It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Preparedness Plan

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Red Dawn, I love that movie... although I think for me it's more of a movie where I like 3/4ths of it, and lose intrest near the end.

I've been collecting gear since 1997, just incase.
(NOT food mind you, lol)

Walther PPK .32 Cal w/ 4,500 rds
Cold Steel Kukri
Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto w/ half serrations
Police Extendable Baton
Marlin .22cal rifle w/ 12,500 rds
10x50 Binoculars
(6) 2 Way Radios with 14mile range
Fishing Kit (for fresh or salt water)
(10) bottles of water purification tablets
(2) clean water straws w/ built in filters
(4) G.I. Deoderant tubs (lasts 7 days per 1 time application)
(2) 18x12 tents
(3) pair of Nike Shox Shoes (various styles)
(2) pr boots w/ 12pr waterproof socks
(2) mosquito proof hammocks
(5) small foldable "stoves" with 45 tablets per.
(2) Hatchets (one with a long handle)
(1) saw in a can
(2) rolls of 500ft rope w/ 700lb weight limit
(3) spools of 60lb SpiderWire fishing line

That's off the top of my head, there are the backpacks, and sleeping cots, etc but I'd have to go through it to tell you every piece.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
From a female perspective the packing list is a bit more limited. We can't carry quite as much (even us amazons have limits) and assuming that a woman finds herself on her own...

One thing no one's mentioned (on accounta mostly being men I guess
) is birth control. That should be a staple in all women's survival packs...unless they're full blown menopausal.

Crap happens...consenting or not. The last thing anyone needs is a pregnancy during times of such danger. Condoms should also be considered a MUST - do you really wannt to survive a nuclear war only to die of syphilis or worse AIDS?

Most doctors will gladly write a Rx for BC pills or patches for emergencies. The standard dose BC can be used as Morning after as well. (ONLY if taken at least three days after) a couple of months worth (or more I suppose if you have a partner) is a darn good idea.

There are other things we ladies need to consider as well... yes that "dreaded" damn topic doesn't go away just because of nuclear war or natural disaster...LOL

Menstruation -
- tampons are breeders of serious bacteria. TSS is a toxin that can build up in the system over time. In times where it is impossible to ensure hands are always clean and that changing it every four hours is likely not possible (not practical)...it's not recommended to use tampons. Besides which, stress worry, fatigue,puts additional strains on the immune system (as does menstruation itself) so it's opening yourself up to possible serious infection. TSS can kill and it's not pleasant.

Cotton diapers. Cut to size, can be layered to provide good protection. Easy to wash up, dry quickly and can be compacted for easy packing.

That and the carrying weight of survival packs is about the only main differences.

So now that's out there we never have to bring it up again.

My apologies to the guys...but it had to be said.

(How did I know DE would have a smarty pants comment - see there's always a positive to be found in any negative)

[edit on 10/17/2006 by justgeneric]

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well, JG, good news:

In times of extreme stress, less than stellar eating, and more physical work than you can handle...well, you'll prolly end up missing a few periods.

DE

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Heh, this is an "interesting" thread, to say the least...

While I doubt that starchild actually has all of that equipment (c4?
), I know that even if he did, it would be quite useless in any survival situation. I think that people who are stockpiling lots of weapons have some kind of ego/paranoia problem, and certainly aren't really thinking about survival. Defcon is closer to the mark, imo, in this argument.

There's no way you're going to be hiking through the city, carrying several heavy weapons, ammo, etc, and be able to get out without being shot, or breaking down out of sheer exhaustion. It may help you survive for a while if you hold out in your home, and plan on defending the castle, but someone will get you, if you are in a city. It doesn't matter if you're walking around with a missile launcher, as soon as you start firing that stuff off, people will come in from all directions, kill you, and steal your stuff. I'm not in a big city, so I wouldn't have to worry about the guns as much, but I'm surprised you that are in a big city haven't yet mentioned a bullet proof vest...you will need it if you plan on making it out alive with all of those weapons.

Surely more important than firepower in the longterm, is knowledge. For a while, your guns might help you survive, loot, etc, to get what you need...but if you really have to survive up in the mountains, desert, anywhere, you have to know how to naturally build shelters, find food, stay hidden, and hopefully get to a safe zone. For anyone in the United States, that would probably be in Canada or Mexico somewhere if it came to war...

The issue of transportation from your area of crisis to a safe area, is the most important thing to plan out, imo. If you can't make it that far, you won't make it at all. If you live in a big city, how do you plan to get out? Certainly walking or biking would work, but it might not be fast enough, and you could easily be taken out by someone in that time. Driving would be out of the question, although perhaps a motorcycle would allow you to maneuver through the traffic jams, but once again, you would be a target. I don't live in a big city, so it would be easy to disappear on foot, bike, or even driving country/off road. But, maybe the best thing for those in the city would be to hide out for a couple weeks in some hidden/underground shelter, wait out the inital chaos, then assess the situation, and leave at that time. Of course this depends entirely on the situation.

If you live near water, then using transportation by water would probably be a smart move. Delta said he could be at the coast. It would be pretty easy to keep an ocean kayak hidden or stored somewhere along the beach and quietly work your way down the coast in the evenings when no one will see you. Or if you have the money, a high-powered boat or jet ski to just get the hell out. This would be a good way for anyone in cities on the coast, or near the great lakes to get up to Canada, or down to Mexico. Water would be much safer than land, as most people won't have access to that kind of transportation...those that do usually have a good amount of money, and would be less likely to rob you.

For me, a mountain bike would probably be the most covert, quick, reliable transportation, and wouldn't require any fuel. (Or if it's windy, I could kiteboard
) I live in the plains, so it would be no problem biking off road, away from the main arteries of traffic, avoiding those who would attack. If you plan on taking a car/motorcycle you better be able to get to where you need to be on one tank of gas, or have plenty of extra gas stored in the vehicle.

I just think knowledge and experience are the most important, as well as having a plan. You can have all the gear in the world, but it can't make up for those 3 things. If it comes down to it, you should be able to survive with a good knife, blanket, water bottle, and a few other supplies. Because no matter how much food or ammo or water you pack, eventually you will have to get it on your own, so you better know how.

One more thing that nobody mentioned, is physical fitness. If you are someone who does nothing but sit around, gets no exercise, never goes outside...how do you plan on surviving in a situation where you will need to be moving for 12-18 hours out of the day? Once again, it won't matter how many guns you pack if you can't even bear the weight of the metal. If I can pack a few necessary supplies, cover 60 miles a day covertly via mountain bike (needing no fuel), I will be a lot better off than some out of shape "commando" driving around in his range rover with one tank of gas and an arsenal of weapons.

Another thing that should be more of a concern is weather. If you are in the pacific northwest in the middle of the winter and the apocalypse hits, how are you going to survive? Fire building skills need to be top notch using natural materials, and you need warm clothes and blankets. One of those "frigid" sleeping bags that goes down to -20 degrees would be a good idea. Fire works, but easily gives away your position if you are in the woods. You also better have a good way to hunt animals, or ice fish, because those will be your only food sources in the winter, and can be difficult to figure out. This is also another good reason why not to "head north", as if you were able to make it down to south america, the climate is a lot more acceptable than somewhere in the canadian wilderness during the winter. Although if you do really know what you're doing in a winter environment, you could probably avoid contact with other "survivors" by heading into the mountains and hiding out I guess..

A hidden, pre-built underground hideout in the wilderness would be a great way to avoid robbers/killers in a time of chaos. Also, in the wilderness, if you could construct one, or perhaps inside of a large tree which are quite common on the west coast. Last but not least, make sure you can navigate according to sun, stars, plants, maps and compass...and have a radio in order to see what's going on "out there" when you're hiding out on your own in the woods...solar/manual powered and waterproof of course.

Anyway, I'm not really someone who is paranoid about these types of things like some of you are...but just offering some suggestions for you to consider after reading your "plans" which don't really seem to have much "planning" at all, more like stashing weapons for some strange reason. Yea, there's a guy in my neighborhood who has about 18 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammo, and quite a nutjob. He might be able to hold out in his house for a bit if he comes under attack from some small invading army
, but in a "survival" situation, he wouldn't last longer than the ammo/food in his house. Good thing I am friends with his son if the # ever really hits the fan...

[edit on 28-10-2006 by Shoktek]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I think a packing list and supplies need to be tailored to where you live. not just geographically.

if you live in a city. you will have a much different survival dynamic than if you live on a 4500 acre ranch ( sorry i live in Texas) also, I live in houston, not a place that i want to be when society decays. the problem is that as refugees move away from cities the small close nit communities will be saturated and the locals will be hard to trust and to gain there trust.

any ideas on what to do about that?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
trust no one! every sitx requires different planning. alot of planning should be focused around the area you live in. think goodness i am not in a big city. for me to bug out would only be a short drive or a hour hike. one item i do like for survival is the cross bow. a cross bow with 100lb pull is very deadly for people and all kinds of game. arrows are fairly cheap to stock up on and could easily be made in the woods. the best part is the cross bow is silent compared to a rifle. but at the start the rifle is my best friend but considered disposable if need be.
rod and reel,cheap and maybe a life saver. i went to wal mart and bought 3 more today 10.00 each, extra hooks and weights, line. some older man asked if we were going camping i said yes while laughing on the inside (if he only knew) maybe i will never need this, but its cheap and you dont have to feed it. you can eat fish all day and have small game every now and then you should be ok right?

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I know i am going to sound like a nut, but hey ATS is the place for that right.

if you read the book : The Zombie Handbook... It actually has a pretty good base for a bug out plan and preparedness... just replace zombie with any of the possible threats to your personal safety in a X situation.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Good posts here, StarChild's hearts in the right place and I don't think he's a gun nut.
A gun nut is someone who stockpiles for the sake of it.
I think Survivalism is too much of a dirty word for the touchy feely, liberal-types to understand fully.
He's already stated he knows he's got more weaponry than needed. He's likely got the extra for his militia group/inner circle to use.
If I was him and TSHTF I'd welcome trusted people and friends in, as long as they brought plenty of supplies and gear with them.

Explosives

Explosives are a funny one. Good for using as a shaped charge and breaching a hardened bunker, but considered more of an offensive, raiding weapon than a defensive one by most folk. Yes I know you could set them up to be Anti-pers. but even so.
Just after 9/11 my bro (still in the forces. R.E) actually overreacted and got some PE4 (complete with det cord, detonators the whole shootin' match) and stored it in the family loft!
At the time 9/11 had kicked off and I think he'd just grabbed some for the hell of it.
Although they are quite long lasting (these days) they do degrade slowly and lose their stability. I'd have nightmares of one day coming back home and finding the place with the roof blown off and surrounded by cops!
I suggested to my bro that it was time to get rid of it or bury it someplace safe. Opting for the former we dispersed it (scattered it into crumbs over a wide area).

This aside...

I think what people don't realise that when TSHTF a lot of us will be meeting up at places to team up into smallish groups for better protection.
Yet Defcon isn't really that foolish. He's got the other end of the scale pretty much sussed. That's mobility and self-sufficiency.

For me and plenty others don't have the fortress locations some guys do so it's a case of getting to a 'safe' or 'safer' zone in the boonies.
I'm from the UK and life near the coast so depending on the location I'll be heading out either further inland, or across to Ireland where I can (hopefully) count on relatives.

As far as my weaponry / gear goes it'll be:
A crossbow and about fifteen bolts
A couple of knifes (Kukri and Fairbourne Sykes)
CS Gas canister.
9mm browning, but it's only a blank firer so I'm 50/50 on taking it
Bug-Out Bag.
A whole lotta luck and prayin'!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Wow.. This is what the goverment actually wants us to do. To trust nobody, because the world would be too unsafe to trust anybody. So what you end up doing is killing off each other narrowing down the population. So the government could have a better grasp to control us.

Here's something we all should do.
Fight back the goverment without the use of weapons and strive to work together. The people from the government are everyday joes like us except twisted.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Shrukin89]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
How do you plan on doing that exactly?
If an emergency breaks out what you've suggested will be the last thing on their mind

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
girls dont forget your moon cups......mooncup.co.uk, no need for toxic shock.
m x

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Just decided to resurrect this thread and see what the current crop of survivalists make of it

I think it should be nominated as one of the legendary threads of ATS

Star Child and his arsenal that would rival David Koresh's small army!
Defcon (Star Buck) duelin' about the max vs minimalist approach.
Gun shy Brits goggle eyed in amazement and much more.
Deux Ex gives his tactical buzz on heroic gunplay and much more

You could probably write a book on this!

Anyway to those who haven't read this thread I suggest you give it a read, it's enjoyable and worth a chuckle.
I told my mate about this and he refused to believe it was possible, even for america, lol. How little he knows of the place...
Star Child you are an ATS Legend.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by WatchRider]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

I wonder who has the warehouse of all the TP

Leaves suck
this brings up a question,.
What would you trade for TP?

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by StarChild

WOW I cannot believe I missed this topic.
Do you really have all of that armament, and do you live inside of the US?
I am almost impressed, it seems you do not have a nuke.

1 question, do you have anyone to watch you equipment while you sleep?
In a SHTF situation anyway.
Ok all joking aside, pics or it's all talk.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by StarChild

WOW I cannot believe I missed this topic.
Do you really have all of that armament, and do you live inside of the US?
I am almost impressed, it seems you do not have a nuke.

1 question, do you have anyone to watch you equipment while you sleep?
In a SHTF situation anyway.
Ok all joking aside, pics or it's all talk.

I was thinking the same.
Actually I think he probably does have the weapons and catches, but if he posts pics of the explosives he could be opening himself for heat from the Feds.
I think he's part of militia network so maybe is busy getting them trained up for the apocalypse

He hasn't signed in for about 8 months...
Will be interesting to see what his response is to that

C'mon SC, when you get this, pics or it didn't happen
LOL.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by WatchRider]

[edit on 8-8-2010 by WatchRider]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Are you kidding? Dude put his end of the world shopping list in print on a public, forum that alone is enough to have him shipped off to the Guantanamo Hilton.
Hmmm wait, 8 months and no sign in?
He may be there as we speak!!!
By the way, in my survival kit I have a piece of fishing line and children’s scissors so I can run with them in hand.
That is all I have just in case any of the alphabet orgs are watching this.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by StarChild

is 'survivalism' 2012-type marketing? could this be the real reason behind fear-mongering?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Are you kidding? Dude put his end of the world shopping list in print on a public, forum that alone is enough to have him shipped off to the Guantanamo Hilton.
Hmmm wait, 8 months and no sign in?
He may be there as we speak!!!
By the way, in my survival kit I have a piece of fishing line and children’s scissors so I can run with them in hand.
That is all I have just in case any of the alphabet orgs are watching this.

LOL.
I think you are falling for the scaremongering.
If SC was in the slammer it would be headline news of his arrest, much like the militia arrests in Michigan / Illinois were big news at the time

Some people don't care what others think or percieve.
The chances are, if he's genuine, he'd of used public internet ip address like a net cafe etc.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's been a few years since the last time and I'm giving this thread a right royal bump into the top to see what folk make of it....

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join