It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummified Remains In Hoarder's Home Could Be Mom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

75 year-old Gladys Bergmeier died Feb. 7; Mummy in pajamas and one sock could be her mother, Gladys Stansbury, not seen in years

AP) JENNINGS, Mo. - Investigators are trying to determine if mummified remains found in the home of an elderly hoarder are those of the woman's mother, who hasn't been seen for more than a decade.

A relative cleaning out the home three weeks after the occupant died found the mummified woman wrapped in plastic and a multicolored curtain, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Tuesday.

The home's occupant, Gladys Jean Bergmeier, was 75 when she was found dead on Feb. 7, dressed in a nightgown in her bed. She was known by neighbors to be a pack rat whose home was filled with bags of papers and trash and outdated newspapers.

It's not just another reality show... I don't think I could live with a dead person wrapped up in my house.

The relative helping clean up on Feb. 26 found the remains, dressed in a pajama top and camisole, with a sock on the right foot. Authorities believe it may be Bergmeier's mother, Gladys Stansbury.

"It appears (Bergmeier) couldn't let go (of her mother)," said Gwen Haugen, a forensic investigator with the St. Louis County medical xaminer's office. "This woman always had excuses as to where (Stansbury) might be. As time went on, people just stopped asking."

The office says Stansbury moved in with Bergmeier after the 1993 floods.

Haugen said Stansbury, who was born in 1913, moved in with Bergmeier after the 1993 floods. Other relatives didn't have contact with Stansbury after that.

How many excuses could there be that were believable after that amount of time? It is sad no one checked a lot sooner.

Investigators found an orange juice bottle with a 2003 expiration date inside the plastic that contained the remains. It's not clear if Stansbury died around that time or the bottle just ended up between the plastic wrappings. Haugen asked anyone who has seen her more recently than that to contact authorities.

That is an awful long time. There has to be a myriad of mental health issues going on in this situation. This should remind us to check in on family and other elderly more often.

You can read more here..
www.cbsnews.com...

Mods I did a search and didn't see anything. You know what to do if I missed it. Thanks.

edit on 3/8/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
same thing in PA a few months ago

www.wnep.com...

Elderly Woman Living with Corpses

i forget, it was her sister and husband i think...they were dug up from the cemetery and brought into the house....she was like 91, so there must have been am accomplice

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Now that is one episode I DON'T want to see on television!

A&E 'Hoarders'

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Jeez! One has to be on a whole different level of thinking to do things like this. That is the first I have heard of someone digging bodies up to live with them.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

I watch that. That's why I mentioned reality tv. Some of those folks have found mummified cats and various other woodland creatures under their hoard.

It brings a whole new meaning to seperation anxiety...

top topics

join