It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin size, distance and scale explained.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
4 kilometers is big, the asteroid that impacted the Earth 65 million years ago was 10 kilometers...stop acting like this is tiny, yes, tiny enough to not effect the gravity of the Earth or the Moon, but big enough to cause some serious devastation on this planet if it did ever hit the Earth.

That 10 km (6 mile) asteroid that hit the Earth millions of years ago left a 180 km (110 miles) across crater and of course is what many people theorize was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs...

Stop calling it small, it's not small for a comet, it is small relative to the Earth and Moon. duh.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercurio

This thread has nothing to do with it hitting the earth its to show that its not even near us and wont hit the earth, have you seen the threads on here claiming it was responsible for the earth quakes? well in comparison to how far away it is, it IS SMALL and couldn't effect our planet in anyway, I never said if it hit however it wouldn't cause damage, you should really read the OP before commenting.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercurio

Actually it is small for a comet. Most comets have nuclei that are 16 km across. While we have seen comets that have nuclei that are as small as 100 m across we have also seen comets with nuclei 40 km across.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is great - thanks!

what about the earth travels?

how many km is elenin moving and how many km is earth moving?

I remember watching a West Wing episode where they have a near earth object and it misses by gazillions of km and then the astronimer points out that earth was in its exact spot 6 minutes earlier.

The numbers can all sound big and safe, but the planets are big and fast - so was just wondering if you could add those # in there? How much time for earth to get out of Elenin's way?

Thanks for all of your amazing and clear info!!

edit on 3/31/2011 by trusername because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Where did you get your info that it is only 4km accross as NASA didn't have it listed

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

24.4944 arc seconds big. do the math

Tail length ~900.000 km long (Yes a 4 km comet could do this.)
spaceobs.org...

Please use your brain even if its hard to believe but this is what fema is preparing on.

Even if the ice melts down to 40% it will be still bigger then the earth.

edit on 5-4-2011 by Chulra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
edit on 5-4-2011 by jumpspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Chulra

Thank you for posting that. No offense intended, OP, but focusing on the size of a comet's nucleus alone, on top of getting that number from wikipedia is, and can be in this situation, a grave error. Evidence shows the nucleus isn't the only thing that has to be worried about.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
To the guys above how does that change anything in my post? so it has a tail of 900,000 km, and... what?

second line.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
more dis-info to confuse the masses great ^^

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

As i asked how did you come up with the info it was 4km wide where is it written NASA haven't stated it

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
There are still plenty of unknowns here. This apparently is an object with no historical record.....unknown mass, size, material, trajectory, etc.We can only speculate at this point. I'd like to see JPL forcast it like a hurricane....with a cone type error graphic that gets tweaked as it gets closer and better defined.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insearchofthetruth1987
more dis-info to confuse the masses great ^^

Then don't post Dis-info ~

2nd line

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Why are so many so terrified of this comet?

If it enters our atmosphere I'll headbutt that astronomical #*$@% back into deep space.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkturbo

As i asked how did you come up with the info it was 4km wide where is it written NASA haven't stated it

The discoverer, Leonid Elenin, estimates that the comet nucleus is 3-4 km in diameter

Wiki

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

The discoverer, Leonid Elenin, estimates that the comet nucleus is 3-4 km in diameter

Wiki

1) It's an "estimation"

2) Hes an amateur

3) Hes the only source

4) He was most likely drunk on vodka when he made his "estimation"

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

Wiki

1) It's an "estimation"

2) Hes an amateur

3) Hes the only source

So what if its an estimation, even if it was 1000km in size my thread still stands its coming no-where near us.

He was most likely drunk on vodka when he made his "estimation"

What?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

Wiki

1) It's an "estimation"

2) Hes an amateur

3) Hes the only source

So what if its an estimation, even if it was 1000km in size my thread still stands its coming no-where near us.

He was most likely drunk on vodka when he made his "estimation"

What?

Do you know what follows behind a comet? Elenin doesnt need to come close to us itself to cause problems, and even the experts are limited to how much they can find out, they are also forever changing the trajectories of comets aswell, just because something is 1km today, might be 2km tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I made a thread about Comet Elenin here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sheesh

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grindhouzer
Thats assuming that it is only 4km diameter and we havnt been lied too...
Plus what about comet HONDA passing by around he exact same time...
that photo of elenin looks like a craft or something..??
edit on 30-3-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

Yeah HONDA could pose a real problem if it hit Earth, because everyone knows HONDAS go much Faster...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join