It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Provigil/ Modafinil - Alertness & Smart Drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I want to start a thread on this so-called 'smart' drug. Typically associated with students, the military, long-journey truck drivers and night-shift workers, this drug enables individuals to keep going for long periods of time without a need for sleep. As a result, productivity can be increased by a massive amount. This has obvious benefits to students cramming for exams, or soldiers in combat for whom sleep would increase vulnerability.

Here in the UK, Provigil/ modafinil is unavailable other than by prescription from a GP. If it is safe enough for the armed forces to give trheir staff to use, then why is it not available to the general public?

I suffer from sleep apnoea, and feel that this drug would be of great benefit. However, I don't want this condition on my medical records (for job reasons) so I really resent the fact that the health service acts in this all powerful gatekeeper role and treats us like fools who are unable to tell what is and isn't good for us.

Has anyone here tried this drug? I'd be very grateful for any experiences, anecdotes or feedback.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hey,

I've never personally tried those drugs but, if you want information or reports on peoples experiences with drugs you should try www.erowid.org you might find something about it on there.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Yep. Look at the clinical studies available online. For example 'google scholar, etc'.
The reason I like it is because it has a 'happiness' effect (which 'they' dont know why or how- that always makes me laugh btw), and it helps with major depression which has a bad side effect of lethargy. Having something to give you a 'boost' is truly helpful as it disrupts the lethargic- gets nothing done- leads to one feeling as though theyve wasted a whole day- which in turn makes one more depressed, etc.
BUT
It is not approved for depression- so I understand your anger at the whole Pharma stopping you from obtaining them.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I've taken it hoping that it could help me tackle work and school, and undertake the responsibility of working on my fixed upper house I had just purchased. It worked great for a couple of weeks, but then I started feeling lousy and depressed. I stopped taking it as it was making me lose motivation in everything I was doing and I felt like I was going to be a mess of I continued using it. I'm pretty sensitive to medicines and I was just taking half or a quarter of a dose, as the doctor recommended.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Also,
I could be wrong but the medication Olmifon is in the same catagory as the other 'smart drugs' and although not as potent, I think its legal in UK. I don't know for sure though!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I took Provigil years ago because I was falling asleep during the day. I have never been diagnosed with sleep apnea or narcolepsy but my doctor at the time prescribed it, he really listened. (My new one won't grrr) I absolutely loved it, energy like crazy. I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks from moving so much. My house was never so cleaned and organized. I can't remember if there were any other side effects though now.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Provigil works, but it gave me major headaches. I was disappointed. Ritalin/Adderall are amazing, but are bonafide amphetamines. I think using moderate amounts of caffeine, ginseng, and ephedrine together works very well. Ephedrine is good stuff and not dangerous if you don't use excessive amounts. No perfect drug for productivity yet A regular sleep schedule, healthy diet, and low-levels of stress work better than anything else.
Provigil and Olmifon comparisons
edit on 12-4-2011 by lostviking because: add link

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

Typically associated with students, the military, long-journey truck drivers and night-shift workers, this drug enables individuals to keep going for long periods of time without a need for sleep.

Sure, there are lots of things a person could take to get a boost of energy for a short period of time, but you would never want to take such chemicals for long periods. Sleep is of massive importance to health. Sleep is when the body repairs itself from all of the stresses of the day. Deny yourself adequate sleep and your body soon breaks down. When that happens no drug will help.

The best idea is to get balance in your life in all regards: stress / rest, nutrition / exercise, work / play. No one thing is going to get you past the need for balance. If you are having some imbalance and not getting enough rest, or are too lethargic; sure some additive, preferably herbal or natural is OK, but not forever or all the time.

Check out herbal alternatives which can be very potent but are less likely to have serious side effects which all manufactured/ prescription products have in abundance.
edit on 4/15/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Nootropics like provigil are awesome. People will always tell you shouldn't take the stuff, but they most likely don't want you to have an advantage over others. Now you could take other supplements to get the same effect but its rare and effects everyone differently (meaning it may or may not work). The only things that are guaranteed to work for everyone are illegal or prescribed. So I recommend you fake ADD, ADHD, or some type of sleep disorder until a doc prescribe you what your looking for. Sure its wrong and blah blah but I'm sure you don't really care what people think you just want results.

On a side note if you live in the US do not order Provigil or any other Modafinil knock-off online. It is a Schedule IV controlled substance and they will come and get you...bad memories (lol).

Almost forgot if you want something is similar effects (just takes longer to feell those effects) try Adrafinil. It is not yet regulated in the US so you can get it online without the party van rolling into your drive way. Your door will thank you....(poor door it was such a nice door....I'd just painted it too....)
edit on 12-5-2011 by Testsubject3 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join