It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn, my favorite planet. Other than Earth, of course. An Amazing flyby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
NO CGI here.

It's made up of all real image data.
And shown in a short movie format.
Part of a larger project called "Outside in"
www.outsideinthemovie.com...
Great imagery.

Watch it here
apod.nasa.gov...

It like you're there, on approach

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This really says a bit about 'scale', that NASA isn't worried about crossing through the rings. But I thought the rings could consist of debris as tiny as sand and traveling in orbit much faster than LEO could be catastrophic to the space craft if even a spec collides. I understand up to 40,000 mph, (I would imagine the outer rings orbital speed).

My simple math calculation of Saturn's equatorial orbital speed is just under 23,000 mph, but somehow that doesn't seem really that fast with a 10 hour and 14 minute day, (sort of at the equator), if there was any ground you could stand on. Saturn; the most distorted equatorial bulge in the solar system.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Nice pictures

Just a quick comment about the rings based on the previous post. I don't know the speed of the rings, but I'll trust your numbers, as they seem in the right neighbourhood. While the rings of Saturn look dense, the pieces that comprise it are actually hundreds of miles apart or more, so the odds of getting hit by something are extremely low. If something did hit, there'd definitely be damage, though. It would be like dropping a missile somewhere on New York State at random and hoping to hit one specific dime dead on. You might hit it, but you probably won't.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
the guy putting this project together is doing it all on his own.
Frame by Frame, piece by piece. To eventually produce an Imax movie.

The ring plane crossing was at a very specific low density area, as far as I remember.
IT produced the only series of major close ups of the structures so far.
The is besides the other near flybys.

From the Outside In Website

Outside In is a non-profit giant-screen art film that takes audiences on a journey of the mind, heart and spirit from the big bang to the near future via the Cassini-Huygens Mission at Saturn.

Composed entirely of still photographs using innovative visual techniques developed by the filmmaker, Outside In stretches the boundaries of the motion picture form. The film will feature powerful music by Ferry Corsten, William Orbit, Samuel Barber and melds non-narrative visual poetry & science documentary into a rich experience for audiences.

Outside In is a film that’s both personal and universal, experimental and sincere, science and spirit , non-narrative and documentary. The goal is to use large screen imagery, synchronized to powerful but moving music, to create an experience for those who see it, hear it and feel it.

Using hundreds of thousands of still images manipulated to create full motion, using “2.75D” photographic fly-through technology. The film will be presented in IMAX quality 5.6K resolution on massive screens and concert-level surround systems with a synchronized light show to audiences in planetariums, museums, galleries and limited IMAX release.

www.outsideinthemovie.com...
edit on 26-3-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Watch it here
apod.nasa.gov...
For some reason I couldn't get it to play from the NASA site with firefox or IE, but I then searched and found a file on youtube of the same name, hopefully this is it:

In case anyone else has trouble playing it from NASA there it is, the youtube version played fine for me.

Originally posted by spacedoubt
The ring plane crossing was at a very specific low density area, as far as I remember.
Yes, it actually looks like it's flying between a gap in the rings, which is what it did:

solarsystem.nasa.gov...

To enter Saturn's orbit, Cassini flew through the gap between the F and G rings, which is farther from the planet than the Cassini Division. As a safety measure, during the crossing of the ring plane, instruments and cameras onboard the spacecraft were shut off temporarily. However, the spectacular crossing into Saturn's orbit brought incredible information, images and footage.
I remember seeing the rings of Saturn through my 3" reflector telescope when I was a child. That was cool, but this view is a whole lot better.
Amazing!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks a lot for adding another source!
I sometimes had trouble with my original link too. Terrible buffering, but other times it worked fine.

Make sure you watch in 1080p if you can. Full screen mode.
Again, thanks. I hope a lot of people see it!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I used to have trouble with some movie files and especially animated gif files with Safari browser, I used to use Netscape as the primary gif and movie loader to my host site to then link to a football forum for us to discuss. I find Safari to be one of the worst browsers for motion graphics and it also accumulates unnecessarily large amounts of operating memory usage, and the longer you run it the more it accumulates. Firefox should be more stable, I haven't used IE in years. For instance Safari is using 1.65 GBs now, more than Photoshop is currently using, but less than Twain Bridge and Eye TV, currently both using 2.85 GB Virtual Memory, but is second to Eye TV in Real Memory at nearly 300 MB, Eye TV is using 1.6-1.7 GB of Real Memory to run.

Does anyone else find it fascinating NASA has such navigational control of a craft that can be over 100 light minutes away, and hit the F ring cleanly?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Does anyone else find it fascinating NASA has such navigational control of a craft that can be over 100 light minutes away, and hit the F ring cleanly?
I'm impressed by that.

And I can't understand why the "electric universe" folks aren't equally impressed with such precise gravitational calculations and spacecraft maneuvers which match projected trajectories so well. NASA didn't hit the tiny gap in those rings over a hundred million miles away by using electric universe theory!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I could be way off in my understanding of the Electric Universe community, but to a layman like me, it seems they want something to fill the void of dark energy interpretations, that mainstream scientist's don't feel they have enough data to support.

There always seems to be someone 'smarter' these days, and now I read a 12-year old is the latest Einstein, where William Sidis failed, or 'burnt out' due to his high IQ. (Sorry can't lend an immediate link to this 12-year-old, it's on one or more ATS threads in Science and Technology).

A fascinating read Sidis's 'The Animate and the Inanimate' theory, but flawed with what we know today, as this 12-year-old so-called theories will prove to be. Still an interesting read.

sidis.net...

top topics

join