It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU raises ``safe level`` of caesium in food by 20 times!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
In German

Berlin/München. Die Verbraucherorganisation foodwatch und das Umweltinstitut München e.V. haben die Informationspolitik der Bundesregierung über die Lebensmittelsicherheit nach der Reaktorkatastrophe in Japan kritisiert. Bundesverbraucherministerin Ilse Aigner verweist seit Tagen auf „verstärkte Kontrollmaßnahmen“ und „spezielle Schutzstandards“ – sie informiert die Öffentlichkeit jedoch nicht darüber, dass die EU-weit geltenden Grenzwerte für die radioaktive Belastung von Lebensmitteln aus den betroffenen Regionen Japans am vergangenen Wochenende deutlich erhöht wurden. War bisher eine kumulierte Radioaktivität von Cäsium-134 und Cäsium-137 von maximal 600 Becquerel/Kilogramm zulässig, traten am vergangenen Wochenende bis zu 20-fach höhere Obergrenzen von bis zu 12.500 Becquerel/Kilogramm für bestimmte Produkte aus Japan in Kraft.

In english from google translate

Berlin / Munich. The consumer organization foodwatch and the Environment Institute Munich eV have criticized the information policy of the federal government on food safety after the nuclear disaster in Japan. Federal Consumer Protection Minister Ilse Aigner as in days of "enhanced control measures" and "special protection standards " - it informs the public but not the fact that the EU-wide limit values ​​for the radioactive contamination of foodstuffs from the affected areas in Japan increased over the weekend clear. Was previously a cumulative radioactivity of cesium-134 were cesium-137 and allowed maximum of 600 becquerels per kilogram, this past weekend up to 20 times higher ceilings of up to 12,500 becquerels per kilogram for certain products in Japan in force.

Caesium-134 has a half-life of 2 years.
Caesium-137 has a half-life of 30 years.

From wiki :

Caesium-137 is water-soluble, and the biological behavior of caesium is similar to that of potassium and rubidium. After entering the body, caesium gets more or less uniformly distributed through the body, with higher concentration in muscle tissues and lower in bones. The biological half-life of caesium is rather short at about 70 days.[6] Experiments with dogs showed that a single dose of 3800 μCi/kg (approx. 44 μg/kg of caesium-137) is lethal within three weeks.[7]

Accidental ingestion of caesium-137 can be treated with the chemical Prussian blue, which binds to it chemically and then speeds its expulsion from the body.[8]

And of course, it makes the rates of cancer skyrocket but not only cancer, caesium 137 can give you lots of diseases, even a heart attack if it reaches the heart. And of course, if you are affected by caesium and you die of a heart attack, nobody will think otherwise.

It's what's most left at Chernobyl. And caesium 137 isn't naturally occurring.

Eat caesium! It's good for you! Eh, doesn't matter that it'll stay in your body for about 70 days, emitting radiation, and it doesn't exist in nature...
edit on 29-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
My advice to everyone is to take as many vitamins and supplements as possible, and to be as healthy as possible. The Government isn't going to protect or help you.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

1 Bq = 2.70×10−5 μCi

so ...

12,500 bq = 12,500(2.70x10^-5) μCi

I arrive at 0.3375 μCi ... amiright?

1 μCi = 37,000 Bq

So 3800 μCi/kg (safe level) = 3800 x 37,000 Bq or 140,600,000 Bq

So 12,500 Bq is a far less concerning figure than meets the eye at first glance.

Still, good spot.

edit on 29-3-2011 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
So, this makes Japan, the US (with the EPA) and now the EU, all raising the "safe levels" of radioactive materials, since the Japanese quake occurred.

Something smells funny, and it sure ain't all the dead fish washing up on shore...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BunnyBeHoppy

My advice is to eat healthy fruits and vegtables full of naturally occuring vatamins, has the added benefit of fibre in the body as well.

Why are people so pre occupied with suppliments?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

huh?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I am glad you found this !
and wanted to add my 2 cents on the benefits of msm,( not the news chanel)

organic sulfur, I cant spell the long name, lol, but it makes your cells more permeable and releases toxins even in the liver, in fact i read a study once that some degrees of liver damage can be cured by using it.
link to site that tells it all about msm www.msm-info.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by infojunkie2

It reads clear with the second portion of that included.
2nd

top topics

join