It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Gets Plastic Surgery to Avoid Bullies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Parents of 7-year-old girl teased for her ears said surgery was the only option.

Video link
What has happen to pride in a person that they are so scared of being made fun of they will get surgery? This is ridiculous beyond belief. Another reason that public school system is not educating our children it's a t.v. show with kids attacking one another.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Wow....They called it an epic moment?!! I can understand getting the one ear fixed but getting both of them pinned back too? At 7?? That is insane. My sister had ears that stuck out like that when she was a kid but she grew into them just fine!! The partents should have waited untill she gets older and see how she grows into them and then get the one ear fixed. In my opinion anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FeraVerto

I know a young lad that had the same thing, he had surgery to have his ears, (pinned back) - Sometimes you have to act for the best regarding your child, ears will not get better when you are young, its not until you are older that it all seems to balance.

The world is a cruel place and people even worse..........why should a child go through this if it can be rectified.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
That is nuts. I Got it when I was a kid for my last name.
I did not change my name.

You have to stand up to these bullies.... or learn to laugh at yourself. When you do not take yourself so serious, others will not either.

Kids are cruel as they are still learning social skills. Almost everyone I know has had one person who made their life hell. Surgery is very extreme and sending the wrong message to the child.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Goodness i dont know what to think on this one, Its so sad that a child would feel the need to have to get this done at such a young age, You would hope that through the parents she could gain the confidence to stand up to those bullies and ignore there mean words,

Saying that... I have 7 year old niece's and you would not beleive that this age of girls could be so mean,
Its like 7 year olds are like 13 year olds back about 10 years ago,

Its hard for me to know what the right choice here is, I would fear that the child would get bullied so much that it may affect her child hood and the care free happyness it should bring them,

So Would i allow it? I just dont know.. But i think given that it may make her little life a bit more tolerable.. I would maybe think about it.

Today's children i feel have far far more pressure, Its sad.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Jeez, so much for being happy with just being healthy. So many people are unfortunately born with traumatic health problems and just because some brats want to make fun of her ears she gets plastic surgery? Damn. I know kids can be mean, but this is just ridiculous.

Imo, the bullies family should pay for the plastic surgery if it's such an 'issue' =p I know, I know.. never gonna happen though!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FeraVerto

From watching the video it seemed like the mom was the one having a problem with her daughter's ears. Like, it felt like her mom had image issues and pushed them on her daughter.

Personally, I think the little girl looked much better pre-surgery than post.

The docs said that her ears would correct themselves. The mom only gave the girl 7 years!!!! She's still developing!

I find it unsavory but to each his own. Mom had the money and daughter didn't care so whatever. I guess I just hear her mom in my head talking to the girl like: "You are going to be teased. You have do this. Your ears look funny, so we have to do this."

The girl even told the reporter herself that she hadn't really been bullied. This just sends the message that no, you can't be yourself. You will be a loser for the rest of your life if you don't fit in. You must be magazine perfect or you are the bottom rung of society and will be harassed by the "pretties."

I'm going to go hug my daughter now and tell her how beautiful she is.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sad. Really, really sad. I can truly relate to this kid, as I grew up with, and still have, a lazy eye and eye lid. Kids made fun of me too, but I still had good friends and came away with no lasting effects of the teasing. What my parents did was teach me how to stand up for myself for one, and two, they taught me that I shouldn’t be ashamed of my eye, and that I was just like everyone else. I remember that kids would call me “Popeye The Sailor”, to which I replied with “That’s right, and I’m going to eat my spinach and then kick your butt!” Sure, I never did get in a fight over it, but it taught other kids to respect me and treat me the same as everyone else. In fact, I really think it ended up building a lot of confidence in myself that I may not have gained otherwise.

Frankly, I think this bullying stuff has been blown way out of proportion. Sure, there are isolated incidences with suicides over it and the like. But I have to think that had the parents taught their kids confidence and helped them feel good about themselves, then it wouldn’t be in the state that it is. In fact, all aspects of kids/parents these days are that way. It is what is now called the “Trophy Generation”, because everyone gets a trophy. There are no more winning and losing in sports, only participation. Everyone gets a trophy, not just the winners. Hell, they don’t even keep score anymore! Also, they don’t even flunk kids in school anymore, they just move them on to the next grade!

End of rant.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Lovely to hear you say "I am going to give my daughter a hug and tell how beautiful she is" - If only more parents say this............

Confidence is what children need along with encouragement.....also security - I think drugs, drink are so much to blame for the displacement of children today.

Maybe I have gone a little of topic ...........Sorry

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When I was around that age, my cousin (whose parents were more well off than mine) had big goofy ears. He got picked on because of them. Had some sort of surgery to I guess tuck his ears back. I've always sort of resented the fact that somehow he managed to get his big dorky ears fixed while my parents wouldn't get my teeth fixed.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
True story: A kid I went to school with had his ears surgically pinned back because they were so big and prominent, and the other kids made fun of him. If you think that was the end of the story, then you don't know kids. They then started making fun of him because he had his ears pinned back.

By the way, this was in the early '60s, so there's nothing new about this. We just didn't have internetz and utubez then. Who knows how many tens-of-thousands of kids have had this surgery in the intervening years....

new topics

top topics

join