It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPad 2

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Is anyone buying one/ordering one tomorrow? Which model? They look pretty nice. I think I'm going to order it from the Apple Store online. I don't want to go to the store and wait in line. I don't mind waiting a few days for shipping.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If it's anything like the first ipad it will be a overpriced ipod touch..don't waste your money like I did on the first one..WORST INVESTMENT EVER!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I will never but an apple product, don't get me wrong they make some cool stuff and I like the look of some of the things they make but they are like a dictatorship, no flash, you cant even make an app for the phone if you don't use apple's software to make it, they sue every bloody company that even attempts to make something touch sensitive, even though touch screens existed well before apple thought of it...

Anyhoo the apple ipad does look really cool, the one thing I have not seen is that it was rumoured that the screen was supposed to be super HD of 2048x1536 but I have never seen that mentioned in the specs... it does look good and ill admit I have drooled over some of their stuff but blocking out the competition via sneaky tactics puts me off the company as a whole and I'm sure it will back fire for them in the coming years.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
If it's anything like the first ipad it will be a overpriced ipod touch..don't waste your money like I did on the first one..WORST INVESTMENT EVER!

I don't agree with you on that. That product ( iPad) is genius considering all what you can do + all the apps and games of every kind. The size of the screen matter and the quality of the image is just amazing so overprice, no9t that much and definitely cannot be comapred to an iPod touch.

Worst investment it's personal but according to their sales and crtiticism I saw on these it doesn't seems so many people have the same opinion as you.

Talking opinion, try to at least say why you're not happy with your purchase instead of complaining for no definite reason.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

On our local TV ads for the first iPad it talked extensively about the convenience of being able to print your documents/e-mails.

I am an IT support person and there is NO printer support in the iPad (I had to tell my managing director that the advertisement was a lie, that there was no printer support and that he'd wasted his money if that was what he expected. Not fun)!

(Yes, I do know that there are some third party printer solutions, but they are expensive and do not render the print jobs properly).

Typing on a touch screen is hell.

The inbuilt WiFi is not standards compliant (too low power) which is the reason it was originally banned in Israel.

Communication via 3G is an appalingly slow, expensive and painful way to browse the net, even then it can't render Flash and so you miss out on nearly half the internet.

You need all sorts of special connectors (most that don't come with it) to connect even basic things like USB and you must use iTunes to connect to it (read; file tranfer is problematic).

It doesn't multitask.

It doesn't even have a camera.

It doesn't display widescreen video properly, nor can it output HDMI.

It is a piece of jewellery, not any sort of computer or business solution.

edit on 10/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm more interested in the new macbook pros personally... but ipads are pretty awesome

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thruthseek3r

Originally posted by TechVampyre

I don't agree with you on that. That product ( iPad) is genius considering all what you can do + all the apps and games of every kind. The size of the screen matter and the quality of the image is just amazing so overprice, no9t that much and definitely cannot be comapred to an iPod touch.

Worst investment it's personal but according to their sales and crtiticism I saw on these it doesn't seems so many people have the same opinion as you.

Talking opinion, try to at least say why you're not happy with your purchase instead of complaining for no definite reason.

Fact, It is nothing more then a large ipod touch. I owned both of them I should know..First the internet is terrible..Slow..And no flash support..It takes forever to stream videos with or without the 3G....And yes there are many, many disappointed people with the ipad first gen..Why do you think the second one is coming out so fast?.. Finally if you compare it to the price of a average laptop...You will see it is extremely over priced.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I have to agree with you, my dad bought an ipad also and has regretted ever since, i told him not to buy it!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If you like throwing money away can I have some please!

The only time I'd own an Apple product is if it was a gift, and the most difficult thing I would have on my mind is how long is correct time to be seen using it before I can sell the thing off to the fist mug who's got the cash, I will work it down to the second, 3,601 seconds and that thing will be on ebay.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Originally posted by chr0naut

reply to post by enjoies05

Just trying to devils advocate your post, any references to argument is referred to debate.

On our local TV ads for the first iPad it talked extensively about the convenience of being able to print your documents/e-mails.

I am an IT support person and there is NO printer support in the iPad (I had to tell my managing director that the advertisement was a lie, that there was no printer support and that he'd wasted his money if that was what he expected. Not fun)!

(Yes, I do know that there are some third party printer solutions, but they are expensive and do not render the print jobs properly).

I agree that AirPrint is poorly executed, and there should be a way to access a printer though a computer or over a networked printer either by installing a program or being able to locate a local printer though the settings screen respectively. This would be something at I'd look to the Information Technologies department to figure out how to accomplish.

Typing on a touch screen is hell.

After long enough time, it gets intuitive. One cannot say that they first saw a keyboard and was typing 50 words a minute.

The inbuilt WiFi is not standards compliant (too low power) which is the reason it was originally banned in Israel.

I do not have enough information on this.

Communication via 3G is an appalingly slow, expensive and painful way to browse the net, even then it can't render Flash and so you miss out on nearly half the internet.

3G being slow and expensive is a carrier problem, hopefully with the Verizon version and AT&T losing exclusivity there will be some competition. Flash is unstable, but if you tell me how to play a flash game with a finger or what videos are in flash that from a corporate view would be worth watching and I'll agree with you about "missing" half of the Internet.

You need all sorts of special connectors (most that don't come with it) to connect even basic things like USB and you must use iTunes to connect to it (read; file tranfer is problematic).

No argument with the adapters being separate, however it does come with a USB cable needed to dock to a computer and charge (after initial registration it never "needs" to be docked unless for update to firmware).

For what purpose would you wish to hook up a USB to the iPad?

It has a mic and headphone port, not to mention built in mic and speaker.
It is also capable of Bluetooth connectivity, which one could connect a Bluetooth keyboard (sold separately but not "needed" with onscreen keyboard) if one wished if not have the dock able keyboard (sold separately but not "needed" with onscreen keyboard).
I'll admit to Apple selling a separate "Camera Connection Kit" for $30 as being something that should have been included with the original iPad as it would have a card reader and USB in for a camera or a mulitcard reader. But once again, this is not "needed" nor would it be with the iPad 2 having built in cameras.
Prior to iPad 2, there was both RCA and Composit out dock cables with the ability to charge while outputting information for the iPad which were used for video, photos and music. ($49 each but not "needed" especially after the ability to use AirPlay)

There are programs to use other then iTunes for music transfer, I can only think of songbird at the moment. iTunes is bloated I fully agree, I don't need to tweet each and every song I'm listening to as I listen to it.

It doesn't multitask.

Does have the ability to have several apps open at the same time, most third party apps do not fully support application switching and reboot when switched back to. Some music apps do fully support multitasking. But seriously, what are you trying to do at the same time?

It doesn't even have a camera.

iPad 2 has front and rear cameras for FaceTime taking videos or stills (presumably from a corporate view of taking photos or videos of job sites or conferencing). Or one could use the Camera Connection Kit for uploading stills or videos to the iPad and either transferring by docking or emailing.

It doesn't display widescreen video properly, nor can it output HDMI.

iPad 2 (with adapter) touted as being able not only to output all apps through HDMI, but also to mirror what is going on the iPad screen.

From a home perspective, who wouldn't have a computer before an iPad? Use that for printing and writing, it is better suited to it. The iPad is an information consumption device allowing one to view photos, watch movies, surf the web, read books, find locations/destinations 3G assisted GPS, and play games while not being tethered to a PC. Maybe from the backyard, or while in bed, or on a long distance trip. a lot of people call the iPad a big iPod touch, and it is kind of hard to disagree, but try reading a book on an iPod touch, one would develop eye strain by the 4th chapter.

The iPad 2 is a big improvement with the cameras and being lighter. Possible applications in real world:
-Doctors using it to update patients charts and including photos taken straight from the device, or being able to access a medical database to verify prognosis.
-Construction foremen viewing plans, taking job site photos for status updates and being able to coordinate with the client.
-Educators/students using the device as a text book substitute that can easily be updated (not all that cost effective till high school or college level).
-Pilots using it for maps and real time weather updates enroute or at destination.
-Lawyers using it for being able to reference a case during a trial.
-Government for being able to access important documents such as laws passed, bills being voted on and the Constitution (or they should be) (side note, someone should make an app for checking bills and laws for constitutionality so they can be voted down more easy when they are unconstitutional)
-Military using it to get battle maps, accessing real time intelligence, sending and receiving situation reports, translation to and from foreign nationals, building accurate passenger and cargo manifests even in remote locations (military encrypted applications would be strongly recommended for these tasks)
-Photographer using it to easily show photos, entertain child subjects (smile for the birdie concept), accessing photographer rights when hassled, uploading photos from a camera (using the Camera Connection Kit) and using to Flicker or email.
-Journalism acting as a teleprompter (on the cheap side), accessing news updates in the field, iPad 2 video conferencing, recording a story - editing it using the iPad movies app (separate charge inside iTunes or app store) - and emailing it or docking to a pc and sending that way.
-Customer Support for when being asked a question that you have to question a supervisor and need to bring the pertinent information with you instead of having to wait for supervisor to come to your desk or for them to bring up the account in question.
-Chefs (or home cooks) for bring up cook books for new dishes.

Just food for thought, "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

Sent from my iPad generation 1.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure what exactly I did at 4am this morning. I could of sworn I ordered it. I don't know what I did, but when I woke up my order didn't go through. So now I have to wait 2 - 3 weeks for it to ship. That was pretty frustrating.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure what exactly I did at 4am this morning. I could of sworn I ordered it. I don't know what I did, but when I woke up my order didn't go through. So now I have to wait 2 - 3 weeks for it to ship. That was pretty frustrating.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

Are you sure it did not go through?..You might have been added to the waiting list..This is what they did the last time they released the first ipad..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I didn't get to any confirmation screen the first time. No email sent to me, and when I looked in the order history on Apple.com nothing was there.

I'm really hoping I only ordered one.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

I didn't get to any confirmation screen the first time. No email sent to me, and when I looked in the order history on Apple.com nothing was there.

I'm really hoping I only ordered one.

Either way, keep in mind next time that apples return policy is terrible..Best buy has a much better one..Apple has a 20% restocking fee no questions asked if it is open policy..But if you bring it to best buy, They will refund your money if you are not happy with the product.. ( not trying to push best buy over apple, just saying)..
edit on 11-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Well I believe it depends on the use you are planning to do with. I saw and used for a couple of hours and tried many apps as well the internet and that was great. Concerning the streaming I can't say I ain't a streamer I download everything I watch on my pc. But if you consider apple has 82% of the mobile tablet market with its iPad and that 5-8 other companies such as RIM, Sony, etc. You can consider it has many good features. Instead of seeing only the bad parts of it I focus on the goods. BTW nothing is perfect but everything matters in the meaning of excellence.
That's what I have to say.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thruthseek3r

Well I believe it depends on the use you are planning to do with. I saw and used for a couple of hours and tried many apps as well the internet and that was great. Concerning the streaming I can't say I ain't a streamer I download everything I watch on my pc. But if you consider apple has 82% of the mobile tablet market with its iPad and that 5-8 other companies such as RIM, Sony, etc. You can consider it has many good features. Instead of seeing only the bad parts of it I focus on the goods. BTW nothing is perfect but everything matters in the meaning of excellence.
That's what I have to say.

Agreed nothing is perfect..But it should come pretty damn close for the price..
And apple is only leading the market with the ipad right now because of how much it is hyped up..The new samsung tablet looks like a much more promising investment..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The only time I'd own an Apple product is if it was a gift, and the most difficult thing I would have on my mind is how long is correct time to be seen using it before I can sell the thing off to the fist mug who's got the cash, I will work it down to the second, 3,601 seconds and that thing will be on ebay.

Personally though, I've had my MacBook for over a year now, and never had a virus, or trouble with it, etc. Always boots right up, great user experience, no malware, and the battery lasts a LONG time... I'd never go back to PC if I can help it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FleetAdmiral

Flash is unstable, but if you tell me how to play a flash game with a finger or what videos are in flash that from a corporate view would be worth watching and I'll agree with you about "missing" half of the Internet.

Ummm, have you heard of "YouTube"?

Flash isn't just about games and isn't unstable. It has become an internet standard because it does what it does.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
... and in regard to flash content (YouTube) not being corporate acceptable, you obviously have not had recent experience with any current software and computer based training.

edit on 16/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join