It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
this is becoming a VERY ineresting thread
a pattern is forming

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by arrus75

Thats why I only use true Engineers compasses. No bells and whistles to throw things off.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I found this possibly related article.......

March 15, 2011 - When Tampa International Airport (TPA) shut down its primary runway in early January to repaint the numeric designators at each end, and change the taxiway signage, the reason for the closure set off a maelstrom of press coverage. As a result of the movement of the magnetic north pole, runway 18R/36L no longer aligned along the 180-degree/0-degree north-south axis. When the runway reopened, it had been repainted 19R/1L to more accurately reflect its magnetic directions. More than 140 signs and panels had to be changed, as well as the painted numerals on the runways. Later in the month, a lesser-used, parallel runway and an east-west runway were also changed.

What the news media grabbed onto was something well known to pilots and navigators: the earth’s magnetic field is changing. Magnetic north is distinct from the geographic North Pole, of course, but magnetic north is proving to be an increasingly moving target. At the moment, it’s sliding across the Arctic Ocean near Canada toward Siberia at a rate of nearly 40 miles per year. According the U.S. Geological Survey, that speed has increased by 36 percent over the last 10 years.

For Emphasis:

At the moment, it’s sliding across the Arctic Ocean near Canada toward Siberia at a rate of nearly 40 miles per year. According the U.S. Geological Survey, that speed has increased by 36 percent over the last 10 years.

Full Article Here

This article does help explain and substantiate this thread. However, The people reporting (myself included) North showing more east, are showing readings that are more off than what this article reports. Is it possible that the shifting is speeding up??
edit on 3/19/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Mine's reading fine here here in NE Louisiana, as well.

link   
I'm in northeast Ohio my reading is 10 degrees off from true north. Meaning magnetic north is 10 degrees away from it should be so not as strong as the others have said. I think it would be good to get exact measures and we can then see exactly how strong off the magnetic north is etc in each given location.

link   
Very interesting development...I'm wondering if there were any solar flares due to hit recently?....or maybe the magnetic field of the earth is twisted up (as can be seen with some magnetic field maps)...weird, makes me wonder if things are gearing up for a magnetic polar reversal after all....

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
we need an updated map
please

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Just went outside, mine is pulling East as well. Saskatchewan Canada here.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
lol well perhaps its a new electromagnetic field there to protect you then. Or the air has become charged by a natural disaster... Are you trying to scare ppl??? Or give away secrets???

Trying to scare people? Giving away secrets? Whatever you're smoking, please share.

This is called "Sharing credible information" and "researching collaboratively with others".

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
lol well perhaps its a new electromagnetic field there to protect you then. Or the air has become charged by a natural disaster... Are you trying to scare ppl??? Or give away secrets???

What do you mean?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I made this, problem is...the earthquake data is from January.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54a9331d2787.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Just found this...its from Faux News, but very relevant......

Ordinary Compasses Thrown Off by Changes in Earth's Magnetic Field

By Loren Grush
Published February 25, 2011
| FoxNews.com

The Earth's magnetic field is changing at an increasing rate, throwing off airports and altering the aurora borealis -- and its effect on ordinary compasses could mean the difference between homeward bound and hopelessly lost. Earth’s northernmost magnetic point -- or magnetic north -- is distinct from its geographic North Pole, and scientists have long known that the magnetic poles are on the move.

Full Article

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Just down loaded the compass app on my droid and its all mixed up.

SW is in the NW and the pointer is all mixed up moving everywhere... IDK what the frick it means?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51
this is becoming a VERY ineresting thread
a pattern is forming

yes i am going to be watching this like a hawk, maybe if we can get reading from more places than the u.s., just to see if it is a regional or something that gives a bigger picture.

sorry i cannot help i don't have a compass. but it would be interesting to see how far afield is getting strange readings.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Compared the smartphone app to a real compass and both show the same.
around 20 degrees off the position where i think north should be.
Using Google Maps as orientation the needle should point towards my
monitor, that is also the position i remember it pointed a while ago.
But now it points 1 meter to the right of it.
Strange.

Location is Germany.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by goochball

this is creepy...kinda. the same pattern is developing on compass readings now
hmmmm

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I don't use my compass alot, but I did 3 years ago when we bought our new home and it had a balcony to the south.
For the fun of it I checked with a compass to see if it was exactly south and it turned out it was.
I haven't used a compass since but when I read this thread I downloaded and turned on a free compass android app on my smartphone (couldn't find my real compass at the moment) and went to see if it was still exactly south.

To my astonishment it was now slighly south-south west!
And when I turned the other way facing north it was slightly north-north west.
You others here say your north is slightly to the east.
I don't know what to make of this.
Maybe bad app, maybe you are on to something.
I am in Sweden, Europe by the way.

link   
reply to post by antibyte

Theres one false reading from our friends in Europe....Please keep the readings coming from across the big ponds!

link   
Magnetized pin floating on toothpicks show that mine is just right. I am also in Calif ( about half way between UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Now if we can get some readings from LA, MS, TN, KY, IN, IL, MO, AR,

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antibyte

Apparently...a bigger map may be required

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join