It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows Recovery Virus...please help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Alright, so basically I'm here doing whatever I normally do. And I get this pop up thing and there is this program called Windows Recovery saying a bunch of stuff is wrong and whatever. I google it and apparently it's a pretty new and popular virus thing.

www.bleepingcomputer.com...

Following that guide I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Scan it through, and a bunch of things are detected and it says it gets rid of them. Now the Windows Recovery icon and tab bar thing are gone.

But now I have a bigger problem.

If I click on my computer it says I have 31gb free out of 136. Which is what I guess I have normally. But if I click on My Pictures it says empty. My music...empty. My downloads...empty. Basically I have no files anywhere.

But if I go onto iTunes I can play all my music..which leads me to believe it's still there.

So what can I do to fix this. I know a bunch of you guys are really smart. I'm just upset. And tired and want to fix this and go to bed.
edit on 4/15/11 by enjoies05 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
from the link you posted.
have you tried this step yet?
17.This infection family will also hide all the files on your computer from being seen. To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:
Unhide.exe (download this file from the page)

part of the virus attack added +H to all your media files (which made them hidden)
you can check this by going into your music directory and then show hidden files
the unhide program removes it, but it will unhide everything so dont click on new files you havent seen before in system directoires

i use linux to avoid virus attacks like these.

edit on 15-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I just did that step. Everything is back now. I hope that means this is all finished with.

Thanks btw

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
No no no why is the icon back on my desktop.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I hope that means this is all finished with.

Your running windows... it will never be finished with... (insert maniacal laughter here)
but your welcome. you should always back up your files to another HD (external) and then unplug that drive and store it away, then if you ever need to reinstall windows you can recover alot easier.

btw i posted this while your posting your second post, so i didnt mean to be nasty

run linux for internet accses and save windows for offline, it really saves alot of issues btw
and you can install ubuntu along side windows really easy

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Friend, ITunes is malware. Looks like you will have to erase your hard drive and reinstall Windows, that is, if you have a copy. U2 me for that. Why not make the switch to Linux, like everyone else that simply got tired of viruses and malware all the time? Linux is free, easily downloaded, and never a virus. Wine will play those Windows games, and Linux is a lot faster and more stable than any Windows. I run Fedora Gnome myself, and would never go back to Windows.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
As others have mentioned, reinstall Windows(or go to another OS), because the longer you wait, the more corrupt your files will be. Those malware programs will also block you being able to access your control panel and to even shut down.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well, I hope things are working out for you. For years I used Windows, learning everything I could about securing my computer. Spending hundreds of dollars on security software and countless hours on configuring & maintaining my system only to be compromised by infuriating drive-by downloads that would take my system down apprx. twice a year. Of course this involved having to reformat my hard drive & reinstalling and updating all over again & then fighting with the software companies I had purchased programs from to recognize the licenses on reinstall. Some would work with me - others wouldn't, so I had to purchase new licenses all over again or switch to other programs I eventually ended up paying for. Not to mention all the pictures, music & documents, etc. all lost. I guess, what I'm saying is - I can feel your pain. Then, like some of the others here, about 3 years ago, I found out about Linux and eventually settled on Ubuntu because it works best with my computer. I love it - no more malware! Just get on the computer & use it, without hours of running virus scans, cleanups, defragments, etc., no more drive-by downloads, etc.! It runs consistently, fast & stable. Best of all, thousands of quality software available, all for free. Linux comes in a wide variety of flavors you can choose from, whatever works best for you. It really is quite easy to install & use. The only reason I'm sharing that, is because I wish I'd known about Linux long ago - it would have saved me a lot of headaches. Best of luck to you & please keep us updated.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Ive recently had similar issue which I spent the last week combating. Tojan.. malwarebytes and antivirus diabled unable to udate all files encrypted startup hijacked etc.

I was able to download Iso somthing or other from Cnet which elminated all traces of the virus when ran in safemode however, this disabled my windows validation.

I restored my PC back to 2 months ago, uninstalled and reinstalled malwarebytes and avast updated all my pograms and rebooted. The Vista B**ch is running now.

Try Cnet for an assassin program to purge the infection then restore. Hope this helps.

( edit: Linux is really the way to go)
edit on 17-4-2011 by MsAmen because: (no reason given)

top topics

join