It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK are preparing mass rehearsals for flood based catastrophes, including a North Sea Swell

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

I read that earlier today in the paper as well, a supermoon eh, well we shall see if the pattern/ trend continues as expected, funny how i dont remember the term supermoon from the times it has happened before, or is this just another paperatzi termonology i just dont know, i am quite looking forward to the event though.

Icanseeatoms.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gutman

My god i remember the flood i was caught in at Tewkesbury at that time, got through a ford eventually stalled the car got pushed onto side of road, let car drain water off after half hour was on my way back home, took me 3 hours for an hour journey, not a patch on the december snow though, 5 hours for a 45 min journey, anyway i have relatives in worcs n often traverse the malvern hills with the family n dog in tow, so yes immediately before me is the malvern hills and a fair bet miss the local flooding,

Icanseeatoms.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
They held an exercise in Liverpool last september.
It was based on an earthquake happening with a magnitude of .....i think 7 or 8 plus.
Liverpool.....Earthquake....?
Doubt it very much.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
An exercise was held yesterday in Grimsby

Link to article

I sort of wish I'd have been there to see what happened.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scops
An exercise was held yesterday in Grimsby

Link to article

I sort of wish I'd have been there to see what happened.

same here would of been good to see what happened. am from grimsby so i should of been there really

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I am interested in the term North Sea Swell - does anyone have any scenarios to share?

I am on the NE coast of Scotland and interested in any explanations of the potential catalyst for a North Sea Swell and the resultant impacts.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rikgrimsby

If i remember rightly, a few years ago, didn't the fitties in Humberston and Thorpe Park flood?
What are we talking, something similar to that? Or something much worse...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellify
I am interested in the term North Sea Swell - does anyone have any scenarios to share?

en.wikipedia.org...

It's good we're planning for such floods - and those of 2007, which I experienced first hand. I have no doubt we'll see the same again at some point. Better forewarned and prepared!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

I actually felt a tremor in Manchester last night and there was another at 9am today.

I'm so glad me and one other (that I know of) are not the only ones to have felt some very minor quakes in Britain (Anglian Region)!! I was putting them down to an overactive imagination!

Mine were felt as a short but distinctive 'rumbling' sensation felt in the feet, or anything else in direct contact with the ground, as apposed to any physical objects shaking and rattling.
Mine could have just as easily been something far more common though I'm sure, but it was certainly a unique experience for me, to feel the ground rumble underfoot!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Scops

that was when we had all that rain and the willows flooded too. but why didnt they just do the drill at the fitties and the willows then ? why at town centre...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Well I'm guessing they're expecting a significant rise in sea levels? These exercises are going on all along our coast, and as you'll know the sea goes all the way into Grimsby town centre.

Either were expecting a hell of a lot of rain, or, in previous posts there is mentions of tremors in the UK, maybe were preparing for the back lash of a quake elsewhere? A large wave perhaps?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icanseeatoms
Im in the Midlands, nothing to report as yet, although i would ask ATS UK, where is the highest point to get away from the flood should things go ponto around here, thanks very much for any assistance and replys.

Icanseeatoms.

I was brought up in Tamworth in the Midlands so depending on your location I would suggest somewhere like Malvern or the Heights of Abraham in Matlock Bath (lots of high points in that region)

Woody

edit on 9-3-2011 by woodwytch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Scops

We're preparing for any eventuality.

Just because you have a fire alarm exercise doesn't mean someone is expecting the building to burn down today

We hold exercises because we know that sooner or later an event may occur and it's better safe than sorry, even if in the process it upsets the guys in the tin foil hats, frankly we don't care.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scops

Either were expecting a hell of a lot of rain, or, in previous posts there is mentions of tremors in the UK, maybe were preparing for the back lash of a quake elsewhere? A large wave perhaps?

Mutantgenius mentioned in the thread about the New Madrid Fault which I believe is expected to go anytime soon.
To me, this sounds like a plausible reason to be suddenly concerning ourselves with major flooding all around our coastline, as it would have to be a tremendous earthquake to send a tsunami that threatening to our shores from theirs and, well...that's certainly what they've been saying the New Madrid Fault will be.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Hiya woody, i was brought up in wolverhampton west mids, got the malvern hills from another poster but thanks for your input as well.

Icanseeatoms

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by Scops

We're preparing for any eventuality.

Just because you have a fire alarm exercise doesn't mean someone is expecting the building to burn down today

We hold exercises because we know that sooner or later an event may occur and it's better safe than sorry, even if in the process it upsets the guys in the tin foil hats, frankly we don't care.

Why cut the money going to actually tackling the flooding we already get, then spend a tidy sum training people in how to deal with catastrophic floods, nationally?
It's OTT.

And please, MANNERS & DECORUM.
There is a very real threat of the New Madrid Fault going anytime. I for one, feel you are insulting people by implying they must be a tinfoil-hat wearing nutter, to even consider the possibility.

Please try to respect other peoples opinions.

edit on 9-3-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

A massive earthquake along the New Madrid fault would cause a tsunami in Britain in the same way the, er, Dudley earthquake caused a devasting tsunami in New York.

Tsunamis are caused by deep oceanic earthquakes. Not those in the midst of continents.

It has no relevance to exercise for likely flooding in the UK due to heavy rain or storm surges.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Talking about the moon, has any one looked at the moon in the last couple of days? last night and tonight the crescent moon is at a very weird angle.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Thank you for the info

My equipment priority has been duly updated.

Lifejacket now at top.
Filterstraws coming in second.
Waterproofs moved up to third.
Fishing kit fourth.

I know what you mean about blissful ignorance...
I took the red pill :/

S&F

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by star child

Talking about the moon, has any one looked at the moon in the last couple of days? last night and tonight the crescent moon is at a very weird angle.

I noticed it the other night, it was exactly as you described and also had an orange/reddish tint to it. I thought it odd at the time... Glad it's not just me seeing things.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join