It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing wins Tanker contract

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kondor

kondor,

It's great that you have taken an interest in so many threads but exactly what is your point in posting so many of these performance tables on at least three threads I have just read? You haven't said anything else, just posted the tables so what is the point? If you have one I would just like to know what it is.

You need to realise also that many of the quoted numbers are very subjective as different sub variants of aircraft and conditions will produce very different results, so using them to rank any aircraft performance metric is fraught with danger. For example on the thread where you listed airliner performance data two numbers stand out as examples. Passenger numbers and weights. There have been several variants of the 747 that have greater numbers of seats than just about any inservice variant of the A-380 so it could be argued that the 747 has a greater seat count, see my point?

Empty weights is another. I can tell you from my own experience of carrying out aircraft re-weighs (in this case both the 747 and A-380) that no two aircraft are the same, even when they have rolled off the production line sequentially to each other, there are always differences, sometimes small, sometimes large.

Same goes for other performance measures like fuel capacity and range, both of which are highly dependent upon physical characteristics and atmospheric conditions. For example the difference in maximum fuel capacity of the 747-400ER based on nothing more than the highest and lowest fuel SG (Specific Gravity) in the aircraft refueling manual is around 10,000kg's, hardly a small amount you will agree and one which will affect maximum range by a few hundred nautical miles. This principle was used by Qantas and Boeing to set a world record when the airlines first 747-400 was delivered in 1989 non-stop from London to Sydney on a flight that was 11,185 miles, far more than the standard quoted range as you can see. It was achieved by placing the aircraft in a heated hangar and then filling the tanks to the brim with a high density fuel that was basically just chilled and left outside in the cold night air, the combination of chilled fuel and warm (thus increased volume in the tanks due to thermal expansion) aircraft increased the amount of fuel carried. Coupled with no revenue passengers and only around 20 people on board saw this range achievable.

As I said it's great you are taking an interest but I would just like to understand the point of the data, and hope you understand that the information is really only good as a rule of thumb measure.

LEE.

edit on 13-6-2011 by thebozeian because: Because I can..

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
From these tables you can make a comparison between different aircraft from the same category. I know that usually aircraft have more versions that have different characteristics between them, but my idea was to compare the best versions of each aircraft, so you can see how they compare related to each other.

You said that there are some versions of Boeing 747 that have more seats than Airbus A 380. In my tables I have put the maximum seat capacity for each aircraft. Yes, if you have more than one class, the number of the seats is lower

From the official sites:

Boeing 747-400ER : 524 seats maximum

Airbus 380 : 853 seats maximum

www.boeing.com...

www.airbus.com...

<< 1   >>

join