It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marshal MKII Superlead 1959 (advice needed)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
So i just picked up a vintage 1959 Marshall MKII Superlead. Not sure of the year as the serial number isn't helpful but it is indeed the 1959 model with 4 inputs. I've been assured it's "vintage" meaning no mods have been done so it's all original except any replaced tubes. The cabinet isn't the stock it's a massive 4 speaker cabinet (earth brand?) with 2 speakers in the top.

(I'll post up some pics if that would help with any advice)

The monster is loud, loud beyond belief so I'm going to pick up one of those 'Power Attenuator' pedals at some point.

This is my first all tube amp. I'm versed in the care required but that's about it. I'm hoping some users here can offer some sound advice for me:

How safe is it for me to pull the back panel off an inspect the tubes? I do know it hasn't been cleaned out in awhile I'm just unsure of the procedures, I'm expecting some capacitors back there and have been warned to treat a tube amp much like a CRT monitor, just don't open it as you can easily kill yourself.

It appears as if 2 tube spots are empty, so I'd like to know if I can pull the panel off to inspect it safely, do I need to ground the amp? Is there a way to discharge any stored current?

How can i determine what Ohm setting the amp/cabinet is using? What difference does this setting make (4ohm versus 8ohm) to sound coming from the amp?

The amp header is 100 watts, what do I need to be concerned about when pairing a speaker cabinet? I'm looking for something small, maybe 2x12 instead of 4x12. Any advice on good speaker cabinets to get a nice rich tone in the clean channels at reasonable volume? Can i just go buy any speaker cabinet or does the 100watts determine which I can use?

I've also read that with the 4 input model you have 2 channels, and you can use a patch cable to link them together. What does this do? Is this safe to try?

Any advice would be great. If you have a similar rig and could offer advice as to cabinets, replacement tubes, even gain pedals, please speak up.

Currently I have that amp and cabinet, a randall 75watt tube/solid state combo. Boss ME70 effects pedal, cry baby Wah, BOSS compressor/sustainer.

some of the distortions on the Me70 don't sound as nice through a big tube, a few will pass the test though. When I tested the new amp I used a Marshall Gov'nor (i think that's how it was spelled) and man that really brought out the crunch.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I don't have any advice to give as I am not much of a tech.
I just wanted to state my love for Randall tube amps because they are one of my favourite amps that I have played thru.
One of those moronic know it all dudes at the music store actually told me there was no such thing.

I can't stand those pompous know it all guys.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yeah I had never heard of Randall myself, I was actually looking for a pedal at the time and my wife pointed out this amp off in the corner, plugged it in, walked home with it on the spot. Think at the time it retailed 400$ and I got it considerably cheaper. Nice foot switch too. If it was a pure tube I probably wouldn't have upgraded, but it's a combo and the tube only kicks in at higher levels.

SWEET tone for my strat though, sweet, just not ballsy enough to play shows with

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Sounds like like the input setup is similar to the fender bassman?

If you're not sure about how safe it is to inspect electrical components, i highly recommend getting a professional to do it or at least advise you in person (ie being able to point and tell you what does what). Getting a shock from an amp like that is unpleasant at the least - words of experience.

I have the Boss ME-50 and I concur, I don't enjoy most of the distortions through a large amp and the new Guv'nor would sound great I imagine, I've only heard the 'Jackhammer' myself.

As for gain pedals, hard to know what you'd like without knowing what you play, but there is likely a Big Muff style pedal for you. I like the Russian Pi, although the casing is a bit bulky and needs an adaptor if you want to use a power source rather than a battery. It's thicker and wetter than the traditional Big Muff.

on your recent investment

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BombDefined

Yeah I've played the big muff and the smaller version through, I'm gonna say a Fender Hot Rod, at the store, but passed as my amp just wouldn't sound like that at the time.

i'm kicking myself for getting rid of my tube screamer a few years back, Trey from 'Phish' uses (or used) 2 of em to get that high tone punch, the compressor helps with the attack but doesn't drive it enough for my tastes.

top topics

join