It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im panicking

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hey, so i was reading about the stocking up on supplies, and im wondering, all of you people, are "old" and have jobs n stuff, but i dont, i still go to school. I mean what can a 16 year old do to get ready for any SHTF occasion? or am i screwed?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

edit on 30-3-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Get your parents involved.....but never panic - think and react quickly to danger but never panic.
Even in the face of death....it is dysfunctional (meaning it could get you killed, ironically).

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

what can a 16 year old do to get ready for any SHTF occasion? or am i screwed?

You shouldn't be anymore screwed than the rest of us, and in fact your youth may serve as some assurance.
I would just read up and familiarize myself with some of this stuff. Do an ATS search on survival, or go to the Survival Forum and check it out, there is a plethora of excellent info there! BOB bag preparation is key, and planned options are another good idea.
Oh yea, ALL of the survival shows emphasize NOT panicking, that is the worst thing one can do!
Calm your mind and prepare, so that you feel somewhat comfortable with the subject and what it entails.

Best wishes,
spec

edit on 30-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Worry about your school work if you want to panic

that will change your life far more then whatever you're afraid of...

Silly lad

edit on 30-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well first thing you should do to even start trying to prepare is not panic.
Your mind can't function in a quick and sufficient manner if you are panicking.
There are many threads here on ATS that have suggestions of how to prepare.
Anyone can prepare to some degree for anything, and any degree of preparedness is better than none at all.
And just think, if nothing ever happens to where you have to utilize what you prepared...you will have the peace of mind that you are.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

I am "old" and have a job and stuff - My advice - get educated
Do not believe the first thing you read - research for your answers
Learn as much as you can - stuff like basic first aid, differnt ways to purify drinking water, what you can eat in your local area

And then pray you never need to use what you know

Prepare for the worse, Hope for the best - Oh and breath, panicking will not help you

Hope this helps guys

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just make sure you leave any city if you live in one when things do get bad..You have NO chance at all in a city with frightened, idiotic people...The'll kill you and take all you have.....

I wouldn't be surprised some of these fools running around carrying Ipods, and t.v. sets they will have stolen..That just shows you how stupid they are...Thinking of stealing and their own pleasure when the world is threatened....They should be at old folks homes helping them get the hell out and away.. Getting disabled people out also...But, sorry to say, you want see this...The'll be all for themselves....The pieces of Crap they are....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Survive what? The 2012 senario, earthquake, pole shift? Exactly what and then you will get exactly the help you are after, plus we will need to know which city, town, country you live in!!!! And, do you drive, how fit and healthy are you?, how many in your family, do you have a car, how big is it? Are you a panicker or are you calm, and do you read books?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
First of all calm down.. Learning to keep calm is one of the most important things to do during any given situation.. Get in shape, make sure you have good fitness levels, concentrating on endurance rather than speed. Make a survival kit. You can fit what you need into a waterproofed tobbacco tin(google for contents) and carry it with you. Google lofty wisemans SAS survival handbook and study it. I can vouch for it as i was taught, practised and used the methods for real many times as a soldier.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
thanks guys, i will start looking more onto survival forums, and guides.

but as far as getting my parents involved, its weird, its like they agree on half of what i say, then they're, like the other half is wrong, so i have basically that doesnt help.

Now i get the "no panicking" part, which now that i think about it does help more than panicking.

But you also have to see my situation, call me crazy but i live in New york city, so im thinking that this place is a perfect target for any SHTF situation. my only problem is that when/if it happens i will have very little supplies...

regarding nuclear reactors, they're 3 around my area all within 100 miles of NYC, also local scientists say that NYC is long over due for an earthquake.i know not to go into the city (cause i live in the outer-outer suburbs of queens, like literally on the border of the city) so i dont really have a problem going out east to the island.

in my family there 4 people including me. i have 2 cars, suv and a sedan, i dont drive and im pretty fit. im going to start working out again, and im calm, im just panicking in the sense that i wont have supplies - which isnt totaly important but is good to have.
edit on 30-3-2011 by Dinogur because: extra

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If you have any money I would suggest getting a 25 pound bag of rice.I just bought one for 11 bucks and change.store it cool and dry.Dried beans are cheap, couple of bucks for a couple of pounds. Learn how to reconstitute them.You can live on rice and beans for quite a while.Check out canned tuna usually cheap, but check the expiration date the longer it's good the better.Get some multi vitamins will help replace what you don't get from rice and beans.Try Walmart for beans and rice. Maybe tuna too. There are other canned meats too. Remember to check dates. This is the most inexpensive way to go I could think of. Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

Well, tell your parents you want to live by your self in the basement for a week...They might be convinced to buy you tons of food and... tell them you want guns

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

You should discuss it with your parents, they may not listen but maybe they will. I think the best you can do is educate yourself on things you will need to know how to do if the shtf and you have no supplies. Ways to purify water, things you can eat that are available in your area, how to grow things etc etc.....it's free.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinogur
Hey, so i was reading about the stocking up on supplies, and im wondering, all of you people, are "old" and have jobs n stuff, but i dont, i still go to school. I mean what can a 16 year old do to get ready for any SHTF occasion? or am i screwed?

Yeah youre screwed. If you know anything about human history you would understand in SHTF times its always the old and the young that go first. Usually the old die of starvation, but the young usually end up on a spit over a BBQ.

If you haven't watched "The Road" or read the book I suggest doing so.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

Well...I don't really do anything to prepare, because trust me, we'll be screwed if 2012 is as bad as people make it out to be...all I do is go about my life in a mostly normal way, I don't live in a city though, and I would agree with a previous poster who suggests that if SHTF you need to be out of cities. Cities will be the worste place to be, it'll be total chaos. Just take what life throws at you and have fun with it, no matter what it is...there's no need to prepare for all these hypothetical events that have a large chance of not happening.

reply to post by Count Chocula

Usually the old die of starvation, but the young usually end up on a spit over a BBQ.
That's just sick, and not at all how it would go down. Children would be left behind and trampled, just likie the elderly they wont have the means to survive on the own without carers. But lots of children will be protected at all costs by their parents.

edit on 30-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I can understand at least some of your fear. I grew up with the fear of nuclear annihilation.

First things first. Think about what are the minimum things you need to help you stay alive for 72 hours. Then collect them, and keep them someplace where you can get to them easily. You may or may not be home when you need them. It will surprise you to know how small this is and how inexpensive also.

Then start thinking longer term, weeks, then months. There is allot of information on the web. Some people are self taught and have turned this kind of thinking into a full time job. Just a thought.
edit on 30-3-2011 by fatboyinternational because: I hate my own stupid mistakes more than anything

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
First of all - don't panic - be the voice of reason IF the SHTF. It may not hit. But if it does, be a source of strength and clear headed thinking for your family because mentally - you are prepared. That will be very important. I'm sure your Mom and Dad have things good for trade - booze, cigarettes, clothing.....just make do. I actually think there will be a lot of giving people around - other family members, neighbors, who will help out. Dont stress about whatever, if anything, happens.

I'm an adult but I dont have 6 months of supplies either. I'll do what I can, but don't sweat it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
don't panic, OP! all is well. you are already ahead of the game because you are aware of the importance of preparation.

first, i'll pass along what a WWII vet said to me when I was your age, and uptight about the situation of the world as it was then. he told me: "Don't worry about the world, you're too young for that. Let the old men worry, your day will come. For now, there are better things to concentrate on, like school work and developing a decent golf swing."

keep in mind, the old veteran was of a different time. he told me stories of playing cowboys & Indians or army men with his friends in the woods after school, when they were 16. a lot of youth was more innocent back then, just before Uncle Sam sent them off to die overseas.

look around on this site and you'll find a lot of good archive material. devote a little time each day to reading about camping skills to start. and get to work on a BOB = Bug Out Bag. learning to Be Prepared is what so much of Scouting is all about, and Be Prepared is the B.S.of A. motto.

you can scoff lots of good info in the SURVIVAL Forum archives here on ATS. you can start to assemble some things you already own for your BOB. go from there.

please don't let the panic overwhelm you. my friend, people have been anticipating the end of times ever since someone invented the wristwatch. keep a cool head, think before doing, think about the consequences. it is wise to be prepared for emergency, because things happen. but don't let it (or your imagination) run wild, that will get you nowhere fast.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
First of all calm down.. Learning to keep calm is one of the most important things to do during any given situation.. Get in shape, make sure you have good fitness levels, concentrating on endurance rather than speed. Make a survival kit. You can fit what you need into a waterproofed tobbacco tin(google for contents) and carry it with you. Google lofty wisemans SAS survival handbook and study it. I can vouch for it as i was taught, practised and used the methods for real many times as a soldier.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Good ideas & if you have plastic milk containers, perhaps rinse them thorougly to store water.
Even 2 liter pop bottles (when empty for water)..
I saw on ATS someone saw that potassium iodide is the iodine ingredient in multivitamins. (ask your mom to buy you some vitamins, & take them!) You can do a lot descretely to prepare!
Don't forget to pray.
edit on 30-3-2011 by 0731JLVR because: edit

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join