It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanaque Reservoir UFO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
(And space portal! See last link to ATS thread)

Surfing the web and came across a strange UFO encounter, New Jersey in '66. It had an abundance of credible witnesses, that was what caught my attention at first.
Nothing showed on ATS search exactly re: this incident so thought I'd would put my feet in the water here. This is the wiki page report on the incident en.wikipedia.org...

Jan 1966 Wanaque Reservoir NJ - It shot a beam of light down towards the ice

UFO in the form of a bright light seen in the vicinity of Wanaque Reservoir, led to traffic jams and overloaded police communications networks. The UFO shifted color on a continuing basis. It shot a beam of light down towards the ice near the dam, maintained its position for another half hour and flew off to the southeast. Another UFO, sighted the next night near Wanaque, was observed flying in zigzag pattern. The mayor, Warren Hagstrom, as well as Chief of Police Floyd Elston and captain Joe Sisco watched the craft for some time.Two reserve officers, Sgt. Ben Thompson and patolman Edward Wester, also witnessed the craft along with a number of other observers.

Did some digging and this is the most detail I can find...it is the "source" the wiki entry references, just a couple pages long but a great read - chronicling events of Jan 11 and 12 calling it the Rosewell of NJ. Good statements from many credible witnesses..
Weird N.J.: Your Travel Guide to New Jersey's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
By Mark Moran, Mark Sceurman
books.google.com... eTYmkIMW5tgftwLz6Ag&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=13&sqi=2&ved=0CHQQ6AEwDA#v=onepage&q&f=false

This also related long article - very interesting from man who did extensive witness interviews immediately following the incident. Interesting perspective here. Fascinating stuff.
www.andras-nagy.com...
What Happened At Wanaque, N.J.? (An Objective Look At UFOs) By Lloyd Mallan

An interesting aside: the natives pronounce Wanaque as "Wahn-a-cue." Those who were not born in Wanaque Borough, or who live in nearby communities, pronounce the name as "Wahn-a-kee." No matter how you may pronounce it, Wanaque, N.J., has been the scene of many UFO sightings.Among the responsible persons there who have reported UFOs have been the Borough Mayor, the Mother Superior of Mount Calvary Convent, several members of the Pompton Lakes Police Force, many members of the Reservoir Police Force (including its Chief), Borough Councilmen, a newspaper editor, an electrical engineering student and a mathematics teacher.

"You mean, it made almost a 180-degree turn?" I asked. "No. A 90-degree turn, I would say. It came up and made a right-angle turn straight across and then made another right-angle turn and continued onward." "These were square turns, in other words?" I said. "Yes. Square turns. Completely square turns - which was another thing that brought my attention to it. What I didn't realize then was that the course this thing was taking, from where I was located, was directly toward the Wanaque Reservoir. I later plotted its course on a Geodetic Survey map and wound up with almost the exact position over the Wanaque Reservoir where the police officers saw the saucer, or whatever it was they saw.
"Anyway, I couldn't explain that transverse movement. I couldn't explain the brilliance of the thing. So I felt that when I got to work, I would keep quiet about it. Because I thought that maybe the guys on the paper would think I was flipping my lid.
"After I reached the paper, things began to develop this way: We started getting telephone calls, not from the cranks - but from the police.
We got a call from the Pompton Lakes Police Headquarters, which acts as a sort of monitoring network for several communities in this part of Passaic County, New Jersey. And they said that Wanaque was having a series of UFO sightings. Their timing was about 6:40, which was within the realm of possibility from the time that I saw this thing.

There is a thread from ATS mentions Wanaque and a "portal" or vortex? www.abovetopsecret.com... from 2004
Titled: Any updates on the Wanaque, NJ vortex? thread started by: AlnilamOmega.

"Aliens Said to Observe Earth Through Vortex October 2, 2000 - A UFO investigations organization says recent research by the American Science Foundation has verified the presence of New Jersey vortex that enables alien intelligent species to enter Earth's environment. Reported by Above Top Secret weekly newsletter, the so- called vortex, near Wanaque, is a "doorway system that provides an unknown species or several unknowns to travel reasonably without observation" from an unknown other side of the portal.

Edit: I also came across reports of mothmen sighted in this area that were impressive esp considering the last sentence of the above ext. quotation. This would qualify as an unknown species.
edit on 8-4-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Best...post...ever!

I'm speechless

I was joking, since I clicked on the thread, and it showed nothing.....but its up now! Great story...
edit on 8-4-2011 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
2 stars

Heres a third.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
3 stars and a flag! you guys are alright!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I found an interesting UFO encounter and was trying to post it as my first thread. I hope you aren't the only ones who'll show! This is a good one.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

Check it out again will you? I am not sure why that happened. I was linking and copying and pasting and accidentally erased my info. damn

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Nice thread!

S&F

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Claudius

Thank you Claudius. I hope my thread not undergoing technical problems at the time you saw it.

This is indeed a strange report and with news of a portal all that much stranger.

I ran accross a UFO video in my search last evening that most closely resembles what these Police Officers and the Chief describe, a brightly lit object, moving quickly and shooting down a beam of light.

When I can locate it again I will post it here because it is pretty amazing if what all these folks say is true.
So far this case has proved undedunkable!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I live a few towns over from Wanaque and have always been interested in this incident.

Other than one letter to Weird NJ, that some guy said his grandfather created this hoax with some fireworks n a balloon, or something, I've never heard an explanation for it.

And, I've never heard anyone pronounce the town "wahn-a-kee". Never.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by IrvingTheExplainer

Funny you should mention that because in my searching I also came across a facebook page with many of the names mentioned in this case. It was from a group of people in nearby Haskell. There are 2 links here in addition to the first WIKI report of the story. If you delve into them even a little bit you would have to assume either the entire town was in on the gag or this is one incredible UFO encounter that is seriously difficult to debunk.
One of the witness says they are all instructed to tell people "they saw nothing" by the DOD or some other government agency whose name escapes me.
I will bet many of these witness are still alive and it would be interesting to get a few of them to comment here.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
From what witnesses describe maybe this sighting was similar to this one.
Not sure how to embed the video yet but here is a link to it on youtube. It is a bright flashing UFO that shoots down a beam of light. This could have been faked but judging by peoples reaction I think not!

www.youtube.com...

Beam is just a few seconds in.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

The photos of the 1966 Wanaque Reservoir incident are arguably one of the best ufo
evidences of all times. Here Elaine Conroy holding the True Magazine article about the
1966 Wanaque Reservoir New Jersey UFO photographs. Courtesy of Wendelle Stevens.

August C. Roberts and Wendelle Stevens. Incident involving multiple witnesses, the local
Police Department and the Air Force.

Hundreds of spectators at Ringwood and Wanaque sites surrounding the Wanaque
Reservoir watched what was described as a glowing egg-shaped object moving
from place to placeand a times shooting down beams of light.Reservoir guards vividly
recalllater going out on the ice and finding thawed placeswhere the object had
been seen hovering. Mayor Wolfe, some Councilmen, Dam guards and some of the
young teen-age children of the Councilmen were up there on top.
They declared: “Up on the Dam when this object came over and was over the ice, and
put out a flash of light (light beam), and put holes in the ice, he beams of light seemed
to put holes in the ice”

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by IrvingTheExplainer
I live a few towns over from Wanaque and have always been interested in this incident.

Other than one letter to Weird NJ, that some guy said his grandfather created this hoax with some fireworks n a balloon, or something, I've never heard an explanation for it.

Hey thanks, that cool. I found this strange site and dude. Must be the water?
Surfing the Apocalypse Unexplained 1/2 way down mentions Wanaque
ttp://www.surfingtheapocalypse.com/unexplained2.html
It could be this kid as he sounds unhinged.

-My contact started in Wanaque NJ in 1964, during a big UFO flap. I met with aliens who call themselves "Endorians". These aliens are inter-dimensional and come from an Earth of the astral plain, which takes up the same space that our Earth exists in. They told me that I would meet them again and I did. I was told all the usual things, such as "you have a mission", there are changes coming and so on. Last year I was told to start filming the sky and I photographed 1700 UFOs. That was neat but they said if I keep up the work I would go to the next level and have contact again. I did and contact came last Feb 10th.(Bryan Williams) THE WINGED CREATURE OF WANAQUE--Being born and bred in Wanaque was probably my moral downfall as many strange, unexplained things have happened to me while I lived there with my parents (which is why, at age 18, I split that town for good). I was 9 years old in 1966, but I remember the Wanaque reservoir UFO flap like it was yesterday. I remember this bright blue light in the sky and the cop standing next to me being visibly shaken. Being a kid, I thought it was cool.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by free_spirit

Appreciate the information. I never heard of this story and just found it by accident. Do you know anything more about the incident. Wonder if any of these people are still alive and willing to talk about the incident? It would make a great interview and story.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by IrvingTheExplainer

www.hiddenmysteries.org... Have you heard anything about this vortex activity there. I have a couple friends in NJ.
Have to give credit to the Shroomery Message Board for the link from blogger psycryptic
his quote

They had an episode about this place in Wanaque, New Jersey. There was suppost to be a vortex in the woods near Wanaque. The local native americans wont go in the woods, think they're haunted, etc. Well, today I decided to follow up on it. So I did a quick search on Google and came up with a couple interestin articles. If your into weird things and mysticism and such you may want to look at these. The site is also the place where a munitions factory blew up a while back killing hundreds of people instantly.

And then offers the links above for more information. And it is really so strange can't belive I never heard of this and I lived fairly close, Yonkers most of my life
heres a little bit from this link. Freaky.
Maybe a little far fetched?

The NJ Vortex energy doorway, discovered several years by Bryan Williams, a student and scientist of the metaphysical... appears to be a conduit through which free roaming, intelligent beings are using an unknown technology to keep a surreptitious eye on us Earthlings. Study teams, including those of the US Army, the Department of Justice, the CIA and the private groups such as Team Orb, have found an alarming variety and numerous presence of the unexplained "orb phenomena", along with an increasing tendency by the phenomena to behave in a way that can only be described as "intelligent" and capable of following individuals in a manner that can only be described as "surveillance".

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Because of the space portal I think this sighting should keep getting peoples attention. I mean it was cops after all and a Mother Superior and now talk of a Space Portal in JERSEY! of all places!!!
Are they putting something in the gasoline there? This should be setting off alarm bells for heavens sakes people!
No sooner do I say alarm bells than one goes off. Time to walk the mutts!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Naptown317

Where are you Naptown317? The thread was not up when you first visited. Would like you to notice the awesome and incredible features of this under reported UFO sighting of 1966. The people that witnessed this crash are still alove! This was New Jersey USA not Scotland and another ATS thread (also mysteriously under reported - are you getting the subliminal message - a reason for being under reported) talks about a portal. It all smells like some kind of UFO government plot coverup - you ask me.
Seriously ,Did you ever come back to check it once I got the link going?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

All these reports of ufo's and water makes one wonder whats down there in that water. Id like to think that there is something or someone down there that is sending or receiving info with those beams of light. Seeing as there can be water on other planets, I dont think they come this far to play around in it. I wonder what role water plays for ufos'? Whats your take on this newcovenant?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
That post is the first time I'd ever seen photos of the incident. I never saw it mentioned that anyone took photos.

If you pick up some copies of Weird NJ, you will see lots of Devil's Holes, vortexes and things like that as well as lots of other "unexplained" events and happenings.

They specifically tell you not to travel to a lot of these places because they are on private property and are patrolled regularly. I believe the mag has gotten in some trouble as people use it as an excuse to trespass.

So, that makes it difficult to check these things out first hand. Otherwise, you have to rely on hearsay.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Naptown317

All these reports of ufo's and water makes one wonder whats down there in that water. Id like to think that there is something or someone down there that is sending or receiving info with those beams of light. Seeing as there can be water on other planets, I dont think they come this far to play around in it. I wonder what role water plays for ufos'? Whats your take on this newcovenant?

That is a great point. I haven't considered the reservoir itself - another ATS thread says there's a space portal there. I think our planet being 3/4 water would be like a magnet to planets with less. Maybe ships fuel up with water. Yes I think the water there might be what they were attracted to.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join