It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumzenithal arc, 46 degree halo, and sun dogs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

S&F for some excellent pictures

The 46 degree halo is the outer one, which can be seen extending from the circumzenithal arc (it's not featured in the chart you posted). Never seen one myself.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

thanks!

yeah, i think i can recognize it in relation to the circ. arc. But if i see a ring around the sun, all on it's own, how do i tell if it's a 22 or a 46? I'm guessing the 22 is the most common, and anything in addition to that (44, circ arc) would be in addition to? So if i see a full ring around the sun (sunglasses help) it's a 22? but if there is a SECOND rin it's a 46?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Amazing shoot by the OP, S&F!!

Here are some compositions tries of both pictures.

BTW, don't you have any other photos of this sundog? One have a size of 638*470 and the other of 569*486, are these original or did you cropped/resized them?

I would like to do a compo using the original, if you don't mind!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

BTW, don't you have any other photos of this sundog? One have a size of 638*470 and the other of 569*486, are these original or did you cropped/resized them?

I would like to do a compo using the original, if you don't mind!

Wow, neat! No, they arent re-sized. Or at least I dont think they are.I merely uploaded straight from my cam to computer to ATS.

I'll check over the weekend and see if I can post some more. I still have some good video, too. Stay tuned....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

22° halos are much more common than 46° halos, so if you see a single halo, chances are it's a 22°. Also, the 46° halo is more than twice the diameter of a 22°, so it would be easy to tell apart from the 22° halo by it's sheer size, especially once you have seen the more common 22° halo a few times.

You can also extend your arm and spread out your fingers, and if you place your thumb over the sun, your little finger's tip should be in about the position of a 22° halo. That trick is also good for estimating where sun dogs should be, since they are also 22° away from the sun.

And yes, chances are if you are seeing less common halos and arcs, that the 22° halo will also be present, and will usually be brighter than the less common halos/arcs..

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Okay, so what you have is a 22° halo plus a 46° halo plus a supralateral arc.

This is very rare and I must say that you were a lucky guy!

See explanations at atoptics:

- 46° halo

Is it a 46° halo or a supra/infralateral arc?

On 27.11.2010 from 09.30 till 13.30 CET Claudia and Wolfgang Hinz could observe the depicted halo phenomena, comprising not less than 22 types of halos, in the German Alps of Upper Bavaria:

- 22deg halo
- left and right parhelia
- upper and lower tangent arc
- upper and lower sun pillar
- circumzenithal arc
- 46deg halo
- parhelic circle
- upper, lower and circular Lowitz arcs
- Anthelion
- 120deg parhelia
- supralateral arc
- infralateral arc
- upper suncave Parry arc
- subsun
- left and right subparhelia
- Wegener anthelic arc
- Hastings anthelic arcs
- upper and lower Tape arcs (46deg Parry)
- heliac arc
- subhelic arcs
- Moilanen arc

source

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
okey Dokey. Thanks so much you two for some great data. That website you both linked to was very informative. Learned a lot.!

I feel so lucky knowing it was such a rare sighting. I even called the local news radio station, but they thought i was a lunatic: "Mmmhhhm, big rainbow in the sky. sure. thanks for calling". But who's laughing now, jerk!

anyway, Guys I have a bunch more photos i can upload if you request.

In the meantime, this video has a bunch of good shots, including the pahrelic arc on the 'left' sundog extending out quite a bit. This was taken late afternoon, maybe about 5 or 6pm around a little north of the 49th paralell, a few hours from the pacific ocean. enjoy.

edit on 15-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

WOW!! S & F

Some of the most amazing footage I have ever seen of a halo/dogs/etc., etc.!! What a rare sighting. What I wouldn't give to have been there with my camera!!

Thank you so much for sharing and i would love to see any other pictures you have. Maybe you already said, but if you don't mind, where abouts are you located?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

"This was taken late afternoon, maybe about 5 or 6pm around a little north of the 49th paralell, a few hours from the pacific ocean. "

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join