It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

second hand smoke

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

I can't paste all of it here as it is scientific stuff but here's a basic intro on Wikipedia..

And please educate yourself before asking info in such a way. Are you twelve?

Anticarcinogen

An anticarcinogen is any chemical which reduces the occurrence of cancers, reduces the severity of cancers that do occur, or acts against cancers that do occur, based on evidence from in vitro studies, animal models, epidemiological studies and/or clinical studies. Preventative anticarcinogens act by enhancing an organism's natural defenses against cancer, by deactivating carcinogens or by blocking the mechanisms by which carcinogens act (such as free radical damage to DNA). Anticarcinoma agents participate in the selective destruction of cancer cells, or inhibit the growth and proliferation of cancer cells. See also: Chemotherapy. Interest in preventative anticarcinogens is motivated primarily by the principle that it is preferable to prevent disease where possible, and that positive actions can be effective as well as negative ones (such as reducing exposure to known carcinogens). Anticarcinoma agents that do not have significant negative side effects have a similar potential role, by reducing the seriousness of any cancers that do occur.

en.wikipedia.org...

So we have anti-oxidant rich foods.... Check..

Chemo therapy... check..

Smoking or ingesting green illegal substances and tobacco.. check... err wait what was that?

Yes, that's right.

Known anticarcinogens

There is epidemiological evidence that a diet rich in antioxidant vitamins and flavonoids is anticarcinogenic. Interest in many popular nutritional supplements, including essential antioxidant nutrients such as selenium compounds and hormones such as melatonin and DHEA, is partly motivated by evidence that these have significant anticarcinogenic effects in appropriate quantities. The major psychoactive component in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol, has been shown to have anticarcinogenic activity.[1] The other major component of cannabis - cannabidiol, has also been shown to inhibit cancer cell growth, with low potency in non-cancer cells. Although the inhibitory mechanism is not yet fully understood, Ligresti et al. suggest that "cannabidiol exerts its effects on these cells through a combination of mechanisms that include either direct or indirect activation of CB2 and TRPV1 receptors, and induction of oxidative stress, all contributing to induce apoptosis."[2].

en.wikipedia.org...

Antioxidant Activity in Tobacco Products

Antioxidant Activity in Tobacco Products

Tobacco Product....... Type.................Antioxidant Activity
Camel.......................Cigarette...........230
Oliver Twist................SLT Pellet.........195
Marlboro....................Cigarette...........190
Kodiak Moist.............snuff.................132
Skoal Bandits............SLT Pouch........97

This research was supported by the Tobacco Research Fund (UAB).

Ext Link

There's your rabbit hole, now go down into it!

Start smoking, today!
edit on 2-4-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Second-hand smoke?

If second-hand smoke killed, we as a species - whose ancestors lived in caves, teepees, tents, shacks with fireplaces that smoked, and every kind of structure or shelter that used fire - would not be here.

Second-hand smoke is a crock of crap spread by anti-smokers to scare the uninformed into supporting smoking bans.

Due to forest fires around the world and volcanic eruptions and smoking volcanoes, you breathe in more crap than you'd believe.

The lungs have cilia. They are there for a reason.

You don't like breathing smoke, move out to your own smoke-free environment.

You can't move out?

Well. Them's the breaks.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I love how the anti-smoking lobby abandoned this thread after I made clear smoking organic tabacco can actually prevent cancers from forming at all.

Did they go out for a smoke or something?? Where is everyone!?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PureET

The Issue of the Health Risks of Second Hand Smoke are STILL Up for Debate .........

www.journaloftheoretics.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Wouldn’t it be a wonderful world if we went after illegal drugs with the same over-zealous tenacity that they go after smoking with? Instead of worrying about what your neighbors are doing, like smoking and what they are eating let’s get all the PC police together and eliminate drugs. Then we can go after other important things like, women who wear too much perfume or people that fart in public, cough or sneeze, don’t wash their hands after going to the bathroom... The possibilities are endless.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
So my dad is a hard core smoker and admits that it's bad for him. But he doesn't believe in second hand smoke! I'm 16 and have to live with him and I hate cigarette smoke and can't convince him it's bad for me. I mean i'm outside a lot and I stay away from it as much as possible, so that helps but i'm still around it sometimes. He says theirs no evidence that second hand smoke exists. My mom doesn't like it either, she says it's his addiction talking.

So my plea to you.... Please post concrete evidence or a link to concrete evidence that second hand smoke does exist and that it is bad for me.

I want this to be a collection of facts that I can show him and try to convince him it does exist.

Thankyou!
all the best,
Jacob
edit on 2-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

ya, see my other post about 2nd hand smoke.

i don't believe in it but you might be screwed if YOU do.

don't sit in front of his face everytime he lights up.

free tip, btw.

you want me to call child services for you?

i'm 57 and my parents smoked worse than you can imagine.

car, house, hospital, movies, planes, everywhere.

i ain't dead yet.

good luck.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
First let me say, that yes I'm a smoker, I smoke and I love to smoke. I'm also a responsible smoker, in that I do not smoke around non-smokers...not because I give a crap about their health but because I don't like to hear them whine while I'm enjoying my cigarette.
I do not throw my butts outside when I'm driving, because I'm somewhat of an environmentalist and care about my planet. The fact is kid, your dad is king of his castle, he pays the bills, it's his house he can smoke if he wants to and you are no one to tell him he can't.
Here are some things you can do until you can move out and live and pay your own bills in your smoke free home...
1. Invest in a good air purifier for your bedroom, a good one will cost somewhere between 100-300$ but cheaper ones are available. (I had a job when I was 15 so don't tell me it can't be done)
2. Buy some plastic clothes bags you can drape over your clothes that hang in your closet to protect your clothes from turning yellow.
3. Maybe purchase a few smokeless ash trays and candles to set up around the room that your dad smokes in the most.
4. There are also a lot of odor/smoke eating sprays available on the market designed for cigarette smoke that doesn't just cover the odor, but eliminates it.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Why are teenagers so whiny nowadays? Didn't use to be like that.

Everything is not all about you. Grow up.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Ain't it the truth!

Not long ago, our parents would smoke in the house, but it really didn't matter - they ran us out of the house in the morning, and told us to play outside.

All day.

Had to entertain ourselves.

And that second-hand smoke? It won't hurt you.

What's killing us is our "clean" water.

Kid, worry about the electromagnetic blanket that surrounds you all day and night. You'll more likely mutate before dying of second hand smoke.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join