It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Good to Know" about our current budget situation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This is my first thread and I purposely chose a rather uninflammatory topic. I simply wanted to provide some information in an easy to follow format so that when we are talking about our Government spending we have an informed place to start. (Deny ignorance)

The first link goes to a Washington Post Fact Checker column which points out the misunderstandings many Americans have about the budget. For our lack of understanding, the American public was given four Pinocchios, the worst rating.

Budget summary

The second link goes to a similar column discussing the current give and take between the Republicans and the Democrats over budget cuts. The President's claim that he is meeting the Republicans halfway is given three Pinocchios.

Current budget differences

The third link goes to a news story about the House Minority Whip, Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), who is predicting it will take twenty years to balance the budget, even with optimistic assumptions.

Balancing the budget? Not soon.

My guess is that the economy will be the most significant political issue in the next four years. The scope of government and it's spending was the main propelling factor behind the Tea Party. It still has the power to move people. Steadily increasing prices will only turn up the heat on Americans and will, eventually, result in major discontent.

I know this is only the most basic information. Feel free to add more through your posts.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I did not know that most of the budget expenses were for medicaid, social security, etc. I just had no idea how the budget expense percentages broke down. Thanks for starting this post I am interested in learning more about this subject.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Personally, I still think the defense spending is way too high running a close 2nd to SS, particularly when you look at where the revenue comes from.

I had actually seen the budget chart before but, I actually like this one a little better:

www.wallstats.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Interesting info
Obama tops government-pay Top 10 list

10. Secretary of state: Hillary Clinton
• Annual base salary: $186,600
9. Secretary of Treasury Timothy Geithner
• Annual base salary: $191,300
8. Senate majority leader: Harry Reid
• Annual base salary: $193,400
7. Chairman of the Federal Reserve: Benjamin Bernanke
• Annual base salary: $199,700
6. Chief justice of United States: John G. Roberts
• Annual base salary: $217,400
5. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: Adm. Michael Mullen
• Annual base salary: $220,734.36
4. Speaker of the House: John Boehner
• Annual base salary: $223,500
3. Vice president: Joseph Biden
• Annual base salary: $227,300
2. Postmaster general: Patrick R. Donahoe
• Annual base salary: $245,000
1. President: Barack Obama
• Annual base salary: $400,000
www.marketwatch.com...

Never understood why a president needs a salary given the free house, transportation, food, etc that comes with it and I bet that total compensation profile sits at a couple million a year

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

Actually with the exception of state dinners the president has to buy his own food.

top topics

join