It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands protest against Germany's nuclear plants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Thousands protest against Germany's nuclear plants

www.bbc.co.uk

Tens of thousands of people have protested in Germany against the government's plans to extend the life of its nuclear reactors.

Demonstrators in Stuttgart formed a human chain reaching 45km (27 miles) for the protest, planned before the current nuclear crisis in Japan.

Organisers said events in Japan had proved atomic power was an uncontrollable and risky technology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Is this the end of Nucelar Power Plants. Seems alot of people are becomming alarmed, by the events in Japan.

Is it about high time, the Governments dropped Nucelar power,for Greener,enviromentally friendly resources.

One thingis for sure I can see further Protests against the building of any new Nuclear power plants in the UK now.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I find it Bizarre that Mercel would state,that thier country is not in any danger of any violent earthquakes or tsunammis,tidal waves. Never say neverin my opinion. How delussional is she?
edit on 14-3-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Is it about high time, the Governments dropped Nucelar power,for Greener,enviromentally friendly resources.

I guess then you wouldn't mind living a Planned-Opolis been created by the nwo.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
About 2 days ago I was in the ATS Chatroom and I told them all in there that I guarantee this would be a drum beat to end nuclear power.

Hopefully I am dead wrong but this article makes me think I might be right.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
hmmm
that's weird.
the article i read earlier this morning
stated that there was only about 300
protesters.

here are the pics showing only 300

ireport.cnn.com...

or is this a different protest ??
different location ??

edit to add: yep, different location

edit on 3/14/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
10'000 of People...
www.youtube.com...
Embedding is deactivated for this video. But why do this Lemmings always need a catastrophe before they begin to think. And after the the protest they go home watch themselves on 50" Plasma 400Watt TV's. I don't get it. We are such a stupid species, really.

@boondock-saint:

LOL CNN!

edit on 14-3-2011 by cushycrux because: CNN...Again

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I understand that these are some scarey moments concerning Nuclear Power at the moment.
But the German Government Is the only gov that is phasing out Nuclear power in the future.
The german gov, is charging the Nuclear power Stations inflated tax charges, and any and all funds raise from these taxes have and will be distributed to the renewable energy resources.
The German gov and its people can and should hold their heads high in the fight against nuclear power.

edit on 14-3-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I would rather live with Greener Renewable Energy, than have a Nuclear Plant in a ten mile radius of any residential housing thank you, very much.

The current incidents which are occuring in Japan gives us all a warning. We all should learn by that warning, that there is catastrophic consequences, when it comes to using nuclear power.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Agreed.
Though nuclear power plants are an alternative to fossil fuels....
Its obvious that its too dangerous with the condition of the planet.

You just never know what could happen.
These plants could F the entire world up.

I say get rid of them and start using the SUN.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

And what, exactly are those catastrophic consequences? Tell me, in your expert opinion:

1. what is the worst case scenario at Fukushima
2. how likely is it
3. what are the quantifiable effects on human health

This should be interesting.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

You just have to look at previous Nuclear plants to see what the consequences are, if that nuclear platn in japan completely fails. Remember it is not just one plant which is having difficulties,other nuclear plants in Japan are having difficulty also.

Look at what happenned when the Nuclear plant explodedin the Ukraine, and the effects it had and is stillhaving years later.

The effects of the disaster at Chernobyl were very widespread. The World Health Organization (WHO) found that the radiation release from the Chernobyl accident was 200 times that of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombs combined. The fallout was also far-reaching. For a time, radiation levels in a Scotland were 10,000 times the norm. 30 lives were directly lost during the accident or within a few months after it. Many of these lives were those of the workers trying to put out the graphite fire and were lost from radiation poisoning. The radiation released has also had long-term effects on the cancer incidence rate of the surrounding population. According to the Ukrainian Radiological Institute over 2500 deaths resulted from the Chernobyl incident. The WHO has found a significant increase in cancer in the surrounding area. For example, in 1986 (the year of the accident), 2 cases of childhood thyroid cancer occurred in the Gomel administrative district of the Ukraine (this is the region around the plant). In 1993 there were 42 cases, which is 21 times the rate in 1986. The rate of thyroid cancer is particularly high after the Chernobyl accident because much of the radiation was emitted in the form iodine-131, which collects in the thyroid gland, especially in young children. Other cancer incidence rates didn't seem to be affected. For example, leukemia was no more prevalent after the accident than before

Nuclear Disiasters

Besides thereis already reports of people having been effected by the explosion at that plant,although we are being told the effects is only low level radiation. I do no believe for one moment,we are being told the truth. I can gurantee you there will be more people around that region of Japan whom will have effected by radiation.

Worst case scenario, the west coast of the United states, up and down that area,will be affected,if there is more release of radioactive clouds into the atmosphere. Then it will be Americans, canadians, etc whom will be affected also. If cattle come infected, that goes right through the food train. People being diagnosed with cancer,lukemia, related diseases as a result of the Radioactive cloud. Do I need to continue.
edit on 14-3-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
And it is not just Americans,Canadians etc whom will be affected. Look at the countries around Japan,they will be in the forefront,if that plant goes up,and there is Radioactive clouds vented into the air. This incident will have far reaching consenquences for the people in the Pacific region that is for sure.

There is no denying it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I kind of figured the environmentalists would jump the gun on the situation unfolding in Japan. However, their protests are of little use at the moment, and only clouding the the serious nature of this nuclear emergency. Why not bite their tongues until this situation is hopefully resolved, and then protest to their heart's content? This disaster was a shock to the system for the experts in the nuclear power industry, and I believe they are doing everything within the power to lessen the blow from this catastrophe.

Is it so hard to show a little solidarity with the engineers battling this serious threat to the people of Japan, and more or less the East Asian region if it continues to spiral out of control? On top of that, what do these protesters have in mind as a viable and practical substitute for nuclear power to heat and provide electricity to their abodes? Let me guess? Maybe sitting down and rubbing two flint stones together over a pile of shredded newspaper? These people need to go home, and relax. Now is not the time to make this political or capitalize off of this disaster. There is plenty of time for that later if they so wish. Just my two cents.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wonder how much uniformity there will be when the prices of everything is inflated once nuclear power is barred. Do people really think green energy is so simple as just snapping your fingers, passing laws, and done?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

There are two fundamental differences between Chernobyl and Fukushima.

Chernobyl used liquid graphite to cool the reactor. When hot graphite is exposed to oxygen it burns sending the combustion products into the air. Fukushima uses water to cool its reactor.

The radioactive graphite is several orders of magnitude more energetic than radioactive steam meaning that a release of radioactive produces only a tiny fraction of the fallout from a release of graphite like the one seen at Chernobyl. This is nuclear engineering 101 here, basic stuff.

Additionally, the reactor core at Chernobyl was directly exposed to the atmosphere because Chernobyl was built without primary or secondary containment. Fukushima still has both primary and secondary containment intact. While there were hydrogen explosions at both Chernobyl and Fukushima, the hydrogen explosion at Chernobyl took place inside the reactor hurling the lid of the reactor hundreds of feet into the air. The hydrogen explosion at Fukushima too place outside of both the primary and secondary containment structures and only affected a crane room on top of the reactor.

So yes, please continue.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
And it is not just Americans,Canadians etc whom will be affected. Look at the countries around Japan,they will be in the forefront,if that plant goes up,and there is Radioactive clouds vented into the air. This incident will have far reaching consenquences for the people in the Pacific region that is for sure.

There is no denying it.

How, precisely, does a nuclear plant “go up”?

This aint the China Syndrome.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Surely in this case it would be the Europe Syndrome??

What about much safer Thorium reactors, I've read a few papers and articles about them and there isn't much of a downside, there's a few threads on ATS about them.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

Originally posted by SirMike

What about much safer Thorium reactors, I've read a few papers and articles about them and there isn't much of a downside, there's a few threads on ATS about them.

ZING!

Dont know too much about the thorium fuel cycle.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye

LWRs are certainly a lot safer than Chernobyl type RBMK plants, but that didn't seem to stop two BWRs from displaying spectacular explosions and spreading at least some radiation. let's hope that looks really are deceiving, the alternative would be painful for the entire world, because an industry that apparently can't get its facts straight shouldn't be allowed to toy around with nuclear materials, obviously. what that would imply is of course underground reactors only from now on, no matter how safe the glossy PR says they are.

therefore i reserve judgement until they release tangible information, f-ex.an aerial photograph of the (now exposed) spent fuel pool which would allow us to verify to integrity of the top containment. if there's a gaping hole in the middle, we'll all know what it means....

certain people will instrumentalise any incident at any nuclear power plant, to them, such a serious incident is the same as a transformer fire, so they really shouldn't be taken all that seriously, imho.

===============================================

ZING!

Dont know too much about the thorium fuel cycle.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

the kicker is that any breeder reactor will have a lower excess fissile inventory (less reactivity) which contributes greatly to safety margins and Thorium can breed using slow neutrons, avoiding the issues of fast reactors. for full potential, liquid fuels, allowing for continuous fission product removal should to be used. if you feel like it, search for 'LFTR' .
edit on 2011.3.14 by Long Lance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Just wanted to add that this was only in Stuttgart, not in the whole country.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join