It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

space exploration, change we don't need

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This thread got me thinking abovetopsecret.com... We as a human race should not put money into space exploration. We are destroying our own planet and we want to find another? The same will happen to that one. We'll drain it of it's natural recourses and move on to the next one, just like we're doing with Earth. Earth is dying and we're the reason, should we not focus our efforts saving it rather than moving somewhere else?

Were humans ever meant to be doing what we're trying to do? No. Here is us In the beam of light all the way to the right that dot is us. Us trying to comprehend space is like a single plankton trying to understand the pacific ocean. The distances of other galaxies isolate us from them, and we were never meant to travel those distances. The human brain is not complex enough, nor would I want it to be to understand the vastness of space.

Humans throw off balance. Nature is a prefect balance, the food web, energy transfers, evolution, it all balances perfectly. Then along came us. We started chopping down trees, killing things in mass quantities, we unbalanced nature everywhere we went and it snow balled to present day. Our water, air, ground, us, and everything is is being poisoned or destroyed, natures perfect ecosystem has been tampered with. Why is the rest of the universe any different? I'm sure it has it's balance too and if we tamper with it. We're just gonna destroy it too.

The human race is ignorant, and instead of worrying about space we should worry about our Earth and what we doing to it as a species.

To finish this thread off this video is to help put into perspective of what we are.

peace love and light on your journey
all the best,
Jacob
edit on 3-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I agree that we should focus on things more Earthly in nature.

But I would be for it in that case if I had prior knowledge that our efforts to leave this planet would turn out to be a success before Earth is lost.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Were humans ever meant to be doing what we're trying to do? No.

How do you know that humans were never meant to explore space? You are so close minded... Space is there for every species in the cosmos to explore. Both good and bad species have the right to explore space and find their place and who they are in the process. By forbidding someone to explore, you are impeding them to grow and preventing them from reaching their true potential. I mean how incredibly boring would it be if only good species had the technology of space travel and all... Everybody has the right to explore the unknown. Why do you think living organisms have the desire to explore. I think it is to grow. If we never explore, we will never evolve and progress. We will never become wise and we will never be strong. In fact we will never survive. Exploration is one of the most beautiful things there is. It's right on top with freedom and liberty. Freedom and liberty for the good and the bad.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

I would say we should put money in space travel,for the simple reason that even if we managed to solve all our problems on earth,and stop destroying it,we could still experience dustruction from space in the form of giant asteroids/meteors/solar burps/supernova.

No good having a beautiful pristine planet to live on if the sun decides to fry us all...

So yeah sure,try to look after our home planet better than we do now,but keep exploring space as well.
We can do both if we put our minds to it IMO.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

We have found our place in the universe, it's Earth. And we're destroying it. Why do you think any other part of the universe we traveled to would be any different? It is because we have not grown as a species that space exploration is a bad idea. Look what happened when Europe went exploring, they took the continents recourses, enslaved or killed it's people and forced ignorance on them. We found North America and it was like the garden of Eden, beautiful, full of recourses and friendly people and we # on it. Ask the native Americans if they've grown as a race from getting "discovered". We are far too bad to our own planet to want to go trash others, our stand is Earth, and we need to save it.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
And throughout the last two decades certain interests have spent BILLIONS of dollars in propaganda to get you to think that way!

The PTB DO NOT WANT US VENTURING OUT INTO SPACE!

Heres why:

1. the scarcity paradigm: If we were to build a robust set of space assets with commercial interests able to get to High orbit the sheer QUADRILLIONS of dollars of resources that could be harvested for humanity would FLOOD the markets and even HIGH tech goods would be DIRT CHEAP.

2. Freedom: Once a large robust NON MONOPOLISTIC space infrastructure was in place these same corporations would lose out to smaller more agile competitors, and those that couldn't stomach the repressiveness of Earth bound life would leave for the frontiers... Except UNLIKE the last mass emigration they would take what they need to build a high tech and fast innovating society with them. The type of society where technologies can no longer be Used for every last penny of profit before the next new thing is allowed to come to market! The strangleholds would be broken quickly and quite possibly permanently!

So although yes humanity is not exactly doing a great job with Earth I still believe with every fiber of my being that NOT going to space and NOT giving humanity a goal to shoot for could very well result in a NEW DARK AGE that I see rapidly closing in around us.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The sun giving out is gonna be billions of years from now and if we don't save the Earth we won't make it till the sun gives out. And there are no comets even near us. Not only that looking from the Earths stand point if a disaster did happen it would be like wiping out a skin disease. But the point is we have more to fear from ourselves than comets and the sun giving out in billions of years.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Are you saying tax dollars or just any money in general? As for as tax dollars, I agree, it's a waste. But if a private company wants to explore space, then let free economics do it's job.
I don't really agree that humans aren't "meant" to explore because they are destructive. We explore because we are curious and want to learn more, not because we kill one area and move to the next. For that logic, we would have never left Mesopotamia or crossed the oceans. You are also implying that humans aren't part of nature since you say we throw it off balance. Also, If the universe is so huge and we're like a single plankton in the ocean, how is it that we are going to throw it off balance?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Actually I share that view. I think we should first solve all our problems here on earth before colonising other worlds, but I don't think we should stop exploring other worlds.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by cleverhans

We are tiny compared to Earth too and we are destroying it. We would find a way. Not only that but it's not the exploration of Earth itself that was bad it's how we did it. Europeans pillaged, enslaved, and destroyed everything they came across. Thats terrible. Where as the Chinese simply discussed crops and talked with the natives they discovered. They were mature and reasonable about it. That great they benefited as a nation from it, and didn't hurt the indigenous species they encountered.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
reply to post by Jepic

We have found our place in the universe, it's Earth. And we're destroying it. Why do you think any other part of the universe we traveled to would be any different?

But if we don't destroy Earth, a cosmic event will.

If the Earth was doomed and there was hope for a small group of people to leave Earth to possibly continue somewhere else, would you be for it? Or would you try to incite a group of people to tear down their ship and launching pad while telling them that their fate is to die with the rest of the planet?

The way there might not be PC, but I think we still need to get to that point.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

What cosmic event would this be?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

What cosmic event would this be?

Why are you worried about what the event will be?

You should be more worried about when.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The Earth survives...maybe we dont but in the end the Earth will be fine

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

reply to post by cleverhans

We are tiny compared to Earth too and we are destroying it. We would find a way. Not only that but it's not the exploration of Earth itself that was bad it's how we did it. Europeans pillaged, enslaved, and destroyed everything they came across. Thats terrible. Where as the Chinese simply discussed crops and talked with the natives they discovered. They were mature and reasonable about it. That great they benefited as a nation from it, and didn't hurt the indigenous species they encountered.

What makes you think humans are going to destroy the Earth? When is the last time we did?
edit on 3-4-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
... call me Species centric but honestly to my mind what good is the earth if humanity has not survived?

There are a myriad of things that could kill us all and leave Earth intact.Most of them we would have very little warning of if any at all due to the secrecy industry.

Also the utterly POMPOUS idea that we humans can destroy the Earth... well it just makes me kinda laugh.

Ma nature is a resilient old lady and we are impetuous young pups...

I still stick to my assertion that we need to expand out into the solar system and then even further as soon as possible. Also one other thing to consider is this, If we had a space infrastructure we could start unloading earth. Maybe not a lot at first but until we start the process the number will ALWAYS BE ZERO!

Many of the people I know and speak with about things such as this feel the same way I do that if we really wanted to be good to the planet that has served as the cradle of humanity, We would find a way to branch out further and give Earth some time to heal.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Fixed problems or not we are still going to need off this rock, the sooner we can acomplish this the better.
Realistically the money that will speed this process up is from the private sector anyway and they are more than welcome to spend THEIR money in any way they wish.
Bring on the real space race I say, lead by the likes of Branson.
Space exploration will become a necessity in the future, not a luxury.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Yes you are true when you say we are ignorant, like were all that and a bag of chips.
But the stupidity of the human race where this has taken us is the fault of the few who have taken us here with manipulation and control. We got fed steroids for everything sort of to speak, we are a result of who ever made us to be like this, the elites are to blame for what human nature has become, arrogant and full of it's self.

It is their fault.

edit on 3-4-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
XxRagingxPandaxX I understand your concern but we have plenty of time to right things, and we do need plenty of time to develop a reasonable space travel mechanism too if we aren't going to be stranded on a dying earth in a couple of billion years from now, should we last as long as our mother earth.

The first thing mankind need to do is abolish a monetary system of trade of goods and knowledge and somehow work together for the greater good of humankind. That itself will take care of exploitation and entitlement. Create a system of rewards for the most prized and important minds that don't segregate society into classes. I have no idea right now what that is. But if we are to ever progress to the point of advancement to harness the vast distances of space travel in any substantial form we should (is my hope) solve the human condition along the way.

We would all love to see that come to fruition.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Put money into it? What does money matter? You seem pretty keen on pointing out the things we effed up on Earth, why not point out our societal flaws? Money is the reason we've destroyed Earth.

We should not keep all our eggs in one basket. Earth is too prone to destruction, we see that every day, i know we havent forgotten the Japan EQ so quickly. It would take one good sized event to totally wipe us out.

Do you not want to survive? You dont want to live? As far as we know, we are the only life, and we need to preserve that. How do we do that? We spread out, not in a few directions, but all directions. We cannot stay on Earth. We are beings that consume resources, it is our nature. As our numbers grow, so do our need for resources. Soon, our numbers will surpass the ability of the Earth to support us, we will have to go. Space exploration should be our biggest priority, we need to find a way to save ourselves before it is too late. And what does it matter about planets? There are BILLIONS of stars in our galaxy, and on top of that BILLIONS of planets in our galaxy, im pretty sure there would be enough planet to go around, and then some...

Your logic fails. Humans are geared to explore, and youre telling us not to. FFS! You are a human. Do you not look tot he night sky and feel a calling? We have to go, once you realize this, youll be happier, because you seem REALLY effing cynical.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join