It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get your fracking hands off my Yellowstone !! Gas Companies plan to Drill on Yellowstone's doorstep

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

kro32:
How many posts do I have to prove to you guys that earthquakes do not or ever will trigger a volcanic eruption. Take some geology courses before you post junk like this.

Sorry, but you are wrong:

From these clues scientists have deduced that the triggering event on May 18 was a fairly severe earthquake (magnitude 5) that dislodged a gigantic bulge, formed in recent weeks on the mountain's north side. In the largest landslides ever recorded by American geologists, this bulge slipped down the mountain like a vast sliding door.

With this ''door'' open, rock that had become supercharged with highly compressed gas exploded, ejecting to the north a tremendous horizontal blast. The reconstruction has removed uncertainty over whether the earthquake caused the eruption or vice versa.

The quake that immediately preceded the eruption was no different from the many that had occurred in recent weeks, though unusually intense. Its only novel feature, according to Dr. Malone, was the eight-minute series of tremors that followed the quake, caused by subsequent landslides and avalanches. Measuring Tremors and Swellings

SOURCE: ST. HELENS: SCIENTISTS REPORT THE CAUSE IS FINALLY CLEAR
(NY times 1981)

Earthquakes can and have caused volcanic eruptions. We must always be careful when talking in absolutes about geology. We will most likely always be proven wrong.

edit on 25-4-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Robin, Don't Dare You Reply or acknowledge this post!

kro - at this point you do not even deserve any of our attention. I will not give it to you again. Maybe me thinks you should take a course or maybe two.

Ahh West Coast - beat me in the typing room as I was strugling with links here - you rock

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

WC hun... Kro32 is a serious troll! Claims to be a geologist... goes into all of our active threads and states all sorts of nonsense. Never ONCE posts links, articles, studies, etc to backup any of his claims.

WC... thank YOU for posting and LINKING an article and source!! Just don't let the troll get to you or bother you. Ignoring as Anmarie is planning on doing, is by far the BEST idea ever!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Thank you for that response westcoast...you are an informed poster and I always like your opinion. However you are still incorrect. Mt.St. Helens was near the point of eruption anyways. It was going to go anyways.

I must also point out that the earthquakes were in fact being triggered by the impending volcanic eruption and it was not an isolated event.

The main point here is that Yellowstone will not erupt until the sufficient requirements are present for an eruption to occur. It's akin to throwing a match into your gas tank looking for an explosion with no gas in it. Just not gonna happen.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
Robin, Don't Dare You Reply or acknowledge this post!

kro - at this point you do not even deserve any of our attention. I will not give it to you again. Maybe me thinks you should take a course or maybe two.

Ahh West Coast - beat me in the typing room as I was strugling with links here - you rock

I don't actually want any of your attention. I just like to point out facts and leave it like that. I will challenge you on this though.

Find one volcano anywhere in the world that was not showing any signs of eruption, then an earthquake happened, and then it blew.

It's not possible and I have no links because no one studies this because it's an obvious fact to anyone in geology.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Thank you for that response westcoast...you are an informed poster and I always like your opinion. However you are still incorrect. Mt.St. Helens was near the point of eruption anyways. It was going to go anyways.

I must also point out that the earthquakes were in fact being triggered by the impending volcanic eruption and it was not an isolated event.

The main point here is that Yellowstone will not erupt until the sufficient requirements are present for an eruption to occur. It's akin to throwing a match into your gas tank looking for an explosion with no gas in it. Just not gonna happen.

Kro... why don't you go eat some crow!

“It’s very common for the two to be linked,” said Jonathan Snow, a volcanologist at the University of Houston. “Volcanic eruptions are usually preceded by earthquakes large and small.”

The close geological connection is rooted in the shifting of Earth’s tectonic plates against each other that can also jostle magma beneath volcanoes, urging it upward.

In fact, since seismic shifts are so closely related to volcanic action, geologists listen in to the seismic movements around volcanically active regions to predict when earthquakes might spark volcanic eruptions.

“Many of the active volcanoes in Cascades are literally wired for sound,” Snow said.

Likewise, the geological chain reaction linking earthquakes and volcanoes takes place deep in the ground where it can’t be seen.

In order for earthquakes to set off a volcano, the magma reservoir beneath the fiery mountains must be already primed to blow.

Oh... and more!

“If you have a magnitude 6.0 earthquake, a magnitude 7.0 earthquake, somewhere relatively nearby, then those waves cause small strains, a little bit of deformation (in the rock surrounding the magma chambers) -- a small amount -- but it might be just enough to trigger an eruption,” said Cindy Ebinger, a geophysicist from the University of Rochester in New York. “For it to trigger, whatever those seismic waves are perturbing has to be nearly ready to go as it is.”

Discovery News - Are Volcanoes And Earthquakes Related

ETA: Another news article stating that large quakes can trigger volcanic eruptions.

Science Daily - Large Earthquakes Trigger A Surge In Volcanic Eruptions
edit on 25-4-2011 by UtahRosebud because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Indonesia and Sumatra have their monthly share of 5+ 6 quakes without any of them triggering an eruption. Same goes for Chile, Japan and so many other places in the world.

Eruptions are often preceeded by earthquakes, often volcanic in nature and not tectonic. May be a tectonic quake can trigger a possible eruption at a volcano that's ready to erupt in a matter of weeks/hours/days (already harmonic readings registered on seismographs without the thing blowing off). But there have been already dozens of cases where the alert level for a volcano was raised to it's max followed by quakes and nothing happening.

I know West-Coast as you responded to me in another thread but I didn't explained me well there. What made me react there was that someone posted about a coming quake next month or in June/July whatever, defenitely tectonic, that would trigger multiple eruptions in West and/or Mid USA.

On the other hand Fracking at Yellowstone is frigging scary, that's something to be worried about.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join