It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sad day for music fans today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The Bassist Mike Starr from Alice in Chains passed away yesterday after a long battle of addiction, sad to hear he lost the fight. My condolonces to his family, band and friends RIP my BROTHER you will be missied.
edit on 9-3-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Had a chance meeting with the group while they were performing in SD, USA. Condolences to the Family and the rest of his crew!! RIP & Rock on!!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
One of my favorite bands, thanks for relaying the news.

Some bands are just ill-starred ( no pun intended).

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
If anyone doesn't know AIC - shame on you. One of the greatest bands to come out of the early 90's. They never released a bad album and always stayed true to their own unique style. Even after replacing Layne they are a top act to catch. Saw them twice in the past year or so. I can share a shameful story about the band:
Back in 91/92 they opened up for Van Halen on the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour. They were brand new to all of us hard rock/metal/hair band fans. I am not sure they even had a video running on MTV. This was the height of the Sammy Hagar years and we fans were so eager to see VH, we booed AIC off the stage.
It's hillarious how AIC has stayed relevant and VH has become an absolute mess of warped personalities. My apologies to AIC for our rude behavior outside of Chicago 20 years ago. Speaking for myself - I wasn't mentally ready for their new type of angst metal and needed my mind to develope a little more before I could enjoy it. What the hell do any of us know at 17? Very few songs get an emotional response out of me and AIC has one of those songs. If you know the history of Layne Staley, think about it while listening to "Don't Follow". Amazing. The ONLY other band to come out of that scene and accomplish as much (and a lot more) than AIC is Tool. This is a sad day and I hope AIC continue to record and perform.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Another great musician falls victim to the lifestyle.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Sad...

I never really liked Alice in Chains... I was/am into heavier genres...

but I watched a DVD of AIC back in the day and on his bass he had a sticker that said
"Friends don't let friends get haircuts" I always loved that!!!

The Wife and I watched him on Celebrity Rehab... I must say he was a highlight of the show... I really felt compassion for him and his path to wellness is one reason I stayed tuned in...

This makes me sad that he has passed... Another human soul gone....

I pray for his family

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah, a very sad day indeed. R.I.P. bro, and condolences to all of us - your extended family.

Best Band, since the 60's, and one of the most honest, real, and caring.
Of course they would dye young, only a band with that much Angst, and truthfulness, could be as powerful as they where...

"Better to burn out, then to fade away."

R.I.P.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Wow this sucks. Been a huge AIC fan for years. First we lost Layne, now Mike. I know from experience about addiction and it's horrible when it ends in death.

new topics

top topics

join