It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning Of Food Price Riots In The UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Warning Of

uk.news.yahoo.com

A senior economist at the worldwide bank HSBC has warned of civil unrest in Britain if food prices continue to soar.

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, senior global economist Karen Ward cautioned that the UK could experience the kind of food riots seen in other countries.

"Even in the developed world I think we have very, very low wage growth, so people aren't getting more in their pay packet to compensate them for food and energy, and I think we could see social unrest certainly in parts of the developed world and the UK as well."

She went on to highlight the link between high food p
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-3-2011 by orinoco4 because: words not showing

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Definately time to stock up on those essentials now, if you have not already, i've been in a bad situation recently with no spare money after bills since before christmas, thankfully I have some spare this month and will be heading to the shops tomorrow. Worrying times ahead especially in the UK as we're not allowed to have guns, I have about a three month supply generally of normal food, and a 1000 litre tank to store water, I really hope this will be enough.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by orinoco4

Get some swords / shields / plate armor. You'll be good.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Great find mate .
This has been planned for a long time , they want us to kill each other over food .

Worrying times , if this happens im off to Venezuela .

Peace

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonified Ween

Get some swords / shields / plate armor. You'll be good.

Don't forget the health/mana potions

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
food is increasing daily....i went to the shops last week and bottled water that was 2.09 is now 2.49. Everything is either getting more expensive or the companies producing it are making the contents smaller to confuse you into thinking theres no price increase.
Bottles of beer used to contain 330ml....certain brands now contain 284ml.
Its all a scam...some like myself notice the size of products shrinking but the prices staying the same..but most are blind to it.
It used to be chocolate bars that were effected by this shrinking...but it seems that most companies have decided to use this method to hide the rising costs...who notices a few grams here and there?? Not many people

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It's worrying to be sure. I began stocking up a few months ago, tbh.
There's more than a few local farms closing too. That's also worrying.

As for weaponry (for poaching when food becomes too dear for the majority of low-wagers with access to the countryside), bows & arrows or crossbows, whilst technically illegal to own, can still be easily purchased at any military hardware shop without ID.
High-powered air rifles (which can easily take down a rabbit = three meals) require ID, but can still be bought easily enough in the UK.

It is also relatively easy to grow your own veg in a window box, if one doesn't have access to a garden. But I would reccomend buying seeds soon, before they too increase their price still further.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Food prices soaring in the US too - I went to the store today and its taking me twice
the amount of time to shop. The reason being I have to try to get the most and best
for my money.

Its not great to open a box of cereal and discovery the box is 3/4 empty
giving you only 1/4 of what it appears you are getting. I did learn the
cereal deception sometime back but now its in most all packaged
foods. I can understand some wanting to protest the prices, it
might happen in the US as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
can someone list things that you can store for time and that would be essential to ones survival.

right now i'm thinking:

-water
-canned beans
-rice
-bread (freeze it)

what else?

thanks in advance

also any other things that one might need?

-medical kits
-weapons
-fire tools
-hunting knife
-clothing

what else??

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I got elbowed in the ribs tonight looking at the student section in my local asda!
Almost had my hands on a cheap pizza when a lady in her late 40's barged me out of the way to grab the pizza and some sliced ham and a packet of sausage rolls. Did still manage to get a cheap loaf and some pasties

Last year a cheap loaf used to be 17p now it's 35p, and a decent loaf is now £1.35. Tins of Beans/Peas/Soup are still only about 16p (own brand). Can't see any problems/shortages at asda/tesco/iceland, no panic yet

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
there are a lot of posts about what to do, in america.
but becarful. if people see that you dont go begging for food.
some people will notict. and will nock on you door.(smash it down)
and ask for a cup of suger.(and all the rest)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Sad to see so-called developed countries on verge of riots over food prices... Along with surprised that very few have gardens to raise their own food.. Cheaper and easier than stockpiling items that will expire if not used by X date...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

You need proteins. Go to Holland and Barret, they sell Hemp protein- disgusting but nutritionally BRILLIANT! Also learn to dry fruits and veggies:dried stuff takes a small volume, making it portable just in case u need to bug out. Go for the "basic" brands on canned fish, fruits, meat, soups. You can store large quantities with little money.

Do not forget sanitation and medical supplies. Also get more info on what you can eat for free from the nature, spring is near and i tell u there is quite some food u can have for free.

food for free - good book, also on WHSmith

link2 - eat for free

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What I can never figure out is peoples insistence on "stocking" up on food. At best you get what a couple months supply, then what. Then your back to the same problem that faced you before hand, paying the high prices for the food. Because I really can't imagine if there was an all out food shortage or whatever that it would be resolved within a couple months time. To each their own I guess it just seems to me that people are shielding off the inevitable. If anything invest in alternative ways to acquire the needed food, ie being self dependent growing your own food, learning how to hunt, eating other foods you would not normally consider.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Learn to cook. I cannot stress this enough. Also, invest in a depression era cookbook. They are full of recipes that are designed to get a lot of food for a little bit of money. If bread is expensive....make your own loafs and freeze them. White bread is very easy to make. You can buy things like powdered milk if you can stand it and purchase any meat you buy in bulk and cut it yourself. Its cheaper to buy a whole chicken and break it down than to buy breasts alone...plus you can use the bones to make a halfway decent chicken stock. Buy a food dehydrator and make some jerky. if you dont have a yard...you can grow veggies hydroponically indoors. Investing in a full spectrum Fluorescent light ...(T5's would be best) and a grow tent may come in handy for more than just clandestine grow ops.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I'm just going to chime in here with my own quick list as I see some of these things are being overlooked:

Essential -
Food
Rain collecting containers
Water purifier (with washable filters, not disposable)
Candles
Hobo stove
Seeds!

If you can afford it -
Wind-up appliances
Generator
Solar cells
Hydroponic growth room
Non-lethal defense weapons (.22 caliber is perfect). Non-lethal is important because you never know who's going to be handy later on. This is a time where love is paramount. What's a couple of .22 rounds between friends?

There is more, I'm sure... I don't have my list handy.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Jeff Randall is a former mainstream London broadsheet editor and BBC business correspondent,so knows how to make stories.
The timing of this seems strange after HSBCs revolts following announcements that UK banks would have an annual levy much bigger than thought.
If HSBC are so informed about potential food riots,then their management who are getting maga bonus payments wont be too concerned.
HSBC were one of the culprits responsible for capitalising on weak regulation and were happy to give money like confetti when it suited them.
They say that their global income in not reliant on the UK whose business there only accounts for 10%.
Why are they still here then ?
www.dailymail.co.uk...

As regards increaded food prices this is a consequence of rising fuel prices,and other factors such as shortage in wheat following the fires in Russia,and the drought in China.
The discussion on stockpiling is very worthy of going into since it is something I have seen happening.
We have a well known £1 shop in the UK who for some time was selling 1.5kg bags of sugar for £1.
They appear to have stopped them and probably because people were buying 6 months supply.

3 years ago,I was talking to a senior Police officer who was at a fuction for an officers wedding which I attended.
There had days before been briefings and exercises about response to a major terrorist incident.
He was talking of dirty bombs.
He told that contingency plans were in place for containment and civil defence.
I asked what that meant-he said you need to stock up with supplies because you wont get near any shops.
Following that,I spent a week reading internet protect and survive sites where there is loads of info including lists.
The biggest worry seems to be contamination of water supplies-I went out and bought some of those containers that you use for rain in garden.
3x75 litres which are now in the attic with supply pipes going down to taps in kitchen.

I then went to Asda and bought tins of Sardines,corned beef,beans,powdered milk,packet soups ...all these things usually can have 2 or 3 year dates.
Go to the £1 shops for vitamin tablets.
I bought a cheap radio and a few packs of rechargeable batteries,also a small invertor which runs off the car battery to charge them....and anything else.
I bought an NBC suit from ebay for £15 and an S10 gas mask.with filters for same.
Other things;
Candles
Decent torches
First aid kit
Chocalate and cordials
Ducktape-cheap from £1 shops
I bought new plastic dustbin with lid -this would be used as toilet after filling with chemicals and disinfectant.

Social unrest or terrorist attacks are likely to bring disruption to everything we take for granted.
I have a couple of these gas cookers which come in a plastic case -you can buy new for £10
They take little gas cans which can get in packs of 4.

On the survival sites if you look on the internet-there are other things like iodine tablets which are worth having.

So just a few pointers there.....I think we should not only be prepared for food shortages,but in the times we see now for any situation which could accelerate the need to have not only food-but events that will prevent you getting it.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
my son won the science fair with one of the best things I have ever seen...a solar powered pizza box oven. Pizza box, dowels, tin foil and a piece of plexiglass and that pup gets up to 300+ degrees. Im sure there are specs online. everyone should have one. We were able to even bake cookies in ours.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomzilla

Great find mate . This has been planned for a long time , they want us to kill each other over food .

You are correct.

PURDUE UNIV - THE GLOBALIZATION OF CORPORATE CRIME: FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL CARTELS OF THE 1990s - March 1, 2003

“In the past 20 years, the real price (adjusted for inflation) of food for consumers has increased by 2.8 percent, while the real price paid to farmers for their crops has decreased by 35.7 percent ”
www.clevelandfoodcoop.org...

This is from 1997 two years after the ratification of the World Trade Union

The world's top 500 companies, it seems, employ 0.05 per cent of the world's population but control a quarter of the world's economic output.

The combined assets of the 50 biggest companies is now 60 per cent of the world's Dollars 20 trillion of productive capital.

In eight sectors, including cars, aerospace, electronics, steel, armaments and media, the top five corporations now control 50 per cent of the global market.

Increasingly the question is: who governs them? And for whom? Ten corporations now control nearly every aspect of the world's food chain. Four control 90 per cent of the world's exports of corn, wheat, tobacco, tea, pineapple, jute and forest products. www.guardian.co.uk...

This is what happened in 1995:

...One of the most influential in creating the WTO in the first place was an organization called the IPC or the International Food and Agricultural Trade Policy Council or International Policy Council, for short.

The IPC was created in 1987 explicitly to drive home the GATT agriculture rules of WTO at Uruguay talks. The IPC demands removal of ‘high tariff’ barriers in developing countries, remaining silent on the massive government subsidy to agribusiness in the USA.

A look at the IPC membership will explain what interests it represents.
The Chairman is Robert Thompson, former Assistant Secretary US Department of Agriculture and former Presidential economic adviser.
Also included in the IPC are Bernard Auxenfans, former chairman Monsanto France; Allen Andreas of ADM/Toepfer;
Andrew Burke, Bunge (US);
Dale Hathaway former USDA official and head IFPRI (US).
Other IPC members include Heinz Imhof, chairman of Syngenta (CH)
Rob Johnson of Cargill (US) and USDA Agriculture Policy Advisory Council;
Guy Legras (France) former EU Director General Agriculture,
Rolf Moehler (Germany) former EU Director General Agriculture
. Donald Nelson of Kraft Foods (US);
Joe O’Mara of USDA,
Hiroshi Shiraiwa of Mitsui & Co Japan;
Jim Starkey former US Trade Representative Assistant;
Hans Joehr, Nestle head of agriculture;
Jerry Steiner, Monsanto (US).
And Members Emeritus include Ann Veneman, herself a board member of a Monsanto subsidiary company before she became US Secretary of Agriculture for George W. Bush in 2001.

In effect the IPC is run by US-based agribusiness giants including Cargill, Monsanto, Bunge, ADM, the very interests which benefit from the rules they drafted for WTO trade. www.publiceyeonscience.ch...

...It was former Cargill Vice-President, Dan Amstutz was the negotiator appointed to head the delegation, “...who drafted the original text of the Uruguay Round Agreement on Agriculture. Opening Southern markets and converting peasant agriculture to corporate agriculture is the primary aim of Cargill and hence the Agreement on Agriculture.
But opening markets for Cargill implies closure of livelihoods for farmers. W.T.O. rules are not just about trade. They determine how food is produced and who controls food production. For Cargill, capturing Asian markets is key. Asia happens to be the largest agricultural economy of the world, with the majority involved in agriculture. Converting self-sufficient food economies into food dependent economies is the Cargill vision and the W.T.O. strategy. www.zmag.org...

Since then 60% of the farmers in Portugal are gone, 75% of the farmers in Mexico are gone, a farmer suicides in India every 30 minutes and Defra has dropped farming from its name in the UK. Now US farmers are square in the sights of the Ag Cartels and most will be gone within the decade thanks to the new "Food Safety Modernization Act" of 2010.

The USA grows 25% of the world's grain:

US Gardens may be targeted: www.openmarket.org...

The Tesser Amendment does NOT exempt small farms. www.activistpost.com...

About the US food law: www.forbes.com...

b]Background and History
United States:
www.opednews.com...
1996rFeedom to farm Act: archive.corporatewatch.org...

WORLD:
www.smirkingchimp.com...
www.smirkingchimp.com...
www.smirkingchimp.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
i somehow doubt that the uk will see food riots, but if people keep talking about it in the news then i suppose it is a possibility as it will give people ideas.
i do think there will be riots of other types in the near future though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join