to sift through the BS is to find someone you know who is ALWAYS wrong about everything, then present the information to them that you aren't sure about, then gauge how they react and use them as your detector of truth/lies.

For instance, I use a few old friends who are stagnant in growth, self destructive, and feed off of others' negativity. They make all the wrong decisions and believe everything the TV and gov't tells them. No matter how many times they are presented with evidence, their cognitive dissonance is non responsive to it. The Super Sheeple I call them.
Just show them a video or news article and see how they respond to it, then you'll have a better idea of what is true or not. Aliens & UFOs do not apply to this method though.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

some sheeple close to me say ' i dont wanna see i just wanna be blind ' to news and evidence i present because anything out of the hollywood styled norm for them brings it crashing down around them and they choose to be sheeple
edit on 19-4-2011 by wedidgothacked because: spelling

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

how then, do you propose, that we learn anything about the world around us? we can't all, nor do we all want to, be journalists, so that means you have to trust somebody else to report the story to you. so called "alternative" media usually means media without the huge corporate sponsorships. inforwars isn't reliable anymore because they've entered into the national media market. they have to worry about sponsors and staying on the air and making more money. this always affects content at some point. independent thinkers seek out alternative media for a LESS biased form of reporting, not for the absolute Truth with a capitol T. if a person finds one alt media source and throws their complete trust and confidence in them, then yes, they are a sheep just like the MSM zombies.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I understand what you are saying, some people would laugh at the theories some of us have, we seem to believe anybody.. But the mass media (on whole) I do question sometimes should I just stop all this and revert back to 'Reality' Where everybody else seems to be, the Only thing that stops this is the sheer amount of evidence (or what I see as evidence) stating otherwise, I find it had to get around the fact other people do not see what I, and many of us see in this world (the evidance I talk about) and It sometimes seems were living an alternate reality, another word for this is mistaken or psychological problems, My problem is as I stated, the evidence, or what I see as evidance says otherwise, I think this amount of evidence and the people coming out with it keeps me searching...... sheepish you say?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I completely agree. I was listening to an alternative radio station and all I ever heard was the complete opposite of what the MSM was saying. I thought it was a very extremist view of things, because I'm usually always in the middle.
Alternative topics have become a polar opposite to the MSM and not necessarily "true" information.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Are we sheeple for being members of ATS? We are after all, one of THE biggest Alternative News outlets around.

I personally would rather have as many sources of news that I could sort through, rather than have just one mainstream media source. After all, variety is the spice of life!

So no, we are not sheeple for wanting TRUTH. Just peeple.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Infowars is still reliable, but he broadcasts on AM radio and does have to abide by certain "rules", and Alex Jones dances on the edge of that fence. When it gets too hot, he changes the subject, not because he's a NWO shill, but because he wants to stay on the air. AJ is great for the kindergarteners just waking up.
What I don't care for is how Alex sometimes believes the mainstream headlines are "accurate."

David Icke seems like a good source for honesty, but his forum seems clicky. I still like my idea of gauging the super sheeple reactions to information I present them.
edit on 19-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The fact of the matter is that you can't rely on anything as being the "truth" unless you experience it first hand and have some idea of the circumstances. We're just looking for information from the least corrupted sources.

I find the most useful information comes from forums like this, where information is presented and debated by any number of people, from the opinionated to those that have actual knowledge on a subject.

"News" is one way, and overall very successful in manipulating the masses, it's always been the minority that thinks critically, it's worse now and amplified because more effort is spent on dumbing down the public from many angles.

link   

Originally posted by peterpansgirl
I completely agree. I was listening to an alternative radio station and all I ever heard was the complete opposite of what the MSM was saying. I thought it was a very extremist view of things, because I'm usually always in the middle.
Alternative topics have become a polar opposite to the MSM and not necessarily "true" information.

This is right, Also you find the 'Alternative Media' never has scientific backing, or proof. MSM does include facts and scientifically analysed data that can be agreed on, I always find with alternate media It is up to the viewer to make what they want of it, It does kinda seem very extremist, It basically says how, everybody is being lied to, nothing is good, everything needs changing, when you get to mass media this is not 'preaching' any of this, it seems more factual.

link   

Originally posted by peterpansgirl

Agree, but that is the point of Alternative Media. It's an alternate to normal news and views. Don't ever expect Alt. Med. to find truth for you, find it for yourself. The Mainstr. Media has become the mouth pieces for Corporations with agendas to push. I for one, am like you. I like to stay in the middle and be as neutral as possible so as to come to my own conclusions about things.

edit to add: Also, think back 10 years ago.......subjects that were considered "Alternative" have become mainstream now. Without places like ATS and other Alt. News sites, these things never would have come to fruition.
edit on 4/19/2011 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
"News" is one way, and overall very successful in manipulating the masses, it's always been the minority that thinks critically, it's worse now and amplified because more effort is spent on dumbing down the public from many angles.

This is the type of quote many people would argue, many wouldn't, media for manipulation, I can see your argument for it, actually I believe it is the best source and most used source to manipulate, however there is really no proof of this, nobody other than ' alternate media' saying this ( you can understand why) but still from what people are taught from a young age by both parents and school is that the media, is not how you put it, manipulating but informing, this is many peoples views and well... somebody must be wrong... how can whoever have control over the whhhooolllee media to be able to manipulate and stop the things we talk about here going live... it seems a tall order

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

This is the type of quote many people would argue, many wouldn't, media for manipulation, I can see your argument for it, actually I believe it is the best source and most used source to manipulate, however there is really no proof of this, nobody other than ' alternate media' saying this ( you can understand why) but still from what people are taught from a young age by both parents and school is that the media, is not how you put it, manipulating but informing, this is many peoples views and well... somebody must be wrong... how can whoever have control over the whhhooolllee media to be able to manipulate and stop the things we talk about here going live... it seems a tall order

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
There might be some truth to that. But it's about where you can find the best sources for information. Alternative media gives you a good idea of all the different new sources out there.
edit on 19-4-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Infowars is still reliable

When I first heard Alex Jones, I became a big fan, because I never heard anything like it before and compared to MSM, it seemed amazing. But as time went on, I realized Alex Jones is an enigma. First of all, the man lies, exaggerates, exploits and just can't be trusted as far as I'm concerned, but it took a year to become firmly convinced. The reason why it took so long for me was because he also speaks truthfully about many things and gets so many people involved who otherwise wouldn't. If you do a little digging on Alex Jones, you might be very surprised what you find, but I still listen to him occasionally, but I never take anything he says to heart unless I can verify it.

Great example: Y2k Russia Attacking

At a time when many people were panicky and looking for information, this is what Alex chose to do. It's one of countless examples.

Inforwars, Prisonplanet, etc. are run by one of the biggest control freaks out there, I think everyone can agree on that, so do you really thinks it's accurate and unbiased? Look a little closer, it's painfully obvious what it is when you really look.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

Alex was like 23 years old when he did that Y2K broadcast and he's explained what happened many times. I doubt he was trying to ruin his own credibility so soon in his career, and it still haunts him 12 years later. That doesn't ring of purposeful actions to me.

I've been listening to Alex for almost 4 years now and I have grown beyond him as should anyone who comes across him, but I still listen to his daily shows for breaking news. I find he's one of the best BS --> English translators out there, but out of his 3 hour broadcasts, only about an hour is somewhat informative, and his callers are the real deal, I've been on his show before and was not screened or interrupted.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by holtdani

I can see your argument for it, actually I believe it is the best source and most used source to manipulate, however there is really no proof of this

You're kidding right?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paschar0
reply to post by holtdani

I can see your argument for it, actually I believe it is the best source and most used source to manipulate, however there is really no proof of this

You're kidding right?

I was saying the only proof comes from 'Alternative media'
As you show with Infowars..... who do I trust, at the moment it seems more the mass media
It can be criticized and talked about, I just here people talking about Manipulation, the odd war propaganda, tht you can expect from a government whatever, where is the real hard proof people have been manipulated from the media, In a way that is not beneficial?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I've never heard his explanations for it and it wouldn't make much difference to me at this point anyway. Like you, I still listen sometimes, but just can't trust anything he says or his slant on things without checking things out, where early on, I might take him at his word.

I think most people looking for real answers evolve away from Alex Jones pretty quickly, and just take what they can use from him with a grain of salt, but the majority are just happy buying his brand of BS over the MSM with the same lack of critical thinking.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I think you're sheeple for belonging to any society.

Humans (and other animals) thrive in a herd. There's protection in the herd. Being different singles you out for negative attention.

When people get together they tend to form a consensus; resulting in similar thinking.

Is it bad to be "sheeple?" Not really.

The world couldn't work if everyone was following their own direction. Some people need to be visionaries and some people need to follow their vision.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join