It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Rainbows May Predict Earthquakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have been on many threads recently regarding the Japan earthquake. One of the things that I find myself posting about often are earthquake lights or 'earthquake rainbows'. I have see these lights myself here in Southern California. When I saw them it was mid-day last summer. I was able to get family on the phone from 10 miles east of my location to help corroborate what I was seeing. I was only able to find one picture on the web and it was taken from downtown San Diego. I have also seen other strange daytime light effects closer to the ocean as I worked on the West side of L.A. for years. I am sure that all of you have seen numerous videos of this effect. I have collected them here in the hopes that others will share their anecdotes, pictures or video.
As we approach the SuperMoon and Jim Berklands prediction for an earthquake on the 19th I for one will be carrying a pocket video camera and I will be watching the skies for these strange light displays. I personally believe that they must have something to do with geomagnetic activity but I am open to all possibilities.

Earthquake Rainbows in China?

More from China...

This is from Chile 2010...Whatever with the HAARP thing I just wanted to show the lights...

This video offers an explanation of why it happens...

And here is an oddball of a video that I found. This does seem to show the effect in question. I don't know if there was any earthquake worth mentioning after this vid was taken

And I will stop there. So what do you all think. I have seen a video that was taken just a couple of days prior to the Japan quake that seems to show a 'UFO' fleet in the sky. I actually think that what is recorded in the video has to do with the same thing that is causing these rainbows. Some kind of 'earth-force' or geomagnetic activity.
Here is the video...

edit on 17-3-2011 by Frater210 because: A little punct and spelling

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
weeeeiiiiiiirrrrrd

Flag's

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
how can a rainbow predict an earthquake?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I don't get. Why don't scientists actually investigate these phenomenal instead of dismissing them? Its not going to hurt anyone...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
One of the videos says that these lights have shown up for decades?...
Not sure where one could corroborate such speak.
Also, just for discussion, let us say these lights have been seen for about 50 years and only in that time frame.
Does that mean these lights are manmade?...I'd say yes. HAARP perhaps?..
Some other evil technology?...What better way to reduce the American Debt than by destroying other nations infrastructure and demographic stability.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

I have also written about these and take pictures of them in Northern California as recently as the day after the Japan quake.

I personally believe this to be the scientific explanation (my own):

The many layers of rock in the earth contain several rare earth minerals that are highly magnetic. As the friction from the movement of the plates happens at a certain speed (fairly rapidly in order to generate high enough frequencies), that friction causes the metallic elements in the earth to create a moving charge, which in turn, generates a magnetic field. Given the enormous amount of energy used to make tectonic plates move even a tiny fraction, this energy and electric charge is strong enough to generate a field of magnetism that is able to distort light in the same way that a strong magnetic field interacts with moving energetic particles and creates "curtains of light". Most people are more familiar with this effect when talking about the Aurora Borealis. (Northern Lights) I certainly believe that is what we are seeing when this occurs, and doesn't always indicate an imminent quake, but I certainly believe indicates large movements at the faults.

This is just my opinion of course, but I have not heard a better explanation.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21
Also, just for discussion, let us say these lights have been seen for about 50 years and only in that time frame.
Does that mean these lights are manmade?...I'd say yes. HAARP perhaps?..

Earthquakes have long been accompanied by the appearance of "bright, luminescent, multicoloured sky glows" (Wagner, 1978) that can take place any time before, during, or after the seismological event. They've been recorded throughout history, but modern science has only started to take them seriously since the photographs of the Matsushiro earthquake lights taken by Yutaka Yasui between 1965 and 1967. There have since been extensive observations of several events, but the phenomenon currently remains unexplained.
source
Since HAARP wasn't in existence in the '60s, I'd say probably not.
I think it's definitely possible that these lights could be used to predict an earthquake, but probably not early enough to be of much benefit. It would be nice to see a study done, but I have no dea how anyonw would go about doing so, due to the unpredictability inherent in the subject.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The 'earthquake rainbow' seen before the Schezuan earthquake is called a circumhorizon arc. It is a perfectly natural, normal and somewhat common occurrence at the right latitudes.

I've seen and photographed 14 separate instances of CHAs in our area in the last three years. Never a jiggle, never a blip of an earthquake in our northern California area. They have NOTHING to do with earthquakes.

Just because something happens around the same time as something else is faulty logic. Look up 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' for a good definition of the fallacy.

This website does a great job of explaining the prismatic optics necessary for a sighting:

Circumhorizon arcs

Here's one of the better sightings I've made, the halo above it is a common 22° halo.

My local CHA

Here's a similar arc phenomenon that gets mistaken for earthquake clouds, a circumzenithal arc, always higher in the sky and the colors are reversed:

Circumzenith arc

Once you know what type of clouds tend to form these, at what time of day and where in the sky they form---I guarantee you will start seeing them more.
edit on 3/17/2011 by czygyny because: forgot important fact

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
What do double-rainbows predict then? Double-earthquakes? Maybe earthquakes followed by tsunamis. So was there a triple-rainbow somewhere out there that predicted the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown? I can imagine that there was one cranky leprechaun who lost a lot of gold that day.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
There's some awesome footage of flashing lights before the Chile earthquake last year (from the 1:20 mark)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alex1

Well, it wouldn't really predict the earthquake but it might be considered to be within a group of misunderstood phenomena that precede earthquakes. Kind of like nausea can be a precursor to throwing up. The nausea seems to predict the barfing but really does not. It is the difference between causation and correllation...
Speaking of stomache problems...check this out you will laugh your hiney off..

edit on 17-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

The word rainbow seems to be used because we lack a proper word for them. Rainbow-colored-sky-splashes might be more accurate. You can see from the videos that these do not take on the classic 'bowed' shape. Even weirder, huh?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Here is a link to the Huffington post. This is not about earthquake lights it is about fish. An 'earthquake' fish washed up in Malibu, California last Monday. In Japan these fish are considered predictors of earthquakes. I have posted this just to show that although we have no basis for causation there are all sorts of things like this that might be correllated with earthquakes. Sorry about the link. It is the only place I could find the story.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Hi guys, another rainbow clouds found over Everest
Link
edit on 17-3-2011 by RussianGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

They have names, and proven ways of being produced...ice crystals aound 20,000 feet up in the cirrus clouds, like millions of tiny prisms.

Once again, check these websites, they may open a whole new hobby for you...I know it did for me:

Atoptics Atmospheric Phenomena

Ice Crystal Halos

Here are the more photographic circumhorizon arcs I've snapped over the years.

My CHAs over the years

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

Thank you so much for the links and kind words. I have recently spent time at ContrailScience.Com and I learned a lot. I especially learned that the phenomenon that I have been referring to as Chemtrails for the last 13 years or so are not what I thought they were. It required that I study some books on clouds and how they form with a focus on slipstream clouds. Anyhow, I can totally see how it could turn into a hobby. Super interesting stuff. Science beats paranoia and superstition any day of the week in my book.
As far as these atmospheric effects that are referred to as 'earthquake rainbows' I am holding out for the possibility that there is some correllation between them appearing and earthquakes occurring regardless of explanation. At the moment, anyhow. I have grown used to having my own theories about all this stuff destroyed and rebuilt. Thanks again. I will be checking it out for sure.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Actually I think the first time "earthquake lights" are mentioned in the western world is from Pliny although I can't remember if it Pliny the Elder or Pliny the Younger. So they have been a known phenomenon, but not one that has yet to be understood.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stars15k

Thank you very much. I am off to look in to that.

Well I went to check it out. It has to do with the ancient, lost Greek city of Hellike. There was apparently a huge earthquake and then tsunami there that disappeared the whole city into the sea. Pliny, Ovid and others lived during a time when you could still see the city at the bottom of the sea. The Earthquake was immediately preceded by 'Huge columns of flame...' that filled the sky.
I also discovered that there is an entry for earthquake lights in Wikipedia. I will link it. It mentions that photographs were taken of these lights during the Nagano, Japan earthquake storm of 1965-67. I have not been able to find these photos. But anecdotally I found an entry in a Forum thread on Facebook from 2010 wherein a living survivor of this earthquake storm recounted a story about how she saw multiple 'Blue flashes...' during a 7.1 quake. I have read of this also explained as 'earthquake lightning'.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just to reiterate; I did not start the thread with HAARP in mind. I know a little bit about HAARP. I have watched a movie called "This HAARP don't sing" and I have read a bunch of stuff on the web. I presently think this phenomena predates HAARP but I would be interested in learning what others think.

edit on 18-3-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2011 by Frater210 because: HAARP thing

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianGuy

Nice example of iridescence! Now, that is caused not by ice crystals but by evenly sized water droplets in thin clouds.

Iridescent clouds

It's sometimes difficult to see and photograph because it tends to be close to the sun.

Here are some of the better ones I've snapped over the years:

My Iridescent clouds

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I really do think there are earthquake lights and other phenomena that are associated with earthquakes. The trouble is it is difficult to capture them on photos...but someone will someday!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join