It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compasses going crazy...Theories and Research

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It's interesting to hear so many people having the same problem, but my compass is working fine and I'm in Virginia. It is a compass on a smartphone, though.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Please feel free to keep adding to this, or by all means if one is so inclined to make a more detailed map I encourage one to do so. My senses are tingling with New Madrid vibes...and the initial mapping, if I'm not mistaken is starting to take on the general area of that fault system, more so with the addition of the Minnesota poster.

Interesting indeed.
edit on 3/19/2011 by UberL33t because: correction

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by killuminati2012
It's interesting to hear so many people having the same problem, but my compass is working fine and I'm in Virginia. It is a compass on a smartphone, though.

Smartphones are a computer, so you can program the computer to tell you which way is north.

We need regular needle compasses that we can manually tell.

The map is very useful, it seems to be on the east that we are noticing the most weirdness.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
lol well perhaps its a new electromagnetic field there to protect you then. Or the air has become charged by a natural disaster... Are you trying to scare ppl??? Or give away secrets???

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

Sorry to burst your bubble but even my kids know how to read a compass and we are a military family and my husband has been WELL trained in how to use a compass, showed us many years ago and we use them regularly to "treasure hunt" on GeoCaching trips. So there goes your theory.

Oh yea I forgot to mention, don't forget for the other North Carolinians that we just had 2 EQ's just south of Asheville this past week within a 9 hour period. Not sure this has anything to do with this, but we don't get a lot of EQ's out this far east and usually not 2 that close toether. I also started a thread about East Coast dogs/cats in the fragile earth thread because my dog has been going nuts the last week or so.

edit on 19-3-2011 by watchdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Okay, I took the responses so far that were in the US. The Red is the compasses where North is off and appears East, and the Green are compasses that are true North. Maybe a pattern forming

There was just a thread created about minor quakes starting from the northern end of the New Madrid and hooking left toward Texas and New Mexico and these plots seem to follow that general shape, certainly something to take in to consideration, I will edit this and add a link to that thread ASAP...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Hawking because: LINK

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I am in Arkansas and my compass instead of pointing to what use to be north it is now half way between North and East. So what use to be North is now Northeast. I mean when they have to go as far as changing the Run Way numbers at Airports, Something is happening forsure. We can already see what it is doing with the animals, how will it effect humans? If it starts going crazy of course about a third of the world is going crazy right now.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

How messed up does sh*t have to be that we get this information on ATS? No media coverage, no science updates, no government warnings, it's fuc*ing ridiculous! The closest we've had to real news on this was a page twelve article about moving runways at an airport in Florida followed by the usual "perfectly normal, nothing to see here" nonsense.
The Moon is out of whack, the poles are out of whack, the Sun is having a connip# and we're all worried about radiation floating over from freakin' China????
COME ON.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by killuminati2012

Then it's not a true compass, it's an app.
Doesn't count.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
For whatever it's worth, the earth just took a 9.0 a week ago, so I'm thinking other variables may be at work besides a regular pole shift effect. The pole swings back and forth a bit each day, but maybe it's something else like actually slightly changing the shape of the earth and/or it's axis. I'm pretty sure a 10.0 would rip up continents, so a 9.0 would ...did cause a lot of damage. Maybe it's not related, but something to consider.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Just for fun i made a compass out of a needle and cork like the video and it matches up to my compass perfectly. Both facing north . I'm in Nebraska.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I had a gut feeling that there was something going on. Reading these replies has confirmed my feelings. Can anyone create an overlay map to show the false compass readings in comparison to quake activity in the New Madrid/Mid-Atlantic fault systems?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

This SITE supposedly shows the current magnetic north for your location

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
So does this mean Santa has actually found new digs in the east - Taking advantage of the real estate market in NY. I'm going to check out 34th St. tomorrow!.....j/k hope you guys figure this out soon. I don't own a compass but I want to go buy one.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I agree. I am looking at the USGS map of EQ's 1.0 mag and up. If you look, there was 1 EQ in Alabama today and a report of a false reading. We have 2 in NC this week and reports of false reading. We have 1 EQ on the Ohio/PA border and a false reading in PA. Lots of EQ's in AR and a report of a false reading again. Hmmmm? Quite the conumdrum (sp?).

Oh and 2 EQ's in Texas in the last 24-48 hours with one false reading and one true reading. Also an area although not unheard of to have an EQ, but 2 in this short amount of time period I would say is uncommon.

edit on 19-3-2011 by watchdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirKnightE

This SITE supposedly shows the current magnetic north for your location

Supposedly is correct. Heres what it "computed" for my location:

Declination = 11° 28' W changing by 0° 0' E/year

Yeah.....even thats wrong.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This is a very good articile that someone did some great research on.

Some hypotheses suggest that the effects of the pole reversal may have terrible consequences in a short period, and others predict that it may be more gentle and take more than a hundred years, if it happens over a longer period. Since human beings have never been through a pole shift that they know of in our recorded history, no one really knows how a pole shift is going to work or what the results will be. Geophysicist Rob Coe of the University of California at Santa Cruz, may have however found a lava record in Oregon that charts magnetic mayhem that ensued during a previous period of reversal. Without a doubt GPS satellite and navigation systems all over the planet would become chaotic.

I think that possibly the worst outcome predicted as a hypothetical possibility that I have read, is that the geomagnetic force and consequently the protective magnetosphere breaks up into multiple haphazard poles or even ceases to exist altogether for a period of time and the sun's radiation, solar winds and cosmic rays have no obstacle to shield them from reaching some parts of the planet, causing the surface of the Earth to possibly become temporarily uninhabitable. Without this protection hypothetically many plants might not be able to grow, animals could die, and so possibly could any humans who were left on the surface. Let’s hope that these hypothetical worst case scenarios are wrong, if however they turn out to be right then those old mines, underground caves and railway lines and nuclear bunkers may come in very handy.

Articile Link:

www.science20.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
My compass is reading correct. I am in central Tx.

link   

edit on 19-3-2011 by toolstarr because: double post

link   
Went and checked mine...South Western Ontario (I'm a bit of a compulsive compass collector and always have one at hand)....mine's pointing to where it should be...

Keep in mind, don't take compass readings in your house ..the electrical wiring, TVs etc can mess with the readings...also, I've noticed, among my many compasses, any compass with a built in flashlight or other battery operated option ( or metal parts for that matter ) can also mess up the reading.
edit on 19-3-2011 by arrus75 because: grammar

edit on 19-3-2011 by arrus75 because: grammar

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join