It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IQ Test.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I can not believe it has come to this. I would like to request ATS add either an IQ test to access certain forums or perhaps even an IQ badge or maybe even a way to sort posts by IQ. Maybe a basic test to be allowed to create a thread.
What is currently frustrating me more than anything in threads is the increasing number of threads being created that literally read as if they are written by children. I know IQ is not everything and I am not complaining about spelling, grammer, general laziness or the occasional 'brain fart'.
I do not want to be percieved to be attacking any individual and was not going to provide an example but I need to to get my point across *cough* thread *cough* Ya get me?
edit on 12-3-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

- I am not saying this person is not intelligent because they are obviously russian, I am saying stuff like this getting through is lowering the over all site quality. And although I want to avoid censorship - where do we draw the line?
- but I am sure others know what I am talking about. I am talking about threads where people are not even showing the slightest ability to attempt to answer their own question, to be able to see that every coin has 2 sides, making comparissons between 2 things that are obviously so different they can not be compared - or as I have seen today threads where people are not even making any sense. Maybe they are using a translator, or they are intoxicated, a bot or they have a some other irregularity but their threads are not even interpretable.

Am I the only one seeing this pattern becoming more common? it used to be a very rare event.
I feel like the age of the average active user on ATS has dropped. Am I alone?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Your complaints have been said before approximately one or two times a month for the past six months (Since I signed up) Just act the part of the "higher IQ" person and ignore them whilst simultaneously moving on.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

Your complaints have been said before approximately one or two times a month for the past six months (Since I signed up) Just act the part of the "higher IQ" person and ignore them whilst simultaneously moving on.

Thanks - I have seen this as a complaint usually made in a forum when someone disagree's with someone else, but never as a serious general suggestion.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I don't think the mods will do anything, there have been various suggestions, one of them involved changing the "stars" system and things like that. I used to complain aswell with people coming on here pretending/believing they are "Reptilians". Ultimately, there is not much you can do about it, and segregation can be a "bad" thing if one wants to learn from anothers perspective.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I don't think the mods will do anything, there have been various suggestions, one of them involved changing the "stars" system and things like that. I used to complain aswell with people coming on here pretending/believing they are "Reptilians". Ultimately, there is not much you can do about it, and segregation can be a "bad" thing if one wants to learn from anothers perspective.

I understand. I have never raised the issue before because I believed a big part of denying ignorance was having to listen to it

But I just noticed recently it it has hit a level that would compare to the movie idiocracy.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I can not believe it has come to this. I would like to request ATS add either an IQ test to access certain forums or perhaps even an IQ badge or maybe even a way to sort posts by IQ. Maybe a basic test to be allowed to create a thread.

Maybe an additional test could be run, so that only posters with blue eyes and blond hair are allowed to post.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

And what would your suggested minimum IQ be to allow for posting threads?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I.Q. Tests are unreliable.

I know many people who are brilliant in some areas and dumb as rocks in others. One person in particular was a brilliant mechanical engineer, but the man will take anything anyone says with out question. He is dirt poor, because in hopes of becoming his own boss he falls for every get rich quick scheme that he sees on t.v. and every Nigerian e-mail scam that comes through his in box. He can think out of the box when it comes to inventing, but hand him a poorly written paper in which most people would spot b.s. right away he'll take it as fact no questions asked.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
You're treading a dangerous line, OP. One minute you're sorting, the next minute you're filtering, the next minute you're censoring altogether. Don't go there at all.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Intelligence is different than being highly educated. Someone could have an average IQ, yet be so well-known in Mathematics that he is more knowledgable than a person with a higher IQ. Yet the higher IQ person will learn it "faster".

I agree on the previous points though. We really should set up concentration camps and a special police force world-wide in honour of the great Leader. We will round these people up and make them work for the good of our nation there, and our special police force will control the populace.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

And what would your suggested minimum IQ be to allow for posting threads?

Maybe just a test as simple as:
Spell ignorance backwards
What is five minus four?
What are the last 5 letters of the alphabet?

It's not so complicated it is going to censor valid information - more of a sobriety test.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Hello! I am new to ATS. I'm not sure what my I.Q. is, but I'm pretty sure it's in the average range or above. If I start reading a thread, and it isnt making sence, or i'm just not into it, I quit reading and move on.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

That is not an answer to his question.

Maybe you misread, or maybe you didn´t get it.

I think a test should be performed on you.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by finalword
You're treading a dangerous line, OP. One minute you're sorting, the next minute you're filtering, the next minute you're censoring altogether. Don't go there at all.

I agree completely - as I said I have not raised this issue before because part of denying ignorance is listening to it. But surely we could have a basic test to attempt to remove people that are either intoxicated or on the same level as someone who is - I am talking about the posts that are such jibberish that they might as well be censored...

*cough* thread *cough* Ya get me?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
There was once a groovy little neighborhood in San Francisco where a bunch of free spirited people lived. They were open minded people and accepting of other peoples diversity. They played in the parks and danced in the streets. And boy could they party. This was 1965 and 1966. Then the songs came on the radios of the children all over the country saying to come to SF. And Height Ashbury was never the same again. In the spring of 67, the first hippies held a funeral in the streets for the hippie. The influx of wannabes was to much to bear.

Hopefully ATS can bear the strain with maturity the hippies lacked because as the world awakens, guess where they will be going. I know what I need when I wake up every morning, some one to guide me to a coffee pot.
So let's carry on brothers and sisters.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I just scored 168 on a online IQ test, would have never done that if not for your thread... So I guess reading it was not a total waste of time.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
i actually started a thread similar to this topic two days ago. it seems to me that the age may be dropping, not so much the iq. to me it seems more like an inability to cohere thoughts into speech, which leads me to believe it is due to inexperience in that area more than anything else.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

reply to post by calstorm

Intelligence is different than being highly educated. Someone could have an average IQ, yet be so well-known in Mathematics that he is more knowledgable than a person with a higher IQ. Yet the higher IQ person will learn it "faster".

I agree on the previous points though. We really should set up concentration camps and a special police force world-wide in honour of the great Leader. We will round these people up and make them work for the good of our nation there, and our special police force will control the populace.

I am not sure where you got highly educated from this. The person I was referring to is not highly educated in the traditional sense of the word, since he was primarily self taught. I guess I should probably mention that he is almost 90 years old now and in the 50's 60's and 70's he didn't need a formal degree to design parts for J.P.L. (Jet Propulsion Laboratory). But then he does have darn near perfect memory.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

So wich was the case, misread it, or didn´t get it?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
What is currently frustrating me more than anything in threads is the increasing number of threads being created that literally read as if they are written by children. I know IQ is not everything and I am not complaining about spelling, grammer, general laziness or the occasional 'brain fart'.
I do not want to be percieved to be attacking any individual so I will not provide examples - but I am sure others know what I am talking about. I am talking about threads where people are not even showing the slightest ability to attempt to answer their own question, to be able to see that every coin has 2 sides, making comparissons between 2 things that are obviously so different they can not be compared - or as I have seen today threads where people are not even making any sense. Maybe they are using a translator, or they are intoxicated, a bot or they have a some other irregularity but their threads are not even interpretable.

Am I the only one seeing this pattern becoming more common? it used to be a very rare event.
I feel like the age of the average active user on ATS has dropped. Am I alone?

Really? I can promise you that there are plenty of great posts from people with low IQ scores, and there are also people with high IQs that waste our time. This is quite a narrow minded assumption that you have made. I understand why you might want to filter who and what can be posted here, but you should use your heightened intelligence to sort through it.

And...I don't want to go here...but for someone who doesn't know how to spell "grammar"...maybe you should be more accepting, and try not to count people out for something that is mostly irrelevant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join