It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooking for your dog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hey all

Well as this is food and cooking and i guess dog stuff is ok too!,

Anyways.. As my dog (Storm) has major allergies i have to cook everything for him, If a human cant eat it then either can he..

So i thought 1 i would share with you a really simple recipes to make your own dog treats! (There great and even my kitty like them lol)

And 2, If anyone has any recipe's to share they they also make for there dogs,cats ect ect,

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe
Everyday Biscuits
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons dry parsley
2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons honey
1 egg
5-6 cups whole wheat flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C).

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the parsley, garlic, broth, honey, and egg. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.

Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. Using small bone-shaped cookie cutters, make biscuits! Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Let cool overnight. (After we finish baking all batches of biscuits, we turn off the oven, then spread all the biscuits out on one baking sheet and set them in the oven to cool overnight. The extra time in the oven as it cools off helps make the treats crispier and crunchier.)

It makes blimming loads!!!! lol so you can share them out with your friends pets too, I use these for training treats and that saves a bunch of money

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Great recipe. Thanks. ...Now, how about homemade dog food that doesn't need to be made fresh everyday?

S&F&

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I personally don't really believe in feeding dogs biscuits because I feel it is unhealthy for them as a whole. However Your recipe seems healthier then store bought. I still would decline on it. Give a dog a bone and make his day. A real bone not a fake one or one made from raw hide. I would give my dog one of those big giant ones you can get from Petco or whatever Pets store is in your town. Or I would just go to the butcher and grab a couple bones from him, but I usually have to cook those ones up first. Dogs love these and they last a long time, so its a tasty little treat thats always where they last put it when they want it.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

I agree, dog biscuits you buy at the supermarket / walmart etc (the mass produced ones) are not good at all. All full of chemicals and what not

Also, i know wheat flour isn't great for humans, and i'm pretty sure it's not great for dogs either

When in doubt, remember that a dog is just a wolf, then think about what wolves eat (meat and bone).

Also, i can no longer give real bones to my dogs, as they've worn their teeth down too far from it. Bones are extremely good for dogs. In this case, i should mix bone meal into their food.

OP, Have you tried the Merrick brand of dog food? it's all natural, no preservatives (except vitamin e i think)

I've had great luck with it....most people think my dogs are under 4 years old, and they are both over 10.

I've also heard that garlic is not good for dogs...sulphur content...onions too.
edit on 14-4-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
With my waking mind and blurry eyes i thought this thread read
"Cooking your Dog"
lol that sure woke me up! Thanks

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Oh you and me both, Im looking in to this for sure and once i find something that may suit i will be posting it,

I have to make everything for my dog, he is on a special diet called the balf diet which is raw meat and bones ect,

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lansky
"Cooking your Dog"

No you will have to come back later for that recipe.......when the SHTF!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Oh i fully agree with nothing is 100% the greatest but everything in moderation, My pup only has treats at a training class on a weekend the rest of the week he has his nice big bucture bone

I have tried some of the natural foods but many still contain Animal derivatives which he has a very high allergy to, and thats pretty much in everything,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/298d50b8f9cc.jpg[/atsimg]

Thats my lil fella xx

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

WoW Thats a beautiful dog you got there. We just filled out an application to adopt a puppy but we won't find out till the 26th or 27th of this month if we get it. He's a Siberian Husky mix and looks a lot like yours. I will come back and post pictures if we get him. I am definetly gonna be praying about it and put all my positive thoughts towards it! Is your dog trained? I am an excellent trainer.....as a trainer you don't really feel the results of it until the dog is more mature like yours though. The puppy stage is gonna be rough! Wish me luck ah?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Yep Storm is also a mix, German Shepard x Siberian husky,

He is responding great to training and is very smart, you do have to make sure he has loads to do as he is always buzzing to run! lol So if anything you get fit quick with a dog like this,

Good luck with getting yours!!! Ill be also sending loads of positive thoughts your way to get it too

lol you will get accustomed to "Coat blowing" lol so forget ever wearing black! lol the malt worse than your average dog, Storms almost 2 years old now He has been such a pleasure and a great addition to my family,

He even has his on FB page!! lol so if any of you are on there let me know and ill link you to him x

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

well little pups bowls me over. and i think its cats that are not allowed garlic. . and its also good for keeping the pesky flies away. oh what a pamperd poch . big hugs from me .. now no chaseing the kittys. :-)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Storm is beautiful.

I have 3 dogs, well, 2 real dogs and a Shihtzu

My larger two eat dry food, and cut up vegies, and milkbones for snacks through the day. The Shihtzu can't chew the dry food well enough, and good canned dog food is expensive, so I started cooking for the little one twice a day. It's way cheaper. Too expensive to replace the dry food for the larger two though, but they get good stuff.

When I do training with snacks, I use cut up meat or cheese. It's cheaper than the packaged snacks, and healthy.

Sometimes I make a big pot of ground meat, lightly cooked, and add a handful of different mixed vegies, basil, oregano, or rosemary, and olive oil. Sometimes I might add some brown rice or oats, but minimal because it's not a dietary need. It helps give more flavor variety.Then I freeze it in containers, and it takes care of 1 meal for the day, and then the other meal I just work it from whatever I have around. Cook very lightly only, it's better for them when it isn't cooked too much.

I don't do the raw meat diet, he has a lot of face fur, and he's always in my face. That type of diet works out better with larger dogs, and ones without the long face fur. Egg yolk is hard enough to get out. :shk:

If they get a lot of variety in their food, they're less likely to end up with vitamin deficiencies.
If the meat you're using is lean, add more olive or flax seed oil. They need a certain amount of fats in their diets. Some veterinarians have oil blends for sale.

If trying any other type of oil, research first. Canola, and soy might be genetically modified, corn is no good for anything.

2 or 3 times a week I cook up hard boiled eggs, or poached, trying to keep the yolk soft. All three get some egg as a snack. A spoonful of cottage cheese or plain yogurt helps with the calcium requirement.

As the little dog gets older, I will be looking into if he needs vitamin supplements. His vet knows how he eats, and she's all for it. He's in perfect health, and I've been feeding him for almost 2 years this way now. It's a good thing I like to cook...

No onions, garlic, or any chemicals or salt. I've also heard that garlic is bad for them, so I don't take the chance.
No raisins, grapes, grape seed oil, chocolate, avacodo, or macadamia nuts. They're all thought of to be poisonous.

Also, if there is anything in the house with xylitol, that artificial sweetener, be very careful. It's highly toxic to dogs if they get into something containing it. It's in a lot of store bought baking these days, and gums and candies. My shepherd actually went into a friend's purse and took out her gum one day. Glad she didn't chew on it.

Also good to add to homemade dog biscuits are shredded cheese, or peanut butter

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Originally posted by Lansky
"Cooking your Dog"

No you will have to come back later for that recipe.......when the SHTF!

I totally thought that someone was thinking along those lines hehe

Thankfully i was wrong this time.. but actually, i can see that coming up as a thread soon enough

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I love my dogs, but the day I cook for them...somebody shoot me, hehe...

Seriously though, I do occasionally pan fry some meat that is questionable (datewise) (their stomachs will take it more than ours will), but that's about it. I'm no vegetarian, but I'm no fan of throwing away meat either (kind of seems insulting to the animal).

Interesting recipe Asala...and I admire that you care that much for your dog and his condition.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Thanks for the recipes! s&f I'll see if I can post some of mine...
I'm always looking for different treats to try for my dogs, because I don't like to give them store bought cookies and such. Though, I don't suggest use of garlic-but has been said to boost the immune system-, unless one does monitor the dog's health. Garlic can cause problems and is not good for dogs large daily dosages.
Also, I prefer cooked meat over a raw diet. Rice is a great addition to the meal, as are eggs. Raw bones are alright, being better than cooked brittle bones.
edit on 30-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Though, I don't suggest use of garlic-but has been said to boost the immune system-, unless one does monitor the dog's health. Garlic can cause problems and is not good for dogs large daily dosages.

Yeah garlic and onions can cause anemia in dogs.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have a diabetic dog that I cook for. Every week I make up a 2 lb bag of brown rice, 1 lb bag of mixed veggies, and and a good amount of whatever lean meat I have on hand. Sometimes chicken breast, or lean, well drained degreased ground beef, or roast beef. I have to add calcium and a vitamin to it. She's been eating this for years and does well on it. Sometimes I add other things, but these are the main ingredients.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The good thing with the recipe is that you can leave out the bits you dont want, The garlic is only a spoon full so no big deal on just not adding that, I tend to leave it out and put in parsley or a little mint,

Liver cakes are also good as well as tuna cakes, they can even be microwaved, so ill post up that later, xx

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Great recipe. Thanks.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I misread the title of this thread, I thought you were going to give me recipes to cook dog.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join