It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Need English Toffee. And You Need It Now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Screw Christmas. You need English Toffee now and I am going to tell you how to make it.

First get yourself a heavy bottomed sauce pan, a 4-6 qt will do.

Great, now get a candy thermometer. I'll wait.

Good job. Now put these things in the pot: 2 sticks of butter 1 cup of white sugar and a 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Now add 3 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of Light Corn Syrup. Good. Now put in about 1 and a half teaspoons of salt.

Let the whole mess melt while you...
Line an 11 x 9 or 13 x 9 with parchment paper. Sprinkle crushed almonds on the bottom and dust with sea salt. Great.

Now on Medium Heat. No hotter. Get the mass to a rolling boil and begin to stir non-stop.

Do not turn up the heat. Do not scrape sides vigorously while stirring.

Now watch the thermometer you are going to be there for about twenty minutes.

When the thermometer reaches 285 pull it from the heat. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and mix vigorously.

Pour out onto the parchment paper.

Cover the top of hot toffee with desired chocolate. Let it melt for 5 minutes. Spread with knife.

Now sprinkle with more nuts.

You now have the power to make new friends immediately and probably even get laid.

Have a good weekend.

edit on 16-4-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by Frater210 because: TaDa

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

Um...you failed to put any English Toffee...or text...in your thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

There you go.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Way too complicated. If I really needed it "now" I'd just run to the store and buy it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Can I ask what was the purpose of this thread, if not to humor me?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Thanks! What's the purpose of the corn syrup- just more sweetener and to make it more shiney?

I'll try this- without the corn product though..maybe i can use honey instead.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
A great contribution to the conspiracy of my sweet toothed heart...the queen praise you

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

Can I ask what was the purpose of this thread, if not to humor me?

Only to disseminate the mighty power of Toffee making to members of ATS. I was excited to find that there was a cooking and food forum on ATS as I spend a considerable amount of time in the kitchen. I am afraid that beyond cooks being secretive about their recipes there is not much conspiracy in the culinary world.

Also to deny the ignorance that leads to bad toffee making which could lead to less friends and burnt toffee.

I hope you'll get in the kitchen and give it a try.

Also part of the secret is the dusting of salt on the bottom it is the first thing that hits your tongue and is a big hit with the ladies.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Way too complicated. If I really needed it "now" I'd just run to the store and buy it.

You have to be kidding me. Complicated? How do you ever hope to summit the peaks of things as complex as spirituality and synthesis of social and political understanding if you find the meager discipline required to make Toffee too complicated?

You will be rewarded by your effort. I promise.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

What's the purpose of the corn syrup- just more sweetener and to make it more shiney? I'll try this-

It creates a certain texture on the teeth. No. it will get shiny without the corn syrup. Leave it out if you wish. I have never tried it without but I would be interested in hearing your results. Please post them if you are able.

mainly you do not want it to go over 285 or you will have hard candy with nuts in it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Is it english if it has corn syrup? because nobody here uses that. Not even sure if it's in the local shops? Never seen it, never used it, not even sure what it is.

I'm fairly new to ATS but didn't realise people post recipes? I'm not understanding this

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

You have to be kidding me. Complicated? How do you ever hope to summit the peaks of things as complex as spirituality and synthesis of social and political understanding if you find the meager discipline required to make Toffee too complicated?

Umm...I don't?

Yeah, that's it. I don't. Not really.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyTrick

s it english if it has corn syrup? because nobody here uses that. Not even sure if it's in the local shops? Never seen it, never used it, not even sure what it is.

Probably not. I think that you folks use treacle. Here are the ingredients from Walker's Nonsuch English Toffe:

Ingredients:glucose syrup, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, black treacle, hydrogenated vegetable oil, butter, salt, emulsifier, flavourings

Here is the recipe for Thornton'e Toffee. Looks like the it is Golden Syrup in this case.

2 cups sugar 1/4 cup brown sugar 3/4 cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup 3/4 cup butter 2 cups heavy whipping cream 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon salt Read More www.epicurious.com...

I will try the Golden Syrup. It is available from a nearby store. Thanks for the heads up. I am always aiming for authenticity.

Also. In developing my own method I have been shooting for the same flavor profile found in See's candies. Their stuff walks all over the imported stuff, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

mmm golden syrup sounds more right to me, probably similar things.Would be interesting to make both see what's best. Thornton's isn't very good stuff these days all factory produced and full of fake stuffs.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

oh, thanks!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Lyles Golden syrup.
Cant get it here and this is no way to live.
Blackstrap Mollasses is a good sub for black treacle.
What I really want is yorkshire parkin and maybe some brandy snaps. and some lyles golden syrup of course. on a spoon, directly to my mouth. and no i am not fat.
Now....onto the bacon thread!!!!

Edit to add. Star for you. We all need some high glycemic snacks to keep us occupied while we consume our daily doom, gloom and ancient mysteries!
edit on 20-4-2011 by mutantgenius because: add star giving

top topics

join