It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin size, distance and scale explained.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Couldn't you say the same about a bullet being fired at a person from a gun half a mile away? Bet it still hurts on impact. Nice presentation of your discussion/argument btw but I don't see where you have taken into account the velocity of the comet and the potential destruction that that velocity would cause on earth or the moon.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseekr1111

Rubbish.....where DOES this junk come from? Whose fertile imagination online? Only to be be swallowed whole, by the gullible?

...like 3 major quakes occurring on unique ELENIN EARTH SUN alignments....

This is so ridiculous.....anyone with common sense can see it immediately. Forgetting, for the moment, NO so-called "alignment" with the comet, our planet and the Sun!! (Total bull).

In any case......SIZE and MASS and DISTANCE. Elenin is at most 5-6 km in diameter. A loose collection of mostly (dirty) water ice. HOW FAR AWAY right now? Well, hang on, I'll check:

Well....AS OF March 1st, this article.....:

www.dailykos.com...

.....the comet Elenin was still 4 A.U. away!!! Do you understand the grand scale of our Solar System? At all, even a little bit? As I write now, in April.....it is about as far as the Asteroids....STILL FARTHER THAN MARS!!!!

Now, think real hard.....is there some sort of celestial mass near the Earth right now? Much, much closer and MUCH MUCH bigger??

This comet has NO effect on the Earth, it is way too small and way too far away. It will remain FAR away as it passes by.

PLEASE, try to learn some science and astronomy....because:

...only a fool would ignore....

...the opportunity to learn some facts, and then be able to see all these "Chicken Little" fear-mongers all over the Internet for the fools that THEY are.....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Its worth noting back in 2007 that comet Holmes coma swelled to 1 Million KM or about 70% the diameter of the sun. The nucleus was about 3.5 KM.

Comet Elenin sounds pretty much the same and we are still here.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Rubbish.....where DOES this junk come from? Whose fertile imagination online? Only to be be swallowed whole, by the gullible?

but of course you have no evidence or argument as usual, to back up anything you're claiming.

...like 3 major quakes occurring on unique ELENIN EARTH SUN alignments....

This is so ridiculous.....anyone with common sense can see it immediately. Forgetting, for the moment, NO so-called "alignment" with the comet, our planet and the Sun!! (Total bull).

since you're clearly uneducated in what you're criticizing and CLAIMING to be total bull, yeah, its so ridiculous... its a FACT there were 3 unique elenin alignments that connected to 3 major Earthquakes.

Its a FACT sollog and 9nania gave the exact details of the japan quake and even nuke disaster.

Its also a FACT you're totally ignorant of these FACTS.

In any case......SIZE and MASS and DISTANCE. Elenin is at most 5-6 km in diameter. A loose collection of mostly (dirty) water ice. HOW FAR AWAY right now? Well, hang on, I'll check:

seeing how ignorant you are on the other points, please show evidence for that claim. THANX

Well....AS OF March 1st, this article.....:
www.dailykos.com...
.....the comet Elenin was still 4 A.U. away!!! Do you understand the grand scale of our Solar System? At all, even a little bit? As I write now, in April.....it is about as far as the Asteroids....STILL FARTHER THAN MARS!!!!
Now, think real hard.....is there some sort of celestial mass near the Earth right now? Much, much closer and MUCH MUCH bigger??

You have to be the most ignorant person so far on the subject of ELENIN as it relates to the JAPAN QUAKE or anything you're responding to i've seen. and its Typical of your M/O... Rob B already spanked you in the 9/11 forum and now you're coming here for more spankings i guess.

This comet has NO effect on the Earth, it is way too small and way too far away. It will remain FAR away as it passes by.

there's TONS of threads and hundreds of post on this subject your'e clearly ignorant of. The FACT a unique alignment of Elenin connected to 3 super quakes in a row, is evidence that supports the theory you CLAIM has no effect on earth and too far away which HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PREMISE.

PLEASE, try to learn some science and astronomy....because:

PLEASE TRY TO LEARN ABOUT AND EDUCATE YOURSELF ON THE FACTS OF WHAT YOU CRITICIZE.

YOU'RE CLUELESS.

...only a fool would ignore....

...the opportunity to learn some facts, and then be able to see all these "Chicken Little" fear-mongers all over the Internet for the fools that THEY are.....

The only FOOLS are those who criticize things they know nothing about and can't support their claims or disprove facts and evidence with facts and evidence.

Now move along and stop trolling this forum

edit on 14-4-2011 by truthseekr1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mez353

Couldn't you say the same about a bullet being fired at a person from a gun half a mile away? Bet it still hurts on impact. Nice presentation of your discussion/argument btw but I don't see where you have taken into account the velocity of the comet and the potential destruction that that velocity would cause on earth or the moon.

Erm what? do you not think velocity hasn't been calculated along with the sun's gravitational pull to show the comets path?

Comets path

Thank you for your post sir! I have emailed the thousands of scientists and astronomers the world over including NASA and they all can't believe they didn't think of calculating the velocity in their calculations, I heard there was one big unanimous "face palm" among them...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

A 4km comet would still wipeout 90% of civilization.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills

A 4km comet would still wipeout 90% of civilization.

So what does that have to do with the fact its not coming near us?

And BTW a 4km comet would do some damage but it wouldn't wipe out 90% of the population you lunatic.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

If it hit Earth, it would easily be an extinction level event, and as to what percentage of the planet dies depends on how fast the 4km Elenin is traveling at the time of impact.

EXCEPT that it's not 4km, the source of your 4km size comet is from an estimate in a post on a blog, I think it is safe to assume your projected path is ludicrous too as its been changed a few times by NASA already.

LeonidOS says:
%A %B %e%q, %Y at %I:%M %p
At now we can’t tall accurate size of comet nucleus. By my estimate about 3-4 km in diameter, perhaps less…
But comet nucleus surrounding by extensive gaseous coma in many times larger than nucleus.

spaceobs.org...

So, your thread, "Coment Elenin size, distance and scale explained," should be entitled "Da Sun N Earth is Way Bigger Dan Da Comet, No Fears Yall!" Goofball style, cool story bro. I think it's safe to say you’re the lunatic for basing your thread's information on nothing and then trying to get away with it.

edit on 17-4-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Hi I dont usually reply to stupid people who I have already explained things to but I will...

Do you know what a nucleus is?

The fact that you have linked to the very evidence that proves you are wrong is sooooooo funny you noob!

I have linked to this site before but you "stupoid's" ( a new word I made up ) didn't bother to read it....

Leonids FAQ

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpal
Now im confused
Sooo what's meant to destory earth on 2012 Comet Elenin or Nibiru??

Nothing is going to destroy the earth in 2012 ... a calendar ends and a new one begins.
As for the OP, appreciate the time and effort gone into the post, easy to understand and pictures always paint a thousand words. You seem quite passionate about science and this comet in particular and it shows in your posts, including this one. S+F

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

No... I have no idea what a nucleus is
...really? The tail is huge, all Comet's tails are enormous compared the size of their physical center. But, I didn't say anything about that... did I?

However, you are basing your entire thread on one single estimate of its size. The statement of the size of the Elenin's nucleus on that website was in a comment to one of the articles (not even a full article). This is what Wiki and you linked to, and that post was just a complete rough estimate!

They don't have the actual size of the Comet Elenin's nucleus yet. So, for you just to imply that "you're all idiots" on the basis that the comet isn't even the size of a single pixel compared to a picture of the Sun and Earth is complete dis-info, as it means absolutely nothing. Because even if the 4km diameter hypothesis was correct and it hit Earth at 86,000 km/hr the kinetic energy release would still cause a MASSIVE extinction level event. Wait, can pixels do that…?

Since, they found it less than 5 months ago and are still collecting data I am sure the size, speed, and trajectory are still subject to change, as it already has done before. Now its trajectory doesn’t look likely to be on path to enter the Earth’s orbit, but its relative distance from us at the time of intersection and the possible +or- errors suggests that it is not improbable to think it won’t come very close.

edit on 17-4-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think the fear is not it hitting us, but rather, the debris traveling with it hitting us.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

This is about the dumbest thing yet, about this comet:

You have to be the most ignorant person so far on the subject of ELENIN as it relates to the JAPAN QUAKE or anything you're responding to i've seen. and its Typical of your M/O... Rob B already spanked you in the 9/11 forum and now you're coming here for more spankings i guess.

You don't even read what you copy/paste and quote back???

Still, continue on the nonsense that a tiny ball of ice and rocks that is farther away than MARS can "cause" earthquakes on our planet??? Face/Palm.....The MOON has more gravitational influence, by many, many, many orders of magnitude!! Heck even the Sun does!! THINK about it....try, try to be rational.

Let's get one thing clear, at least trying this: Agree that the SUN is much, much bigger than Comet Elenin? Yes? Getting it, now? Therefore, a HUGE difference in mass...yes?? OK.....the SUN is always...ALWAYS about one AU from us. That is what defines an Astronomical Unit, our average orbital radius. Comet Elenin is....now, pay attention....FARTHER AWAY from us, than the SUN is. Now, recall....which one has a HUGE, GIGANTIC, BIGGER mass???

Does this sink in, yet?

Oh, and "Rob B" is a sad excuse for a pilot. Bit of a lunatic, actually....funny that YOU should have agreed with his idiotic nonsense in the other threads....because showing a similar lack of comprehension here speaks volumes....

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

...fear ..... the debris traveling with it hitting us....

Absolutely ZERO danger, at all.

But, what makes you think it has "debris traveling with it" anyway??

A bit of out-gassing, some atoms and molecules of very, very tenuous and diffuse gases? Maybe, maybe a bit of tiny dust particles. As is the case with previous close encounters (and this one has an inclination that pretty much keeps it "above" the ecliptic as it crosses our orbit) any passing through those dust and even pebble sized (if there are any) objects will just result in a spectacular light show. Our atmosphere protects us....we are constantly being bombarded by meteoroids, of many sizes, every day.

The several thousand observations made, by now, of the orbit of Elenin indicate that its not "orbiting" our Sun.....its trajectory is hyperbolic. So, as it "falls" inward, accelerating, it will make a turn around, due to the Sun's gravity....and its outward journey will be "open".....it will exit the Solar System, forever.

It is therefore logical to assume that this object has not come inward before....this is its first sojourn into the "heat" of a star's influence. That is what will, over time and repeat visits, cause a comet to develop a substantial bunch of "stuff" that orbits with it....smaller pieces, again pebbles or smaller, usually.

BUT....first time visitor? Likely will be quite intact, mostly. Depends on what develops as it spends those months down around the Mercury distance, or so....

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

This is about the dumbest thing yet, about this comet:

actually that particular comment wasn't really about the comet, but about your spanking in the 9/11 forum by ROB B.

You don't even read what you copy/paste and quote back???.

obviously you're the one that isn't.

Still, continue on the nonsense that a tiny ball of ice and rocks that is farther away than MARS can "cause" earthquakes on our planet??? .

You can make claims and ignore the evidence that supports my argument and premise all you want... it won't change the facts that validate what I'm arguing which you haven't even remotely addressed or debunked.

Moving on...

Face/Palm.....The MOON has more gravitational influence, by many, many, many orders of magnitude!! Heck even the Sun does!! THINK about it....try, try to be rational..

more irrelevant rhetoric that proves and disproves nothing other than how often you write pages of this usual incoherent babble.

Let's get one thing clear, at least trying this: Agree that the SUN is much, much bigger than Comet Elenin? .

Has NOTHING to do with the issue.

Yes? Getting it, now? Therefore, a HUGE difference in mass...yes?? .

OK.....the SUN is always...ALWAYS about one AU from us. That is what defines an Astronomical Unit, our average orbital radius. Comet Elenin is....now, pay attention....FARTHER AWAY from us, than the SUN is. Now, recall....which one has a HUGE, GIGANTIC, BIGGER mass???.

Does this sink in, yet?.

Is it sinking in yet that your red-herrings have nothing to do with the issue being argued?

let me know when you educate yourself on the issue and facts... cuz so far its an epic FAIL for whatever you're trying to argue.

Oh, and "Rob B" is a sad excuse for a pilot. Bit of a lunatic, actually....funny that YOU should have agreed with his idiotic nonsense in the other threads....because showing a similar lack of comprehension here speaks volumes....

funny, he and many pilots there say the same thing about you

and based on the thread he spanked you in, I'd say he knows far more about flying and planes than you

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Comet Elenin is only a distraction..wait until it hits MSM next Autumn..

Thank you for your thread OP..

Sometimes though I really think that they made it look so fishy for a reason....there might be a REAL problem lurking around than...next Solar Storm?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
what i meant with my previous post i mean come on..

- Shut down NAZA Buzz Room after some report of very close approach by Elenin

- Google Sky Black Box happens to be obscuring where the comet may lurk

- There is little or no info about Leonid Elenin the discoverer

- They mentioned a lot a 3600 year period for comet Elenin

- They held too long to release pictures when I believe they were in their hands long before

- They mentioned the TAIL a lot...i still cant figure out what tail a 4km comet can produce

- Leonid Elenin popping up on every public internet source, Facebook..etc...all showing different style of English

is it really our fault we got a bit suspicious after all??

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken

- They held too long to release pictures when I believe they were in their hands long before

- They mentioned the TAIL a lot...i still cant figure out what tail a 4km comet can produce

- Leonid Elenin popping up on every public internet source, Facebook..etc...all showing different style of English

I totally agree mate.. nice little thread going on here addressing this subject
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken

No-one mentioned a 3,600 year orbital period except for idiots with poisoned minds. It's as few as 10,000, and as much as over half a million years.

Elenin is not in Orion, it's between Leo and Sextans, and, well, here's a small fact, Comet Hyakutake, a comet with a 2km-wide nucleus, created a tail over 500 million kilometers in length. 900,000, in Elenin's case, is nothing.

And, well, if you feel that Leonid is being duplicitous, you can always go to the very site he manages and talk to him.

Come back when you get your # straight.
edit on 18-4-2011 by NyxOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2011 by NyxOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Huh?

"Has nothing to do with the issue"????

Pay attention:

OK.....the SUN is always...ALWAYS about one AU from us. That is what defines an Astronomical Unit, our average orbital radius. Comet Elenin is....now, pay attention....FARTHER AWAY from us, than the SUN is. Now, recall....which one has a HUGE, GIGANTIC, BIGGER mass???.

Originally posted by truthseekr1111

NOW.....look at it again. THIS thread, BTW.....is :

***Comet Elenin size, distance and scale explained.***

(GO BACK AND RE-READ THE OPENING POST!!!)

So.....tell us again, how the above quoted by ME has "NOTHING" to "do with the issue"??? :shk:

This shows WHY some people are so easily deluded by the kinds of people like Rob Balsamo. He, and his ilk spread lies and disinformation....(AND, this fools those who really don't know much about aviation) .....which is what's seen on THIS ISSUE, re: Comet Elenin.....and astronomy, astrophysics and, well....just COMMON SENSE!!!

It is sad to see so many remain ignorant and superstitious, and exhibit their gullibility.... swallowing every silly "claim" written on the Internet.

Just to recall: My example using the SUN, and its distance and mass, compared to the Comet Elenin, and ITS distance and mass, is in direct response to the ridiculous claims you repeated (among others) of some so-called "alignment" of Elenin "causing" earthquakes!!!

Absolutely idiotic rubbish....it is astonishing that someone of normal intelligence would read that somewhere online, and fall for it so readily....and not THINK it through logically.

So, just to nail how EXACTLY my example ("thought experiment")...an exercise in logical, critical thinking is relevant:

ANY claims that Elenin can "cause" earthquakes are shown to be nonsense, when you understand that its mass is woefully insufficient, in comparison to the Sun...(And, well...the Moon too, by the way..) and especially considering its distance.

Is this so difficult to comprehend????

"Comet Hysteria" is not a new phenomenon. It is borne out of abject ignorance, irrational fear, and superstition:

THIS was written back in 1996....not only was a comet "approaching" then (comet Hyakutake in 1996, followed by Hale-Bopp in 1997) but the silliness about the approaching "End of the Millennium" was spooling up, and making people act like morons.

Comet Hysteria and the Millennium:
A Commentary

*The comet of 79 was blamed for the eruption of Vesuvius that led to the destruction of the cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum.

*Halley's Comet of 1066 was hanging in the sky for two months while the English and Normans were planning for an invasion. At the Battle of Hastings a few months later the Normans emerged as victors and from that time on the comet was said to have been a sign that favored William the Conqueror.

*The comet of 1665 was said to have been responsible for the Black Plague that killed 90 thousand people in London.

*The appearance of Halley's Comet in 1835 was blamed for several things, including the fall of the Alamo, the destruction of 530 buildings in New York City because of a fire that raged for several days and nights, the massacre of over 280 people in Africa by ten thousand Zulu warriors, and wars that erupted in Cuba, Mexico, Equador, Central America, Peru, Argentina, and Bolivia.

These stories are basically examples of hindsight, or links that were made by modern people to explain things in the past.....

2000 years ago, 500 years ago, maybe even can accept 100 years ago......science knowledge was terrible, and lacking. There is NO EXCUSE for such ignorance, today!!!!! Not with the easily available resources at one's disposal.

Another bit from the essay, linked above. (SEE if any of this sounds "famliar"....):

The "Doomsday Comet" of 1996

Beginning in 1996 minor forms of comet hysteria reared their ugly head for the first time since 1910. With the discovery of comet Hyakutake and the realization that it would pass close to Earth, some supermarket tabloids reported the comet was actually going to hit Earth--totally ignoring the predictions of astronomers. The due date came and went without a hitch and there was no further discussion.

Interestingly, one supermarket tabloid, the Weekly World News, published an article on 1996 February 13 that stated the Hubble Space Telescope had found a "doomsday comet." The article said "the famed astronomer Dr. Robert Cremson" had found the comet while examining Hubble images. He said it was the size of Europe and would hit Earth on April 7. First of all, although comets have been photographed by Hubble, no comet has ever been discovered by Hubble. Second, no one by the name of "Robert Cremson" appears in any of the records indicating use of the Hubble Space Telescope.....

How will all of you "fear mongers" and "doomsday beleivers" feel this time, next year?? When NOTHING happens (except a nice view, once-in-a-lifetime in this case....this comet won't be coming back).

Will any of those ridiculous claims be retracted? Will any who made them learn their lessons?

(I highly doubt it, based on historical precedents.......).

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join